Disabling the airbags - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Disabling the airbags

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 12-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Disabling the airbags

Just a quickie, is there a quick and elegant way to disable the airbags for off roading or is it a case of pulling the right fuse out?

Kyoseki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki
Just a quickie, is there a quick and elegant way to disable the airbags for off roading or is it a case of pulling the right fuse out?
Honestly, there's no real need. I've been stopped dead by rocks against front diff, by a stump caught on the belly plate that actually caused the seatbelts to lock... and never had (or heard of) and airbag going off when it wasn't needed offroad.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr
Honestly, there's no real need. I've been stopped dead by rocks against front diff, by a stump caught on the belly plate that actually caused the seatbelts to lock... and never had (or heard of) and airbag going off when it wasn't needed offroad.
Ok, well my friend was doing some offroading (in his YJ) with another friend of his in a TJ (yes, it's a friend of a friend story), the TJ ended up in a ditch, took a bit of a whack to the bumper and the airbags deployed, so it does happen
Unread 12-21-2006, 02:35 AM   #4
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

the pside will disable automatically if there is no one in the seat. i've run over a volkswagon and a cadillac, hit my front axle hard enough to rip the control arms off the passenger side, and rolled at 30mph in my TJ. my airbags never went off, and i walked away from all this without a scratch. leads me to believe that if an airbag goes off, i'll be glad it did.
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 05:10 AM   #5
neZZr

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDegenerate
the pside will disable automatically if there is no one in the seat. i've run over a volkswagon and a cadillac, hit my front axle hard enough to rip the control arms off the passenger side, and rolled at 30mph in my TJ. my airbags never went off, and i walked away from all this without a scratch. leads me to believe that if an airbag goes off, i'll be glad it did.
I also had a customer get towed in that went off the road at over 70mph and into a ditch. His front control arms bent in half and and pushed the front axle back almost under the belly skid. Airbags didn't deploy.

I'll be Savvy someday!
Unread 12-21-2006, 05:14 AM   #6
benbenben

Quote:
I also had a customer get towed in that went off the road at over 70mph and into a ditch. His front control arms bent in half and and pushed the front axle back almost under the belly skid. Airbags didn't deploy.

Thats reassuring to know
benbenben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 05:18 AM   #7
neZZr

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenben
Thats reassuring to know
The point is that they only deploy if they NEED to deploy. For some reason people think that the airbags should go off at the slightest tap. At work I get at least 3 people per year that get in a crash and then whine and moan that their airbags didn't go off... yet they were still unharmed.

The only time I've seen someone get hurt and the airbag didn't go off, the person was not wearing their seatbelt.

I'll be Savvy someday!
Unread 12-21-2006, 05:27 AM   #8
bigwrm

Quote:
The point is that they only deploy if they NEED to deploy. For some reason people think that the airbags should go off at the slightest tap. At work I get at least 3 people per year that get in a crash and then whine and moan that their airbags didn't go off... yet they were still unharmed.

The only time I've seen someone get hurt and the airbag didn't go off, the person was not wearing their seatbelt.
People that whine about the airbags not going off have never been infront of an air bag when one has gone off i'm thinking. I think those things are worse than the crash.
bigwrm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 05:29 AM   #9
neZZr

2005 TJ Wrangler 

They definitely can be. I cringe every time I see a woman driving and she's so close to the wheel that you can see daylight between the back of her seat, and the front of the passenger seat. I'm not sure how you could survive an airbag that close.

I'll be Savvy someday!
Unread 12-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
JeF4y

I'm sure it's on youtube or somewhere else, but on Dirty Jobs, Mike Rowe was working a day at a junk yard and they set a 55 gal drum (empty) on top of a 1st gen airbag and deployed it. That effen barrel flew probably +50 feet in the air. It was absolutely amazing. Frightening really...

People fail to realize that the force of the airbag needs to EQUAL that of the impact in order for it to be effective. If either is stronger (airbag or crash), you will be more seriously injured...
Unread 12-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #11
john_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeF4y
People fail to realize that the force of the airbag needs to EQUAL that of the impact in order for it to be effective. If either is stronger (airbag or crash), you will be more seriously injured...
Not force, but energy. The idea of the airbag is not to push you back and keep you in your seat, it is to reduce the force on your collarbone and pelvis that that the seat belt is putting on you.

Also, still thinking total energy: your car is crushing during the impact. That is absorbing energy from the impact too. So that airbag doesn't really need to equal the same amount of "force" (or energy) b/c it takes energy to crush your frame rails.

The reason airbag inflators go off so fast is because the airbag needs to be fully inflated before you start going into it. There are vent holes and/or porous fabric that allow the gas from the airbag to vent as you go into it. The force of your body pushing on that bag is what forces the air out of the bag which in turn is reducing how fast your body is moving toward the steering wheel.

I would not disable my airbag system. The older (15+ years) systems did have some primitive mechanical sensors to fire the bags, but now it is all computer controlled algorithms and engineering tests ahead of time the "inadvertent deployment" situations you mention (i.e. bumper takes a hammer blow, hard door slam, car hit by a shopping cart, etc).

Engineering also conducts test crashes with a 5th percent female (tiny) with the seat in the full frontal position. Airbags use tethers and other techniques like folding pattern so that the airbag does not come straight out but inflates radially.
john_w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 01:54 PM   #12
JeF4y

Thanks for elaborating John..
Unread 12-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
Bayou Boy

Also, airbags today use deceleration sensors to figure out whether or not to deploy the bags as opposed to the 1st gen bags that used impact sensors. The sensor in my 2000 Xterra was actually under the driver's seat.
Bayou Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Ah ok, so a heavy whack to the bumper won't cause them to go off these days, I guess there's no problem then.

Thanks all.
Unread 12-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #15
john_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
Also, airbags today use deceleration sensors to figure out whether or not to deploy the bags as opposed to the 1st gen bags that used impact sensors. The sensor in my 2000 Xterra was actually under the driver's seat.
99% correct (I work on this stuff in the auto industry).

The "old way" was to have stand-alone sensors, either mechanical or electronic with a little microcomputer and each sensor/computer would be dedicated for just 1 airbag. So for example, 1 sensor to fire left side airbag, 1 sensor to fire right side airbag, etc.

The "new way" is to have an array of sensors all around the vehicle, all electro-mechanical aka deceleration sensors that are all wired into a central module located at or near the middle of your car, many times on the tunnel, under the center console, etc... and now this central unit also has a sensor in it too as a "sanity check" that the car is truly in a crash event and not getting run into by a shopping cart. Example: sensor located in side sill area meant to detect side impacts is detecting a sudden deceleration -- because a shopping cart runs into the side of the car in a parking lot (and your engine is running, you are in park). Central computer sees that and compares with what it sees itself in the middle of the car, which let's say in this case is not moving. The two sensors don't correlate at all so therefore no airbag is deployed. This little computer is constantly reading in the data from all the sensors and comparing it to what it sees too (as long as your ignition is on).

That in a nutshell is what happens with airbag controllers of today. Of course there is a lot of deeper techie stuff that the software engineers do with algorithms, but that's mostly beyond me as well. Plus not to mention the "black box" functionality that the airbag controller has that lots of people don't seem to like here
john_w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.