Disabling the airbags - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Disabling the airbags

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-21-2006, 05:34 PM   #16
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not to hijack, but john_w, you mentioned the car being on. If I'm sitting in the driver's seat, but the vehicle is turned off, in park, key in my pocket, etc. and I get plowed in to from the front, will my airbag fire?

scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 08:20 PM   #17
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc
Not to hijack, but john_w, you mentioned the car being on. If I'm sitting in the driver's seat, but the vehicle is turned off, in park, key in my pocket, etc. and I get plowed in to from the front, will my airbag fire?
That's a good question. I believe the answer is no. I could be wrong, but I doubt very much that those components are active when the key is off... otherwise your battery would not last very long when parked.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #18
bperrypa

My only complaint about the Black Box function is that the info captured, without your consent, possibly will be used to beat you about the head and shoulders in court. Would this by extension, mean self-incrimination? I don't allow them to capture data, they force acceptance upon me by threat of bodily harm, by locking data capture with seat belt function. Seems the info captured is being coerced. Why would anyone work for the prosecution in their own trial, against their own defence? (just inciting comments here...LOL)
bperrypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 07:44 AM   #19
john_w

If the key is not in the ignition and turned to "on", the airbag module is not awake and will not fire the airbags in the event of a collision while parked.

Another misunderstanding about your bags is why they don't go off in any type of accident. They only fire when needed, given the particular crash event. So if you get in a pure frontal accident, only your front airbags go off, and not the sides. Same is true of a side impact, only sides go off and not the fronts. If it's angular you might get both. And if the accident is not severe enough, you might not get bags at all.

Regarding black boxes it is a two way street. The OEM's put that functionality in the airbag module, and it can protect them or hurt them in lawsuits. That's because the airbag system records the entire vehicle history at the time of the accident... including faults / issues with any system in the car that talks on the communication bus. So for example if you pulled the fuse on your ABS or ESP system, that data is known and recorded in the module if that fault is present at the time of airbag deployment.

In today's world of lawsuits, any time there is a vehicle accident with a fatality, the families of the parties involved are often interested in this black box data to ensure the safety systems were working properly at the time of the accident.
john_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.