Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #46
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Text added to first post:

I'll start out by explaining that Chrysler desided to use a 14 mm trackbar bolt, with a trackbar bushing sleeve designed for a 9/16" bolt, and the trackbar bracket bolt holes are somewhere around 15-16 mm large. This is a sure recipe for DW if the trackbar bolts are not properly torqued and periodically re-torqued to 125 ft. lbs.

planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #47
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You are correct - mine is a 14mm....sry. I will delete orig post.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #48
swtmdmboo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hey planman -

I'm back (again) and have been without the jeep for 3 weeks. Last week, we went upon the suggestion of the mechanic and had a bracket made for the track bar so that it would level it out. Mechanic said he thought it was "bump steer" and the bracket would help. They said the jeep would be ready last Saturday. We drove the 2+ hours to pick it up and discovered that it had another issue. Upon accelleration, the jeep would pull right, then after shifting (manual tranny) it would go back left. Took the poor jeep back to the shop and were told that whomever test drove it didn't notice the pull (???!!!).

What I need to ask is would doing half of a high steer kit (the track bar bracket) cause the pull upon accelleration?

Also - if that is the case, would changing the angle of the pitman arm solve the problem?

thanks again -
swt

'08 Sahara JK -
3" lift and stock wheels/tires

Replaced so far: lower control arms, track bar (front - adjustable forged Terraflex with a bracket/rear adjustable), tie rod long and short, shocks (all), pitman arm, ball joints (upper and lower - OEM), sway bar links, and the long steering tie rod end that connects to the pitman arm, center link for tie rod, quick disconnect links.
swtmdmboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #49
Coleoneps
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Im having this issue. As soon as I hit 50Mph on the nose it wobbles. I brought it to my dealership last Friday and they replaced the steering dampener. Later on that night I noticed it was back , right at 50mph. It wasnt quite as extreme. The first time it happened I thought it was a 9 on the richter scale or something. Its down to a 4 or 5 now id say. Im bringing it back to the dealership tomorrow morning and I am going to have the mechanic take a ride with me to help diagnose the issue. Hopefully they can solve the problem so I dont further damage my 08 Jk.
Coleoneps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:49 PM   #50
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleoneps View Post
Im having this issue. As soon as I hit 50Mph on the nose it wobbles. I brought it to my dealership last Friday and they replaced the steering dampener. Later on that night I noticed it was back , right at 50mph. It wasnt quite as extreme. The first time it happened I thought it was a 9 on the richter scale or something. Its down to a 4 or 5 now id say. Im bringing it back to the dealership tomorrow morning and I am going to have the mechanic take a ride with me to help diagnose the issue. Hopefully they can solve the problem so I dont further damage my 08 Jk.
Read the first post. There's no reason to bring it back to the dealer since they know far less than you will after reading and comprehending the first post. Do the work and cure your wobbles. A speed-sensitive wobble is almost always a tire balance issue. Rotate the tires and try again. You'll probably notice a difference, positive or negative. If the problem persists, get the tires road force balanced by a good tire shop. If you have steel wheels, don't expect to ever get rid of slight wobbles.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #51
bkobus
2011 JK Wrangler 

How common is this?

I just bought my first new jeep the other day..
bkobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #52
swtmdmboo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkobus View Post
How common is this?

Not sure - this is my first jeep and the issue started about 23,000 miles into it after hitting an extremely rough pothole. My parents own an older Wrangler Sport and have had no issues.
Unread 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #53
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkobus View Post
How common is this?

A very small percentage of jeep owners ever experience DW.

However there are so many jeep owners, that DW does come up.

The design of the JK front trackbar bracket bolt holes, bushing bolt sleeve, and bolt size requires periodic maintenance. The bolts should be torqued to spec (125 ft lbs) at every oil change interval and after every major wheeling trip.

If you ever experience DW, immediately diagnose and fix the source of the problem. Don't make the mistake of allowing multiple DW occurances.
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #54
swtmdmboo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Planman still need your expertise

There was a post 5 posts up asking about doing a partial high steer thing, we only added a bracket to raise the height of the track bar, and after doing that, it steered really weird pulled right when accelerating, and then would go back left as soon as you let off the gas, the question is in doing only a partial high steer kit, would that cause that symptom, and we are having a dropped pitman arm added tommorrow we are hoping that there after the whole problem will be fixed. long posts lots of parts replaced. Thanks for your time, we are trying to make sure the mechanic is not just taking our money. any help would be greatly apprecated. maybe one day we will be as comfortable with this as the rest of Jeep owners are.
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #55
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtmdmboo View Post
There was a post 5 posts up asking about doing a partial high steer thing, we only added a bracket to raise the height of the track bar, and after doing that, it steered really weird pulled right when accelerating, and then would go back left as soon as you let off the gas, the question is in doing only a partial high steer kit, would that cause that symptom, and we are having a dropped pitman arm added tommorrow we are hoping that there after the whole problem will be fixed. long posts lots of parts replaced. Thanks for your time, we are trying to make sure the mechanic is not just taking our money. any help would be greatly apprecated. maybe one day we will be as comfortable with this as the rest of Jeep owners are.
Yes. If you modify the trackbar angle, you have to correspondingly modify the angle of the drag link or you will get bumpsteer.

