Difference between lifts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Difference between lifts?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Critchy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Difference between lifts?

I'm fairly new to jeeps (recently bought my first, 2012) and was looking at gettin a lift kit. Probably not gonna get tires any bigger than 35's. Was looking at getting a teraflex 4'' lift. Price really isn't something I'm worried about. I was wondering if someone could inform me on the difference between the TeraFlex 4" LCG Long Arm Suspension System with SpeedBumps and the TeraFlex 4" Suspension System with Shocks. Or even make a better recommendation!

Critchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Critchy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Both of these are found on www.quadratec.com!
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

What lift is best for you depends on your use of your Jeep.

Descibe your use and you will get some good advice.

BTW, you do not need 4" to run 35" tires. 3.5" will do and you can do some trimming and run 35's on a 2.5" lift.

Between the two you listed the long arm kit is going to be the more pricey, more involved and more capable suspension. But once you go long arm you cannot go back due to the extensive modifications required.

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

or get a Rubicon Express lift.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...px?part=re7141
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Critchy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm a teacher, and go back and forth to school everyday, but the jeep is just for me and i go offroading as often as possibly. So would getting a long arm be worth it? is it better?? I wanted to go with a 4" simply because its bigger and might upgrde to 37's in the future
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Critchy
2012 JK Wrangler 

also was looking at getting the more expensive one because it seems to have everything necessary that i might need in the long run. Any advice would be great!
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

You will need to replace the drive lines too on any ting over 2.5 in a JK. some will say na its fine, it aint unless you just DD at the malls. Last thing you want is a drive line fail on the trail. I think you have a JK(2door) FOR SURE the rear drive will not work stock on anything over3.5, call Tom woods or a nother good custom shaft maker. One issue you will have in the rear is high pinion angle with the new drive shaft cardin type, to keep the pinon bearings from frying you will need to over fill the rear dif. Not so easy with a stock dif cover. So you may want the ARB dif cover with the high fill plug and dip stick to measure how over filled it is.(optional) I had to park on a very steep hill put my oil in LOL. Front drive shaft you are in a pickle like me the AFE pipe is for JKU's only I have read and it seems that from what I can see under the jeep we aint going to get a pipie by the fuel tank as well( i am waiting to hear more on this from other that are in this place as well. At 4.5+ lift all Jks front drive lines will be about max flex just sitting on the road. you get that front left tire down in a flex it will bind that front shaft. SO a toms front drive shaft is needed too. I think we should get/go with a twin cardine one as well or we will have issue with caster and that can lead to death wobble even on a new jeep. A high angled pinion on the front is going to make it a bad DD. If you are like me I do both DD and wheel a few time a month and not just an easy dirt road.

my 20cents and more
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Critchy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Doc! Could you maybe explain that more to me? I am fairly new and the last thing I want to do is mess up my jeep!
Unread 01-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Maybe we can help you get setup and on the right direction...

If you like Teraflex and what they have to offer, then stick with them. Are there other good lifts on the market, yes but if you like this one, they have everyting you need to get going.

There is a lot of good things that have been stated in this thread. A LA kit will be better all around but you really cant go back once you go that direction. Also, you will need new drive shafts but Teraflex also offers those as well as the exhaust spacers. So, you can have a complete, 100% Teraflex setup. A lot of guys run parts and pieces from different companies but you can do it all with Teraflex.

It will also allow you to run up to a 37" tire. That wont be a issue.

Feel free to PM, email, or call us if you have any questions. We are more than happy to answer them for you and help you get setup! We also have free shipping on all Teraflex products so that will help you save in the long run as well! Oh, and welcome to the forum...

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

You can't go wrong with a Teraflex lift. From reading what you've said so far I'd suggest you do some reading on what all's required to go 4". You can probably go with a 2.5" kit to start with and add as you go bigger, if that's what you trully want to do. The rig will be very capable with a good 2.5" suspension. It'll be a dog if you go el cheapo. Where this stuff is concerned you really do get what you pay for.

