Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #181
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydenim View Post
TIRES!!!! The issue all along were the tires. I replaced them with new BFG All Terrain T/A and it rides good as new! Now I am mad at the "Off Road Shop" that replaced my tie rod ends, drag link ends, track bar and stabilizer and wanted me to replaced ball joints, u joints and unit bearings. If I had done all of that, the problem would have still existed because the tires were the issue.
Not to side with the shop; but I wouldn't have known which part to fix first either. But, I really glad for you that the wobble is gone.

Unread 03-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #182
WinTech
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
It will.
Thanks! I am doing this tomorrow.
WinTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #183
BlakCherokee

I thought my death wobble would cost an arm and a leg, but sometimes it's the simple things that cause the most chaos. My front tires were simply out of balance. It seemed like it was riding fairly smoothly even at 80MPH, but certain expansion joints on overpasses would send it into a violent death wobble. Now that it's balanced, it's never ridden so smoothly.
thanks for your posts!!!
BlakCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #184
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Uh, you better get underneath and check your suspension. Out of balance tires can sure cause a lot of wobble, but not death wobble, and not wobble that comes and goes with bumps in the road.

It's going to come back unless you find the loose component (most likely the trackbar).
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #185
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Exactly.

Tires can be a trigger for DW, but they aren't the source of DW.

If you have bad ball joints, a loose trackbar, bad tie-rod and drag link ends, etc., bad tires will cause vibrations that trigger these actual sources of DW.

If you simply fix the tire balance problem but still have the other parts worn or loose, the DW will come back once another trigger comes up--i.e. driving across railroad tracks, bridge seams, etc.
planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #186
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

And in my experience each time DW returns it gets worse.
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #187
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO
And in my experience each time DW returns it gets worse.
Then it was never fixed in the first place.
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #188
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Then it was never fixed in the first place.
Exactly right. So, everything on "the" list has to be tracked down at once; or, it will be like a dog chasing his tail.
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #189
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

i glanced thru the last 3 pages and didn't see anyone with a 2012 with this issue. Do 2012's have all these same issues, or has anything been improved since then?
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #190
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
i glanced thru the last 3 pages and didn't see anyone with a 2012 with this issue. Do 2012's have all these same issues, or has anything been improved since then?
Read the 1st two posts of the entire thread and watch the videos.

Death Wobble is caused by improper maintenance, improper lift installation, and/or worn or damaged components.

It is not specific to any particular year or model.

All solid front axle vehicles are susceptible to Death Wobble.

If you keep your vehicle properly maintained and re-torque your front trackbar bolts after you take it home from the dealer, and then again at every oil change interval, you chance of experiencing Death Wobble is extremely low.

If you upgrade your lower control arm and trackbar bolts to the proper size, shouldered bolts, it reduces the chance even further.
Unread 03-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #191
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Read the 1st two posts of the entire thread and watch the videos.

Death Wobble is caused by improper maintenance, improper lift installation, and/or worn or damaged components.

It is not specific to any particular year or model.

All solid front axle vehicles are susceptible to Death Wobble.

If you keep your vehicle properly maintained and re-torque your front trackbar bolts after you take it home from the dealer, and then again at every oil change interval, you chance of experiencing Death Wobble is extremely low.

If you upgrade your lower control arm and trackbar bolts to the proper size, shouldered bolts, it reduces the chance even further.
thanks!
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #192
BlakCherokee

Quote:
Exactly.

Tires can be a trigger for DW, but they aren't the source of DW.

If you have bad ball joints, a loose trackbar, bad tie-rod and drag link ends, etc., bad tires will cause vibrations that trigger these actual sources of DW.

If you simply fix the tire balance problem but still have the other parts worn or loose, the DW will come back once another trigger comes up--i.e. driving across railroad tracks, bridge seams, etc.
Thanks, I'll look further. My tire man said they were EXTREMELY off balance, and the wobble is gone, so I assumed that was it. I had the trackbar replaced shortly before the tires were balanced, so I'll go down the list.
BlakCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #193
Johnnydenim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Alright...

New:
Synergy ball joints
Drag link (knuckle to pitman)
Track bar (verified 125 ft lb of torque)
Tie rod
BDS stabilizer
BDS cam bolts
Tires 285/70/17
New Rubi shocks and coils
Alignment

The major wobble is gone. Tires took care of the majority of that. However, I still have a steering wheel shimmy at approx 55-65 mph. Had the tires rebalanced and still had the shimmy.

Any suggestions???

Is there anything with my alignment specs that might cause this??? See pic below
image-90576796.jpg  
Johnnydenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #194
Johnnydenim
2008 JK Wrangler 

I also have the steering "clunk" issue going on. After doing the new TR end at pitman arm, the knock became worse. Gonna replace the steering box. Would the play in the steering box be causing the shimmy? Remember though...speed dependent shimmy, 55-65 mph.

Thanks
Johnnydenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #195
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydenim View Post
speed dependent shimmy, 55-65 mph.

Thanks
Speed dependent, easily repeatable wobbles or shimmies are tire/wheel related.

If your tires are feathered or cupped from running them with bad ball joints or other issues, this would cause a speed dependent shimmy/wobble.

Borrow a set of wheels/tires from a friend to see if it goes away. Then, you will have your answer.

Other issues in the checklist might be looked at--maybe the front upper control arm axle side bushings.

Tags
death wobble , JK Wrangler , shake , shaking , steering shimmy , wheel shimmy , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.