Discount Tire mounting 12.5 tire on 7.5 rim - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Discount Tire mounting 12.5 tire on 7.5 rim

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesJuly 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!

Unread 05-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

This is why you need "a guy".

My tire guy will mount any tire I show up with to any tire I have, plus I get it cheap.

WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2015, 08:52 AM   #17
Dovi82nd

I found some 35"s that are 285, could I fit them on the stock rims? and if so someone told me that if I were to get 35" i would lose power
Dovi82nd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #18
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Simple answer yes and yes.
I have two sets of tires - on the 7.5 rim I dont care much for the 35" AT tire - it ends up with a lot more sidewall deflection. The increased slip angle makes at speed turns feel lazy (under-steered entry) to me. Not enough that I've taken em off yet (total body roll is still not trying to overcome the tire enough to worry me). And honestly as my on road set - i've never aired down below 23 - my cold PSi is 28 - at 30 cold it grows to 34 and the pyrometer shows me hot center.
But my off road set (and yes I know its a different tire but they match load rate) is 35 PitBulls on 9" and the feel is a ton more responsive (less mush when going into a curve at 65) to me.

Yes a larger diameter tire changes your final gear ratio so engine torque is not being multiplied at the same rates. It will feel more underpowered at the high demand times - but carry more momentum in the cruise and scrub velocity faster in decel. SO as you loose acceleration multiplication - make it up by driving style that uses momentum more, or regear. I LOVE gearing and its feel. SO for me 35 and 5.13 was done at same time - with a plan for 33" on 7.5 road set (my driving style is to hit both ends - accelerate hard carry momentum and use the brake hard in an automatic - yes I go through brakes in about 80% of fleet average miles lower 20 percentile) - but that changed when I got five good Duratrac 35s free...
Unread 06-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #19
Dovi82nd

How noticeable is the difference... its a jeep so honestly Im not expecting a 0-60 in under 10 seconds but i do like zipping out real quick. Is it very noticeable or just a little different, on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is a significant difference. Also whats the different in MPG?
Unread 06-15-2015, 06:45 AM   #20
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Keep in mind I did not experience under geared - I mounted 35s while it was getting gears so both went at same time. But it was a zippy little bastard coming home on stock 32s with 5.13! Try them. They're only tires, not a lifetime commitment - you can probably find a swap out if you don't like em... That's how I got my 35 street tire - traded my 32swhhels and all with a guy who had 35s on the 3.21 stick sport and hated it. And I think the throttle management on these things makes undergearing feel worse than really is. Understand it comes down to expectations - so for me its up around 8 on the scale, my brother is a very mellow driver and would probably put it around 6. Grandma would not even notice. ��
Unread 06-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #21
duneslider
Web Wheeler
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had 15x7 wheels for a long time with 35x12.5 tires. I didn't have any issues. The wheels I have now are 15x8 with 35x12.5. I didn't notice any difference between the wheels.

I run 26-28 psi.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #22
Dovi82nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Keep in mind I did not experience under geared - I mounted 35s while it was getting gears so both went at same time. But it was a zippy little bastard coming home on stock 32s with 5.13! Try them. They're only tires, not a lifetime commitment - you can probably find a swap out if you don't like em... That's how I got my 35 street tire - traded my 32swhhels and all with a guy who had 35s on the 3.21 stick sport and hated it. And I think the throttle management on these things makes undergearing feel worse than really is. Understand it comes down to expectations - so for me its up around 8 on the scale, my brother is a very mellow driver and would probably put it around 6. Grandma would not even notice. ��
My stock tires are 31"s and I'm guessing that you lost the zippy feeling AFTER you switched the stock tires out?

and to dune slider thanks very much! this is very helpful!
Unread 06-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #23
riddoch
2013 JK Wrangler 

The real question is how did they react to your wheel spacers? I assume you're running them with stock rims and no lift? I've had retailers refuse to work on previous cars because they just thought I had spacers (I didn't) and I've heard discount tire can be sticklers about it as well. Maybe you just took the wheels off and had the tires mounted? I want 295 trail grappers with stock rims and DT is the only nitto dealer I can find.
riddoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #24
Dovi82nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddoch View Post
The real question is how did they react to your wheel spacers? I assume you're running them with stock rims and no lift? I've had retailers refuse to work on previous cars because they just thought I had spacers (I didn't) and I've heard discount tire can be sticklers about it as well. Maybe you just took the wheels off and had the tires mounted? I want 295 trail grappers with stock rims and DT is the only nitto dealer I can find.
I have a two inch budget boost. I am using stock 17" rims. I was just going to buy the tires them selves and take them to get balanced at the MWR Auto Shop on Ft. Belvoir

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.