The long vs short arm debate wrt JKs rages on. I have a standard TF 4" suspension that as Krawl alluded to has been tweaked with a load of Synergy stuff. It's taken me everywhere from Farmington to Moab to mountain trails around here and never left me feeling like I needed more suspension. The basic TF kit required additional expenditures for steering correction, driveshafts and regearing. Over time it got a number of upgrades where I thought Poly Performance (Synergy) had a better solution than Teraflex, or in some cases Tera didn't have anything period. With the JK having been on the scene for 6 model years now the kit manufacturers have all pretty much gotten dialed in on what works, what doesn't, so if you stick with the top brands you won't be disappointed.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critchy View Post
I'm fairly new to jeeps (recently bought my first, 2012) and was looking at gettin a lift kit. Probably not gonna get tires any bigger than 35's. Was looking at getting a teraflex 4'' lift. Price really isn't something I'm worried about. I was wondering if someone could inform me on the difference between the TeraFlex 4" LCG Long Arm Suspension System with SpeedBumps and the TeraFlex 4" Suspension System with Shocks. Or even make a better recommendation!
I wish you had included parts number to know which lifts you were talking about. The long arm is easy, but they have several other non long arm 4 inch lifts.

I just had Teraflex install there 4inch LCG long arm kit with bump stops (1257490) and I went with the Elka Shocks. I'm lucky as I'm about 2 hours from their office so I was able to test drive a couple of there rigs to see how I liked the feel.

I liked how the 4 in long arm kit with the Elka shocks rode. I drove it on city streets and on the freeway at speeds over 85mph.

There is not much of a price different between the long arm lift and the Med arm kit, about 500.00

JK Elite 4" Kit no shocks (4dr) SKU: 1457400 @ $2,941.99
4" JK Suspension w/Full 8 FlexArm System - no Shocks (4 door)
SKU: 1156400 $2,401.99

The bigger difference is the time and work required to install a long arm lift. The long arm requires twice as much time to install, as you have to cut off all the stock arm mounting points and weld on the new ones as well as all the other work.

If you are looking for a 4inch lift go with the long arm. The prices above are just MSRP. Both the vendors in this thread will beat those prices.

Also I'm still running the stock drive shafts on my JK. That said I'm ready to replace them if/when they need to be replaced.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

first off the teraflex spacers wont be enough for a 2door with 4.5, they are not enough for a 3.5. The AEF ypipe is for 4doors not two. If you flex a 4"+ offroad in a two door, you might be walking home. I have one and have been testing it. it wont work. Just got back from moss wash 3-3.5 rated(kingman AZ), testing the new lift off road its the AEV 3,5 with toms rear drive shaft, synergy rear upper and lower adjustable arms.( I have put a limit strap on the front left or in flex it will bind the front shaft and hit the Y pipe even with teraspacers) THe strap is only holding 1 " from max flex but 1" more that drive line will bind/bend as well the stock ones are very fragil.

The OP needs to watch the info here as 4 doors guys are going to chime in about what works and dont, thinking that 2 door is the same as 4 doors.

The only thing that i wonder why go 4.5 in a 2 door, you going 37's?. the 2 door wont need that much to have alot of break over angle, the 4 door needs it or it will get hung up on big steps. You going to wheel this hard? say 3-4 rated trails? 3.5 lift will do just fine. You must get a trans/motor shield if so as well, specialy with the auto. you tear that cooler line off and you are walking/towing it out.

The bigger you go the more to do, if you are going to wheel it, its a Jeep thing.

Our touble withe the 2door 012 is that y pipe. Im going to have one made that is flatened at the drive i think is the best way with over sized pipe at the crossover then reduced. seems our only choice right now for a 3.5
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

or he could lower it 2 inches and put some chrome 26's on.
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
The OP needs to watch the info here as 4 doors guys are going to chime in about what works and dont, thinking that 2 door is the same as 4 doors.
Guilty, sort of I didn't see that it was a 2 door.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #15
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Good rock Rails, and Skid Plates etc are a lot more useful on the trail than the menacing looking 35" MT's and a 3" lift. Plenty of Jeeps have run 28"-31" tires for Decades and literally gone almost everywhere on earth. Not saying lift & tires can't be a great asset, but they can be a liability if done wrong = Mall Crawler / Fail Rated.

Tags
advice , lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.