Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 06-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #106
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I just ordered a full set of the Poly Performance ball joints and a new bilstien steering stabilizer shock to replace my current one. I will use the checklist and go step by step.

Unread 06-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #107
Avernar
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm getting my ball joints replaced right now. Plus a bent steering stabilizer. Hopefully that cures my DW.
Avernar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #108
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

Good luck. I hope it works out for you!
Unread 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #109
Avernar
2010 JK Wrangler 

In two weeks the AEV 4.5" lift kit is going in so a whack of other components are going to be replaced too. Between that and today's fixes I hope it cures my DW.
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #110
Avernar
2010 JK Wrangler 

Woohoo! No more DW!
Unread 06-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #111
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

GREAT NEWS!!! I just received my new Poly Performance Ball Joints today. Along with my second Bilstien Steering Stabilizer (just in case the one I put on 5 months ago is worn down). I sure hope the ball joints make a difference on my end. AWESOME to hear your DW is fixed!
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #112
wagz82
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You can find my thread on this issue here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f.../#post11754033

I posted it in this thread because planman's thread seems to be the #1 Thread for DW solutions and thought that most people would see it here.

Okay ladies and gentlemen,

Been doing more research as usual and figured that since we all hate the "Death Wobble" I've been trying to find some places to file complaints against the vehicle issues on this whole front suspension deal. Click on these links to file a complaint! Tell everyone and anyone you know that is a jeep owner that has had the 'DW' problem. Report it to jeep clubs, forums, and etc. I haven't seen anyone put together anything to file complaints against this and figured it was about dang time. I've had to deal with repeat DW issues since '05. Almost to the extent of replacing the whole front end! I originally found these links from http://www.jeepproblems.com/problems/death-wobble.shtml

The first one you can fill out is at:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm

This is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) also from safercar.gov
Click on the box that says, "Online Form" and go from there.

The second place to file another complaint is at The Center for Auto Safety
http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint

It will only take a second of your time and we really need to get this done people! Aren't you tired of dealing with DW at the *stealership?

*borrowed from someone in an earlier post - thought it was amusing.
wagz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #113
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Like I explain in the first 2 posts of this thread, DW is fairly easy to diagnose and fix through a simple but complete inspection done in one sitting.

You should not drive your jeep until you fix it in order to avoid damaging other components.

Chrysler simply needs to train their techs how to diagnose and fix it; and retorquing the trackbar and control arms before vehicle delivery, at every oil change interval, and after every major wheeling trip needs to be part of the recommended maintainance schedule.

All lift manufacturers need to include loosening the trackbar and control arm bolts in their instructions. They need to explain the importance of waiting to retorque the bolts until the vehicle is back on the ground at the new ride height to ensure the bushings and bolt sleeves are pinched between the suspension brackets in a neutral position instead of being bound/twisted/pre-loaded at the wrong ride height.

The solutions are simple.
planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #114
wagz82
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
Chrysler simply needs to train their techs how to diagnose and fix it; and retorquing the trackbar and control arms before vehicle delivery, at every oil change interval, and after every major wheeling trip needs to be part of the recommended maintainance schedule.
I completely agree with the above quote but without them knowing each time I took it in and when this thread didn't even exist until '10 it was a big hassle for me.
Unread 06-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #115
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz82 View Post
Okay ladies and gentlemen,

Been doing more research as usual and figured that since we all hate the "Death Wobble" I've been trying to find some places to file complaints against the vehicle issues on this whole front suspension deal. Click on these links to file a complaint! Tell everyone and anyone you know that is a jeep owner that has had the 'DW' problem. Report it to jeep clubs, forums, and etc. I haven't seen anyone put together anything to file complaints against this and figured it was about dang time. I've had to deal with repeat DW issues since '05. Almost to the extent of replacing the whole front end! I originally found these links from http://<font color="red">http://www....e.shtm</font>l

The first one you can fill out is at:

http://<font color="Red">https://www...v/ivoq/</font>

This is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) also from safercar.gov
Click on the box that says, "Online Form" and go from there.

The second place to file another complaint is at The Center for Auto Safety
http://<font color="red">http://www....mplaint</font>

It will only take a second of your time and we really need to get this done people! Aren't you tired of dealing with DW at the stealership?
I agree 100%. Complaints filed. I have replaced every single thing in my front end, torqued everything to spec multiple times, road force balanced tires over and over, had over three alignments, welded washers to every bracket and used 9/16 bolts, replaced my steering gear and steering shaft several times and still I am plauged by wobbles.

It doesn't matter how good a Jeep is offroad, if it can not be driven safely and reliably on road then its worthless. Maybe you guys are rich, but I can't afford a $30,000 play toy that I can't drive everyday without fearing for my life.

Add to that all the money I spent fixing and replacing parts and I probably have a worthless $40,000 Jeep.

Its unacceptable and Jeep needs to fix their huge sloppy engineering mistakes.
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #116
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Also, Wagz your links don't work. Here are the correct ones..

http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #117
wagz82
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Hellbound! I edited the links. Guess it didn't like the color change!
Unread 08-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #118
spotlogger
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've been experiencing slight death wobble symptoms and then the other day I had a really bad episode that almost sent me off the road. I checked things out as soon as possible. Track bar seems to be tight, no play anywhere. There is a little play in the ball joints on the drag link and the tie rod if I grip them and twist forward and backward, is this normal? Also the bracket that attaches the steering stabilizer to the axle seems to be slightly bent, about 5 degrees, could this be the cause of my problems?
spotlogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #119
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlogger
I've been experiencing slight death wobble symptoms and then the other day I had a really bad episode that almost sent me off the road. I checked things out as soon as possible. Track bar seems to be tight, no play anywhere. There is a little play in the ball joints on the drag link and the tie rod if I grip them and twist forward and backward, is this normal? Also the bracket that attaches the steering stabilizer to the axle seems to be slightly bent, about 5 degrees, could this be the cause of my problems?
Have you read the first posts in this thread and performed the inspection checklist?
planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #120
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just wanted to pass on an update. If you have been following this thread you see I have tried so many different options to fix the DW on my jeep. We followed the entire checklist for the third time. The only difference this time was the replacement of the ball joints. It has been over a month now and no DW. This is the first time in over a year I can say I am comfortable driving my jeep again. Yes I still tighten up a bit when I hit a hard bump but the jeep is performing well. Thank you all for the input..........

Tags
death wobble , JK Wrangler , shake , shaking , steering shimmy , wheel shimmy , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.