Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #91
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Poor kitty

Welcome to the Club raz631
I hope you find the solution to your D/W woes!
You came to the right place

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #92
raz631

Thanks for the reply!

I see what your saying but that's just it!

I have replaced just about everything and there are no parts the move at all!

No oval holes, no play in anything, no warn bushes.... nothing! and even the parts that were replaced have been re checked as per your list and they are still as new!

And sorry about the kittens.... woops... ha ha ha..
raz631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #93
raz631

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Poor kitty

Welcome to the Club raz631
I hope you find the solution to your D/W woes!
You came to the right place

Thanks mate! Yeah me to...

I hope to get my Truck/Rig back to the way she was when i first got it!

Hang on... can I call it a she? I wont kill a fairy or something?

ha ha ha
raz631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #94
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz631 View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I see what your saying but that's just it!

I have replaced just about everything and there are no parts the move at all!

No oval holes, no play in anything, no warn bushes.... nothing! and even the parts that were replaced have been re checked as per your list and they are still as new!

And sorry about the kittens.... woops... ha ha ha..
There should be no clunk in your steering. You need to find the source of it.

DW does happen without something being loose, damaged, broken, cracked, etc. Too much toe-in and too much caster can also cause problems. You might back off your caster to 4.5 degrees.

Do your tire tread surfaces have feathered or cupped wear patterns?

Have you driven without your front driveshaft yet?
planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #95
goozaman

wow, overwhelming but dam good info here thru-out this thread/post!! i am trying to break into the jeep world, been lookin all over originally for the 05 or 06 TJ unlimited(LJ), now lookin at the JK unlimited's. test drove a real nice 2010 Rubicon unlimited with 6in Rough Country lift runnin 37's, and I noticed it felt a little sloppy to me.. looked at what i found out to be the trackbar after reading thru here, and noticed the bushing peeling away where it mounts. hhhmmm really concerned with it now after reading this.. the rig was just driven back from cali with 18000 miles total, and the lift was installed by a the owner, who im pretty sure is inexperieced at lift kits! not a fan of the rough country lift for starters after reading about them either and kinda prefer a long arm lift. thats a whole other question i am searching for on here, long arm vs short arm lifts!! what to do what to do!
goozaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #96
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the checklist. I have really been struggeling with this issue for a very long time. It is not easy to figure out. I have tried so many things. Still no resolution. I am really frustrated and will use your checklist for another full inspection. I was told a JK with 53,000 miles should have had ball joints replace a while ago. Is that true?
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #97
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBob View Post
Thanks for the checklist. I have really been struggeling with this issue for a very long time. It is not easy to figure out. I have tried so many things. Still no resolution. I am really frustrated and will use your checklist for another full inspection. I was told a JK with 53,000 miles should have had ball joints replace a while ago. Is that true?
only if youve had bad DW for a while,im about to do my my 3rd set at 250k on my zj and yours should be stronger
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #98
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have and the Teraflex Tech highly suggested it. At this point I really need this corrected. I can't keep driving like this. Not much fun and too dangerous!
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #99
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBob
The stock ball joints are not very high quality. Some people get 60,000 miles out of them other people get much less.

If you have had multiple bouts of death wobble it is quite likely that your lower ball joints are damaged.
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #100
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have and the Teraflex Tech highly suggested it. At this point I really need this corrected. I can't keep driving like this. Not much fun and too dangerous!
While you are diagnosing it, you should also report this dangerous problem here..

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #101
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hello Planman. I have had multiple bouts with the DW. I was about to order a whole new set of all ball joints, but I really want to be sure I get what I need this time. I lowered air pressure in my tires yesterday to 30 psi (Nitto Tires recommend 65 and I have been running 45psi) as suggested by Teraflex Rep. I tried the AEV High Steer Kit. Still no luck fixing the problem. I used your original checklist and unfortunately I thought the high steer kit was the solution. I will be using the new checklist to go over everything once again. My mechanic swears the ball joints are in good shape however, it is one of the only things that have not been replaced. We did rebalance the tires two weeks ago hoping it would help. Still have the problem.
Unread 06-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #102
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...My mechanic swears the ball joints are in good shape however, it is one of the only things that have not been replaced....
Man thatís gota suck. I sure hope you get it fixed soon. As far as your mechanic saying that the ball joints are still good and they might be, I would still go to another shop and get a second opinion. History here is that they are crap from the dealer and just donít last.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #103
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

Any recommendations for type of ball joints? The price seems to be all over the board.
Unread 06-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #104
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Havenít checked prices but it seems that Poly Performance and Dynatrac (expensive) are the best.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #105
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Hello Planman. I have had multiple bouts with the DW. I was about to order a whole new set of all ball joints, but I really want to be sure I get what I need this time. I lowered air pressure in my tires yesterday to 30 psi (Nitto Tires recommend 65 and I have been running 45psi) as suggested by Teraflex Rep. I tried the AEV High Steer Kit. Still no luck fixing the problem. I used your original checklist and unfortunately I thought the high steer kit was the solution. I will be using the new checklist to go over everything once again. My mechanic swears the ball joints are in good shape however, it is one of the only things that have not been replaced. We did rebalance the tires two weeks ago hoping it would help. Still have the problem.
The lower ball joints are usually the ones to go first. They are very easy to check.

Put your front axle on jack stands with the tires elevated a couple inches.

Have a helper use a long pry bar or lever underneath the tire to lift up the tire/wheel while you inspect the lower ball joints for up and down movement. The play should be very, very minimal.

If you have had a recent alignment done and your caster is off, it is often because the lower ball joints are bad.

I installed Dynatrac ball joints on my 2 door because I run 40s during the summer. I bought a pair of Poly Performance ball joints to install on my wife's 4 dr on 37s when hers get too bad.

The thing with DW is that you need to go through the entire checklist in one setting. If you don't, you end up chasing your tail. Maybe you replace your too small stock trackbar bolts with 9/16" bolts and weld washers on the front and back of both the frame and axle side brackets, but you don't address everthing else. Maybe your ball joints are bad, and by the time you check them, the wobble has damaged your drag link ends. Maybe by the time you get to the drag link ends you have damaged your trackbar bushings.

So, inspect it all at one sitting.

Tags
death wobble , JK Wrangler , shake , shaking , steering shimmy , wheel shimmy , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.