Discount Tire mounting 12.5 tire on 7.5 rim - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Discount Tire mounting 12.5 tire on 7.5 rim

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 08-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
jarrod318
2007 JK Wrangler 

Discount Tire mounting 12.5 tire on 7.5 rim

I just dropped my Jeep off to Discount to mount my new Nitto Trail Grapplers. The tech said that i am an idiot for tryign to mount a 12.5 tire on a 7.5 rim. I have done my homeowork and seen many Jeep running this set up with no issues so i was pretty angry. After speaking with the manager and showing the forum he made me sign a waiver. They did freak me out a bit though. Will i have any issues with this set up? The Trail Grapplers are rated E grade so the sides are stiff if that makes a difference.

jarrod318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

No... As long as you arent trying to run the max tire pressure (dumb to do it the first place) all that is going to do is give you a tighter bead at lower pressure... Ask them what size rim they would recommend when your only running 10 PSI with that tire and see how dumb they feel then.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
jarrod318
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thats what I was thinking too. What PSI would you recommed for the 35 inch Trail Grapplers?
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
tomwbates
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryJK4455 View Post
No... As long as you arent trying to run the max tire pressure (dumb to do it the first place) all that is going to do is give you a tighter bead at lower pressure... Ask them what size rim they would recommend when your only running 10 PSI with that tire and see how dumb they feel then.
What pressure would you recommend running them at for Highway driving?
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Start at 30 (I run about 29 on my BFG's) and do the chalk test or adjust according to whether you want a stiffer or softer ride... Best to do the chalk test for even wear though... It all depends on how heavy your Jeep is according to bumpers/winches/lift and whether its a 2dr or 4dr... 30 is a good start pressure though. Off road, I would air down to 10-15psi if needed, i.e. sand, rocks, so on and so forth.
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
jarrod318
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice, thanks again Military.
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

While you're at Discount tire have them use the finger plates for balancing. They usually have them available.
Blu-Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Even myself knowing a lot about tires, it's always a pain in the butt when these "professionals" think they know everything. I had my tires balanced at NTB, and they even gave me a hard time for having my tires at 28 psi and said, "that's good for driving in the sand but not on pavement". Really!? They recommended them at 33 psi. I didn't want to argue with them, but I did tell them that if they REALLY think that 5 psi is going to make a difference be my guest. I later put them back at 28.
SaxManClay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I happen to have had good experiences at Discount - on the other hand, my recent experience with selling a set of USED 32s to a person who took them to Discount or Wallmart and they would not mount them - too used they said. These "professional" tire people seem more interested in selling new tires and rims - no money to be made in mounting used tires on old rims! Sign of the economy if you ask me...anyway, mount them, run them, use them...ignore the sales pitch.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
jarrod318
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok so they installed the tires and we are GTG. The lift goes on tomorrow which is a 3.25 RC.
new-tires-without-lift.jpg  
Unread 08-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I hate to say it.... But I told ya so Just kidding man... They look great! You will like it even better once the lift is on... You didnt have a problem with the rear tires hitting the pinch seam?
Unread 08-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
jarrod318
2007 JK Wrangler 

HAHAH, yes you did.

It is very close to the pinch seam but I have about an inch. I will post pix after the lift is done tomorrow.
Unread 08-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod318 View Post
HAHAH, yes you did.

It is very close to the pinch seam but I have about an inch. I will post pix after the lift is done tomorrow.
Cool beans man
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
jacobcasillas
2012 JK Wrangler 

i work at discount tire and the only reason they want you to get a bigger rim is because the bead of the tire can litteraly blow off the tire from the rim and act as a mini bomb if you hit a bump hard. Ive worked on jeeps (and own one myself) where this has happened. as long as you dont put it to the max tire pressure ull be fine. but as for them filling up ur tire pressure. most of those guys don't know what the hell to fill up a tire lol. just make sure your not over/under inflating your tires cause ull screw up the tire itself. 23-30 is perfect for on road and 7-15 is perfect for on road.
jacobcasillas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

They do it because of the liability. Tire manufacturers recommend 8.5" or more to mount a 12.5 tire. Imagine if a company did this without saying anything someone had a crash because a bead came off the wheel and then showed that to the courts. Bad news for said company. You are lucky that they let you sign a waiver. The discounts up in my area will refuse to do that work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
I happen to have had good experiences at Discount - on the other hand, my recent experience with selling a set of USED 32s to a person who took them to Discount or Wallmart and they would not mount them - too used they said. These "professional" tire people seem more interested in selling new tires and rims - no money to be made in mounting used tires on old rims! Sign of the economy if you ask me...anyway, mount them, run them, use them...ignore the sales pitch.
Its not to sell tires. I have seen way to many people put used tires on and then run them past the chords on the tire. As I said above its all liability and the company protecting itself. why would you want to risk something like that when the only thing touching the road on your Jeep are those tires.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.