Differential Fluid Change - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Differential Fluid Change

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #31
MacK
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

63,200 miles - should I be doing this?

I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #32
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaloholic View Post
1) The front differential fluid was really black and smelled like rancid ***. Is this normal?
Gear oil smells really bad if it has been mixed with water. At least that has been my experience.

Check your breather hose for cracks and make sure it terminates higher than any water you might cross...
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #33
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Anybody KNOW: If the factory trailer tow pack is installed at factory during new build (like my JK): Is 75W-90 OR 75W-140 instead filled in the rear??
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #34
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMack View Post
yes. If you have never done it, it is time to do it.
Unread 08-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #35
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinWesternWA View Post
Anybody KNOW: If the factory trailer tow pack is installed at factory during new build (like my JK): Is 75W-90 OR 75W-140 instead filled in the rear??
IIRC, 75-90w is the factory fill regardless of the tow package option. I can't find my notes on the source of that information though. I believe it was partially due to the fuel economy ratings that 75-90w was determined at the factory.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #36
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMack View Post
Holy moly.

I change mine at every other oil change; front is usually nice and pretty but the rear always looks hell.

And gear oil always smells rancid. A sweet death-like odor. Nothing gets my wife out of the garage better.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #37
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Im curious, are 15k-30k diff oil changes really needed? I know a guy with a Cherokee who hasn't done his diffs since his 150k miles service, and he is a little over 250k miles now. He's only changed he oil twice since he bought it.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:36 AM   #38
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
Im curious, are 15k-30k diff oil changes really needed? I know a guy with a Cherokee who hasn't done his diffs since his 150k miles service, and he is a little over 250k miles now. He's only changed he oil twice since he bought it.

You can't get better than Amsoil Severe Gear. I'd feel comfortable changing it only every 75k.

AMSOIL - SEVERE GEAR® Synthetic Extreme Pressure (EP) Lubricant 75W-110 (SVT)
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #39
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by montero1 View Post
You can't get better than Amsoil Severe Gear. I'd feel comfortable changing it only every 75k.

AMSOIL - SEVERE GEAR® Synthetic Extreme Pressure (EP) Lubricant 75W-110 (SVT)
I'm sorry but I would not use Amsoil in any of my vehicles . We used to have a B-sports racer ( A Chevron , Scotish built ) and were talked in using Amsoil . The results cost us an engine and an "Oh couldn't have been the oil" from the Amsoil guy . The bearings on the crank failed right by the oil pump feed ......... this never even showed wear with our normal Quaker State or Pennsoil ........... For me never again in anything . My $0.02
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #40
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernjack View Post
I'm sorry but I would not use Amsoil in any of my vehicles . We used to have a B-sports racer ( A Chevron , Scotish built ) and were talked in using Amsoil . The results cost us an engine and an "Oh couldn't have been the oil" from the Amsoil guy . The bearings on the crank failed right by the oil pump feed ......... this never even showed wear with our normal Quaker State or Pennsoil ........... For me never again in anything . My $0.02
Sorry, I don't buy a bit of it. Ever had an analysis done on this stuff? You couldn't find a stouter Gear Oil if you spent a week looking. As for the motor oil that you think failed, does everyone that races and has an engine fail blame the oil, or does the fact that they were racing have anything to do with it?
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #41
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
I've met a person that claims to smoke 3 packs a day and drink a quart of Scotch; she's the grandmother of a nurse I know and is nearly 100 years old. She's perfectly healthy and takes no medication.

But I don't think it's recommended; it would kill most people.

And, fwiw, Amsoil is a fine product with a long and glorious history of passing muster with mass spectrometer data sheets to prove it.

Everything that you'll ever want to know about oil is covered in THIS FORUM

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #42
rockingdaddy1
2009 JK Wrangler 

What about royal purple, anyone hear anything good or bad?
rockingdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #43
bgwright
2010 JK Wrangler 

21k Front and Rear Fluid Change: JK 2010 Unlimited Sport

Just did the fluid change. Took an hour because I was nervous but when the dealership told me that it was going to cost 359.00 bucks, I thought it was worth a try.

I put 75W/90 in the front and 75W/140 in the rear. I did a simple drain and refill in the front and then a thorough change in the back.

I could only get 1 QT in the front before it oozed out and 2 QT's in the back. It was a serious pain in the arse to not have a pump. Next time, I will and it will be much easier.

So, should I check it again since I only was able to to get 1QT in the front or is that normal? Being that I didn't get to take the cover off and do a more thorough job on the front, I am wondering if that is why I could only get 1 in there.

Thoughts?
bgwright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #44
saharac
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwright View Post
Just did the fluid change. Took an hour because I was nervous but when the dealership told me that it was going to cost 359.00 bucks, I thought it was worth a try.

I put 75W/90 in the front and 75W/140 in the rear. I did a simple drain and refill in the front and then a thorough change in the back.

I could only get 1 QT in the front before it oozed out and 2 QT's in the back. It was a serious pain in the arse to not have a pump. Next time, I will and it will be much easier.

So, should I check it again since I only was able to to get 1QT in the front or is that normal? Being that I didn't get to take the cover off and do a more thorough job on the front, I am wondering if that is why I could only get 1 in there.

Thoughts?
I did my diff fluid change today, and the same thing happened to me 1Q in front and 2Q in rear.
So what did you find out, did you refill it some more later on????
Unread 04-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #45
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

I figured doing one of these diff oil changes was self explanatory and figured it out myself, however I didnt know which diff oil to use. I decided to go with 75w90 synthetic Mobil 1.
07BlackOps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
diff fluid , differential , differential fluid change , differential fluid level , JK Wrangler , maintenance , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.