DIY Jeep Hood Latch - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > DIY Jeep Hood Latch

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
R3dRid3r
2013 JK Wrangler 

Cleaver fix. I haven't notice a flutter on my new '13 but guess one can develop over time. Need these ideas in case it does.

Unread 11-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Sorry it didn't work for, but

Read post #8, it's notta wifes tale-

JIMBO
I read your post. I thought the rubber gasket idea was great. I think that is what has prevented the flutter and not the removal of the hood spring. I am just going by my experience. Removing the spring did nothing. I wish I knew about the rubber gasket idea! Next time

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbass51 View Post
Removed the spring on my 2007 right after I got it and haven't had any hood flutter at all! Not a wives tale!
Then you are lucky! Didn't have to spend any money

Do you still have the air damn on?

Unread 11-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbass51 View Post
Removed the spring on my 2007 right after I got it and haven't had any hood flutter at all! Not a wives tale!
It all depends on the relative speed of the wind under there. Lots of people still have problems after removing the spring.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, you're probably right, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK View Post
I read your post. I thought the rubber gasket idea was great. I think that is what has prevented the flutter and not the removal of the hood spring. I am just going by my experience. Removing the spring did nothing. I wish I knew about the rubber gasket idea! Next time
I have an old box full if different rubber gasket lengths I bought years ago, when restoring one of my Dodge Ramchargers and the rubber trunk gasket mat'll just looked RIGHT for that job and it was--

Jeeps is money takers-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
ncb

Seems like the air going through the radiator or under the front bumper pushing against all the square inches of the hood would be the cause of lifting. Mine still bounces with out the little spring.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #22
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, thats a good point, I guess thats what the stock "AIRDAMs" main purpose is--however

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Seems like the air going through the radiator or under the front bumper pushing against all the square inches of the hood would be the cause of lifting. Mine still bounces with out the little spring.
Most ofus have already removed that and the mechanical hindrances/radiator will slow down the air velocity/vertical mass-and the air velocities at the hood front/side edges is still at 60/70/80 mph-

Now on mine, I don't have the plastic airdam, but do have a forward skidplate that directs air DOWN and my radiator airflow is hindered by the A/C condenser/Aux cooler and I've got the front hood forward "LIP" gasket-

Now, if you want to figure pure airflow/velocity/mass/lift capacity/hood mass/weight/reciprocating flutter capacity--you'll have one answer-

My hood doesn't flutter at any legal freeway speed and that includes crosswinds /w oncoming 18 wheelers !

Smokemifyougotem

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #23
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK
Removing the hood spring does not work. I feel like that is some old wive's tale. I had horrible hood flutter after removing my air damn on a rock. I tried removing the spring. No change, at all. So I bought the Daystars from Amazon, reinstalled my hood spring and have had 0 flutter, even in very windy conditions. It doesn't move at all. I forget all about what I was going through until I see threads like this. Daystars also do not bend the hood. That is just false. Op, your's look great! I actually like that look better than the Daystars, it reminds me of the Drake hood pins. Nice job!
Beg to differ. Removing the hood spring was a 100% fix for me. Further, the Daystars DO pull the hood corners into a bend. There is insufficient support under the latches to brace against the Daystar's increased force.
Unread 11-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just because a symptom goes away doesn't mean it's cured.

Lack of a problem isn't proof that the problem doesn't exist. If it worked for you, great. It's not a bad first step. But you can't point to yours and say "It fixed this one so you're wrong!" to someone who's still having the problem. That's no different than if I argued with people who need 3.6 head replacements just because mine hasn't started the death-tick yet.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio
Just because a symptom goes away doesn't mean it's cured. Lack of a problem isn't proof that the problem doesn't exist. If it worked for you, great. It's not a bad first step. But you can't point to yours and say "It fixed this one so you're wrong!" to someone who's still having the problem. That's no different than if I argued with people who need 3.6 head replacements just because mine hasn't started the death-tick yet.
Removing the hood spring has worked for many people with the issue, that's how we learned about it and it worked for us. Problem solved.
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #26
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

To the op , nice work! I cheaped out and put in Daystars at around 10, 000 miles. Up until that point I thought maybe they stiffened the rubber for the 2012's , but they wear out just like the others.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #27
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66
Remloving the hood spring has worked for many people with the issue, that's how we learned about it and it worked for us. Problem solved.
You can't just finish your post with blanket statements "Problem Solved". Just as many of us have tried to remove the hood spring and still had flutter. Me included. Obviously that is not a fix for all. I put my hood spring back in after I installed the Daystars and my hood hasn't moved. If your hood spring theory is correct shouldn't my hood be fluttering again??

Similar to, I got death wobble on my ride home today. Swapped in a new steering stabilizer..problem solved.

Unread 11-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #28
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

I can't remember the last time I had hood flutter. Not since it was new.

The only thing I did to that area was grill inserts. Maybe that is why I don't get the flutter anymore.
I think I have the metalcrafters set. One piece unit.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #29
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
I can't remember the last time I had hood flutter. Not since it was new.

The only thing I did to that area was grill inserts. Maybe that is why I don't get the flutter anymore.
I think I have the metalcrafters set. One piece unit.
I have DIY inserts that have been in since it was new, but the hood flutter and buffeting still crept up with time. I live near some windy flat lands so that may have stressed the stock rubber prematurely.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #30
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Remloving the hood spring has worked for many people with the issue, that's how we learned about it and it worked for us. Problem solved.
Hey guys, I plugged that water leak with some duct tape! Problem solved.
Utah Jeep Crew #148

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.