Differential Fluid Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Differential Fluid Change

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
-Zona-

Differential Fluid Change

I know I promised a write up on this, but while looking up what kind of fluid to buy, I came across this which does just as good (or better) job at explaining it:

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource Jeep JK Wrangler Maintenance Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

I used Mobil1 75w90, I would advise having a roll of shop-towels handy. If you have any questions that their write-up failed to cover feel free to ask it here and I will do my best to help you out, or you can send me a PM.

PS- I would have a pack of beer ready because diff fluid drains MUCH slower than oil (remember the viscosity is higher, so it will be more 'gooee').

-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I used that writeup when I did mine a while back too. It's a good one.

I recommend changing the transfer case fluid at the same time. You're supposed to inspect it when you change the diff fluids anyway, and if you go through the trouble of removing the skid plate and drain plug, why not just change the oil? Cost is less than $10.

I recommend having two different fluid transfer pumps on hand - one for the diff, one for the t-case.

I also use Mobile 1 75w90 in my front diff, but used the 140 in my rear due to towing.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
-Zona-

Quote:
I recommend changing the transfer case fluid at the same time. You're supposed to inspect it when you change the diff fluids anyway, and if you go through the trouble of removing the skid plate and drain plug, why not just change the oil? Cost is less than $10.
I'm a lazy *** and will do my inspection right before I go to change it.
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
NetworkMD
2008 WK 

These write up-s are great. I have 30K on my Rubicon and changing the diff's, Manual trans and Transfer case to Royal purple synth. Thanks for the information and pictures

Unread 12-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
I recommend having two different fluid transfer pumps on hand - one for the diff, one for the t-case.
I havn't done this yet.. Why do you need a transfer pump? The synthetic bottles I bought have pourable nozzles on them.
dirtyjpwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I went out and checked my 09 x model with the dana 30 up front and could not find a drain hole in the 30. I found it in the 44 in the rear but no drain on front axle. Am I losing my mind or missing something? The writeup says that dana 30 and 44's both have drain holes. anybody else mssing a drain whole up front?
Unread 12-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1398653 View Post
I went out and checked my 09 x model with the dana 30 up front and could not find a drain hole in the 30. I found it in the 44 in the rear but no drain on front axle. Am I losing my mind or missing something? The writeup says that dana 30 and 44's both have drain holes. anybody else mssing a drain whole up front?
look on the shaft input side of the pumpkin. There's 1/4 or 5/8 drive plug opposite the cover ...its there.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1398653 View Post
It's right behind I think the track bar. It's hiding back there facing forward.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjpwrangler View Post
I havn't done this yet.. Why do you need a transfer pump? The synthetic bottles I bought have pourable nozzles on them.
Because the angles are such that you can't really just pour it in. The rear one wasn't so bad, but the front one? Forget it. And you absolutely need a transfer pump for the t-case.

I had pourable bottles too - even with long necks - did no good. Do yourself a favour and spend a tiny amount of money on fluid transfer pumps - at least 2 (one t-case, one front diff), and if you put the different fluid in the rear diff, I'd get one for that too. When you're done, you can put them each in a zip lock and label it for what it is for.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Metaloholic
2007 JK Wrangler 

I recently did my first differential fluid change and all I can say is wow was that easy

Previous 2 times I paid $140.

Do it yourself, spent $40 on 4 quarts of mobil 1. Can't believe how stupid I was to have not done it myself. I am seriously worried now that the previous 2 times I brought it in for a change that the fluid was not changed and I have no clue what was put in. The shop I brought it to was a reputable transmission shop that I have heard good things about but I am still concerned that they screwed me over.

1) The front differential fluid was really black and smelled like rancid ***. Is this normal?

2) The rear differential fluid smelled fine, but had quite a few shavings in it. Is this also normal?

I also can notice how smooth the ride is now after the change. I'd hate to think if those ****ers never changed the fluid for 45,000 mi, there will be hell to pay
Metaloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
-Zona-

Quote:
1) The front differential fluid was really black and smelled like rancid ***. Is this normal?

2) The rear differential fluid smelled fine, but had quite a few shavings in it. Is this also normal?
1- No, it should be more of a 'gunmetal' color and not have a potent odor.

2- In my case, yes- but that's why you should clean of your drain plugs- they are magnetic and will grab as many shavings as they can hold.
Unread 12-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Metaloholic
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaJeep View Post
1- No, it should be more of a 'gunmetal' color and not have a potent odor.

2- In my case, yes- but that's why you should clean of your drain plugs- they are magnetic and will grab as many shavings as they can hold.
Right I cleaned the plugs real nice with brake cleaner. The smell in the front really bothers me and I guess I'll see when the next change is due if the problem persists.
Unread 12-30-2009, 01:52 AM   #13
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I've always noticed gear oil smells really bad. As far as the color, probably not supposed to be pitch black...
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

one more question, is it totally necessary to use a torque wrench? or can you just use a regular wrench until the bolts are tight? I don't have a torque wrench...
dirtyjpwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #15
Metaloholic
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjpwrangler View Post
one more question, is it totally necessary to use a torque wrench? or can you just use a regular wrench until the bolts are tight? I don't have a torque wrench...
I didn't. I just guesstimated on how tight it was before I loosened it. I imagine 35-ft lbs is probably a little more than hand tightened.

Tags
diff fluid , differential , differential fluid change , differential fluid level , JK Wrangler , maintenance , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.