Did I get a bad price? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Did I get a bad price?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-10-2006, 01:29 AM   #1
crankitdb711

Did I get a bad price?

Hey all, I've been lurking here a little but ordered a new Rubicon Monday and am looking to be welcomed to this community. I was looking at the Jeep site today and freaked out feeling that I overpaid for it. When I built it on the website it said:
Base MSRP: $29,505
-Total Discount+: $2,575 (when I drag over this price it says $2,575 Preferred Discount)
---------------------------------
Net Price: $26,930

Who can get that Total/Preferred Discount thing? Anyone?

I ordered it for $27,602 plus tax, etc. Should I have gotten the Total Discount thing?

Thanks a lot, sorry if this thread is annoying but I appreciate your feedback...

crankitdb711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 03:13 AM   #2
billycj7

what options did you order? It sounds like an ok deal if it has the dual tops, 6disc and tow pkg. Auto or manual?
billycj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
Mr. Tarmac

No offense, but it always blows me away that someone will agree to a price on a car and have no idea if they got a good deal or not. You should never set foot on a dealers lot until you have researched invoice prices.

Go to www.edmunds.com and look up the invoice price on what you bought. That should give you an idea if you got a good deal or not.
Mr. Tarmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
crankitdb711

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycj7
what options did you order? It sounds like an ok deal if it has the dual tops, 6disc and tow pkg. Auto or manual?
Thanks for the response, I do appreciate it.
It was auto, dual tops, tint, and little small things... but I guess my real concern is that I did not take advantage of "Total Discount +" on the website which was like $2500, and this is a discount that seems to be for all models and is prorated on how big the MSRP is obviously... I guess I'm just curious what that "Total Discount +" thing is and who should get it. Thanks!
Unread 11-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
Mr. Tarmac

What web site, and where are you seeing the "total discount"?
Unread 11-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
Mr. Tarmac

After looking at Edmunds, it looks like that preferred price of $26930 is invoice. You paid about $700 over invoice. Not the greatest deal ever.
Unread 11-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #7
crankitdb711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tarmac
What web site, and where are you seeing the "total discount"?
It won't show up for you since it wasn't built with your specs... but try to equip and price a wrangler (or any model) on jeep.com and you'll see that subtraction under the MSRP. You don't have to add any accessories to see what I'm talking about, it starts that discount even without any of that and on any model...
http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/dispatch.do
Unread 11-10-2006, 07:58 AM   #8
crankitdb711

Quote:
No offense, but it always blows me away that someone will agree to a price on a car and have no idea if they got a good deal or not. You should never set foot on a dealers lot until you have researched invoice prices.

Go to www.edmunds.com and look up the invoice price on what you bought. That should give you an idea if you got a good deal or not.
Thanks, no offense taken. I negotiated with 5 dealers on my last car for the best deal but went to the dealer to take advantage of a friends and family thing... since I'm quitting that job soon, I can't do it that way... so when the dealer offered me $500 above friends and family, I jumped on it to get it ordered. I still know this wasn't smart, noticing this discount now...
Quote:
After looking at Edmunds, it looks like that preferred price of $26930 is invoice. You paid about $700 over invoice. Not the greatest deal ever.
...and thanks for looking it up... I just did too. Where in relation to invoice is a good price?
Unread 11-10-2006, 08:00 AM   #9
basso4735
1997 XJ Cherokee 

id say lower than invoice lol.

Red 97 XJ Sport 5 Speed - Lifted 3" - Sound system - C4X4 Tow Hooks - Hella 500s
Black 96 XJ Classic - Stocker on 31s - SOLD
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #10
crankitdb711

Quote:
Originally Posted by basso4735
id say lower than invoice lol.
ha, is that possible? Isn't that the lowest they sell it for?
Unread 11-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #11
basso4735
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i dont know really. so either at invoice price or below haha.

Red 97 XJ Sport 5 Speed - Lifted 3" - Sound system - C4X4 Tow Hooks - Hella 500s
Black 96 XJ Classic - Stocker on 31s - SOLD
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #12
crankitdb711

Quote:
Originally Posted by basso4735
i dont know really. so either at invoice price or below haha.

either way, isn't this unheard of for a new model, especially Rubicon?
Unread 11-10-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
Mr. Tarmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankitdb711
It won't show up for you since it wasn't built with your specs... but try to equip and price a wrangler (or any model) on jeep.com and you'll see that subtraction under the MSRP. You don't have to add any accessories to see what I'm talking about, it starts that discount even without any of that and on any model...
http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/dispatch.do

I still don't see where the web site automatically gives any "preferred" discount to invoice pricing. Everything on jeep.com is msrp. Where exactly do you see the discount?

Also, if you did see a price of $26930 on the web site (which is basically invoice), why did you agree to $700 more at the dealer? Why not print that off, and make the dealer give you the price on jeep's web site?
Unread 11-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #14
crankitdb711

Quote:
I still don't see where the web site automatically gives any "preferred" discount to invoice pricing. Everything on jeep.com is msrp. Where exactly do you see the discount?

Also, if you did see a price of $26930 on the web site (which is basically invoice), why did you agree to $700 more at the dealer? Why not print that off, and make the dealer give you the price on jeep's web site?
Please see the attached link, it's a picture screenshot of my screen... it is not bad, please trust me. See under the MSRP there and before Net Price?

I didn't see that until last night and I ordered the car Monday... I feel like they just did that or something. And that's not a bad idea, maybe I'll bring my laptop to the dealer today...
Unread 11-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #15
Mr. Tarmac

That discount doesnt' show up for me. I even used your zip. ????????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.