Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #211
Johnnydenim
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am going to be doing the 9/16 grade 8 bolt switch for the TB and LCA. However, I run the BDS Cam Bolt kit instead of adjustable LCA. Should I even bother switching only one of the Front LCA bolts since the other one is using the BDS Cam Bolt kit bolt?

Johnnydenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #212
asajay
1982 FSJ Wagoneer 

Wow! Wish I had found this a year ago. At the time, I hadn't thought of calling it a Death Wobble, but I can attest to that being a very apt description.

For us, it was a repeatable thing. I knew the exact place on the road outside our house to make it replicate. It was a harmonic kind of thing, if you got the bounce just right, at the right speed (about 45 for us), then the front end felt like it wanted to take off into the weeds but couldn't figure out which side of the Jeep to leave from.

The Steering wheel was a handful. If it hadn't been for two hands on the wheel the first time we felt it... I don't know we'd have recovered. So here's where it gets weird.

We take it to a trusted local shop. They tell us to replace the tires, because they are badly worn on the outside edge. Their inspection of everything else doesn't find anything.

So I'm thinking to myself... tires don't wear "funny" just on their own; something causes it.

We order new tires and have to wait for them to come in. During the few days we wait, I take an ingenious keyfob video camera and tape it to the bottom of the axle and get some great video of the problem.

Yes, the track-bar was loose, but in addition, the passenger side lower control arm was found with really bad bushings. The video showed the passenger side was absolutely violent when compared to the driver's side.

The problem now... we replaced the tires and I replaced the bad bushings in the control arm. The DW is now gone, but we can still pick up some shakes in about the same part of the road. This tells me I don't have it completely solved, in that the original DW has probably caused a lot more parts to get out of whack.

And the tires are already starting to wear funny, which is my second indicator that something still isn't right. Having read the first few posts in this thread, I'm now sure of what I need to go back and inspect, and I feel a lot more confident it's something we can fix.

I'll probably also print out the first few posts and take it to my trusted shop. They are good old boys, but that may be part of the problem too... good and old... and technology challenged. Probably haven't seen it quite this way before.

Asa Jay

PS. This same thing happened to my Dad's 1993 Dodge pickup truck, with me driving. The Dodge dealership he takes it to found the problem right away and fixed it. No problem since.
Unread 10-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #213
DeathWobbler
2011 JK Wrangler 

So glad I found this thread. I have a 2011 stock Wrangler and went around the corner on PCH the other day and all of sudden the Death Wobble. I didn't know what was happening.

I have a full 100k warranty bumper to bumper. How should I proceed?
DeathWobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #214
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWobbler View Post
So glad I found this thread. I have a 2011 stock Wrangler and went around the corner on PCH the other day and all of sudden the Death Wobble. I didn't know what was happening.

I have a full 100k warranty bumper to bumper. How should I proceed?
Read posts 1 and 2 of this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...bbles-1052221/

Then, watch my 2 YouTube videos that I posted in the following thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...ideos-1376201/

You will know and understand more about DW and your front end than your dealer techs.

It is rare that a dealer tech will know what to do. So, your warranty doesn't hold much value to fix the problem(s). You can try, but don't get your hopes up.
planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #215
mms1946
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
Also, I recommend you switch out your stock 14 mm trackbar bolts for 9/16" grade 8 bolts.
Last night as I was driving home, my jeep had an episode of death wobble. I can't recall if I hit a bump or it just went nuts on its own. I had to pull over to the side and completely stop the jeep to end the dw. This is the first time it's happened to me in my jk. Have had dw in my yj and tj.

I want to replace the bolts that planman mentioned. Where can I get them? Home Depot / lowes or do I need to order them from somewhere?

Also, what is the length of the bolt that is needed for the replacement?
mms1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #216
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1946 View Post
Last night as I was driving home, my jeep had an episode of death wobble. I can't recall if I hit a bump or it just went nuts on its own. I had to pull over to the side and completely stop the jeep to end the dw. This is the first time it's happened to me in my jk. Have had dw in my yj and tj.

I want to replace the bolts that planman mentioned. Where can I get them? Home Depot / lowes or do I need to order them from somewhere?

Also, what is the length of the bolt that is needed for the replacement?
This set replaces all 4 lower control arms and the front and rear trackbar bolts. If you make it part of a $100 order, shipping is free:

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/nr...k-hardware-kit

Also, watch these videos:

Unread 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #217
mms1946
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thank you, sir! Appreciate the information!
mms1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #218
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

I went ahead and added the 2 diagnosis videos to the first post in this thread.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #219
asajay
1982 FSJ Wagoneer 

The second video is effective at illustrating various problems. Good job.

Asa
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #220
clintlight27
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How much rotational play should be in the drag link. Mine rotates about 45 degrees about its axis. Is this normal or are the ends shot?
clintlight27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #221
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintlight27 View Post
How much rotational play should be in the drag link. Mine rotates about 45 degrees about its axis. Is this normal or are the ends shot?
Rotational is required for the suspension to be able to cycle.

There should be virtually no up-and-down or side-to-side play/clunk.

Have you watched the 1st of the 2 Diagnosis Videos?
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #222
mcduff
2009 JK Wrangler 

planman

I have an 2009, 19,000 miles, that is going to my mechanic next week for the DW fix. I told him to follow your complete list, word for word. I ordered the bolts as you suggested, and would like to get a heavy duty steering stablizer. Can you recommend a source and description for this item? Also, are there any other parts I should order before the inspection/fix?

Your instructions for the DW fix are most appreciated!!!!!!! I experienced the DW about a week ago and was ready to sell my Jeep until I found this forum. Thanks again.
mcduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #223
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduff
I have an 2009, 19,000 miles, that is going to my mechanic next week for the DW fix. I told him to follow your complete list, word for word. I ordered the bolts as you suggested, and would like to get a heavy duty steering stablizer. Can you recommend a source and description for this item? Also, are there any other parts I should order before the inspection/fix?

Your instructions for the DW fix are most appreciated!!!!!!! I experienced the DW about a week ago and was ready to sell my Jeep until I found this forum. Thanks again.
Make sure it's fixed before you put a new stabilizer on, otherwise it is going to mask the real issue.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #224
mcduff
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yes, it will have gone ALL the way through the check list before anything is replaced. Thanks for the comment.
mcduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #225
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduff View Post

I don't really have a specific recommendation on a replacement steering stabilizer.

The only exception would be that if you run Toyo Open Country MT tires that result in a hard drift to the right even with an alignment, you can offset this by running a gas charged steering stabilizer that pushes towards the driver side.

Otherwise, you could do a combination relocation bracket and new steering stabilizer from any number of manufacturers.

Tags
death wobble , JK Wrangler , shake , shaking , steering shimmy , wheel shimmy , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.