The best way is with a drag link flip kit instead of with a drop pitman arm.

However, a drop pitman arm is much less expensive.
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #56
swtmdmboo
2008 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=planman;10899018]Yes. If you modify the trackbar angle, you have to correspondingly modify the angle of the drag link or you will get bumpsteer.....QUOTE]

Thanks for replying. Wish us luck.
Unread 02-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #57
wmartinhickman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Death Wobble

This morning on my way to work I apparently hit a hole or small ledge on the entrance to a bridge going 50-60mph. It was all I could do to hold the steering wheel and I guess by instinct I hit the clutch and rolled to a stop on the interstate; luckily it wasn't crowded. I have about a 4" lift and 33x12.5 Mickey Thompson's. I also have a SkyJack stabilizer. I assumed that it was due to my tires being almost bald and warn out, but I think this thread has given me the answer. Thinking back I remember noticing my jeep seeming to shake for a good distance after going over a really rough part of road at low speeds. I assume those lower speeds didn't allow it to amount to the violence that I felt today. After the first incident this morning it would restart after a bump or with a lot of speed and I would have to come back to a stop. I am just now getting into working on my jeep and since it never breaks I haven't had much opportunity, but I'm going to give the list in post #2 a shot and see what happens. I really appreciate everyone who post on this forum! You guys who know a lot and those who know a little, yet have experiences to share, really help people. I can't imagine how much money and time this thread has saved me!

Thanks to all of you!
Martin
wmartinhickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #58
wmartinhickman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Death Wobble

This morning on my way to work I apparently hit a hole or small ledge on the entrance to a bridge going 50-60mph. It was all I could do to hold the steering wheel and I guess by instinct I hit the clutch and rolled to a stop on the interstate; luckily it wasn't crowded. I have about a 4" lift and 33x12.5 Mickey Thompson's. I also have a SkyJack stabilizer. I assumed that it was due to my tires being almost bald and warn out, but I think this thread has given me the answer. Thinking back I remember noticing my jeep seeming to shake for a good distance after going over a really rough part of road at low speeds. I assume those lower speeds didn't allow it to amount to the violence that I felt today. After the first incident this morning it would restart after a bump or with a lot of speed and I would have to come back to a stop. I am just now getting into working on my jeep and since it never breaks I haven't had much opportunity, but I'm going to give the list in post #2 a shot and see what happens. I really appreciate everyone who post on this forum! You guys who know a lot and those who know a little, yet have experiences to share, really help people. I can't imagine how much money and time this thread has saved me!

Thanks to all of you!
Martin
Unread 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #59
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

My DW was caused by 2 things. A very worn drag link end, and 2 ball joints shot. Put 4 brand new ball joints in brand new drag link, alignment and new rims and tires and no issues period now. Even got a little better gas mileage, hell 3mpg more then I was before!
07BlackOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #60
wmartinhickman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I checked mine out last night and more indepthly today and found an obviously busted bushing at the drag link head and the right and left knuckles. There is lots of vertical movement at the head of the drag link. The driver's side sway bar also moves up and down about a 1/2inch when the steering is jerked back and forth quickly and it seems to not be perpendicular to its mount. The bolt of the driver's side sway bar spines easily, but I can't get the nut to budge tighter or looser! Also, the pitman arm and drag link head don't seem to be lined up right. The bushing at the on the frame mount of the track bar is very pinched on the backside. I'm planning on fixing this myself; however, this will be my first attempt doing anything like this. I'm confident I'll figure it out and all will be well, but does anyone have suggestions on where to buy parts and tools??? Here are some pics of what I'm talking about. I think I have some good examples of pinched and busted bushings and other bad parts.
img_9632.jpg   img_9633.jpg   img_9634.jpg   img_9635.jpg   img_9637.jpg  

Last edited by wmartinhickman; 02-22-2011 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: new info

Tags
death wobble , JK Wrangler , shake , shaking , steering shimmy , wheel shimmy , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.