Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #166
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinTech
Does anyone know if the JKS track bar will accept the 9/16" bolts at each end?
It will.

planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #167
amis8944
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman

A replicatable, speed dependent wobble is more likely wheels (bent or unbalanced), tires (unbalanced, feathered, or out of round), the lug retainer clips (must be removed to run non-stock wheels or wheel spacers), or it can be a bad alignment with too much or too little toe-in or too much caster (more than about 4.7 degrees).

None of this is DW. DW is random and not easily replicatable by simply driving at a given speed.

Post #1 explains much of this.
Thanks I have been trying to find out what is was for two month I not the best macanic
amis8944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #168
Johnnydenim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Alright...getting very frustrated. Please help.

I was getting pretty severe wobble between 45-55mph. Took it to a pretty reputable off road mechanic/dealer. He replaced the tie rod end, drag link end, track bar, stablilizer (BDS), and added adjustable bolts to the lower control arm (BDS). Went to pick it up and he said the wobble still exists but not as bad. Said that the ball joints need replaced and suggested doing the axle u joints and unit bearings while being in there. I couldn't leave it again for those remaining items at the time (last friday).

He was right the wobble wasn't as bad but definitely wasn't gone. I have been driving it very minimal until I get the ball joints done (hopefully in the next couple of days). The wobble has gotten worse again though.

So, here is my question...will the ball joints cause such a violent wobble? I don't think I am getting hosed by the mechanic but I just want some others opinions.

BTW, the wobble didn't occur until I replaced my stock wheels with aftermarket alloys. Tires have been confirmed to be balanced.

Thanks
Johnnydenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #169
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydenim
Alright...getting very frustrated. Please help.

I was getting pretty severe wobble between 45-55mph. Took it to a pretty reputable off road mechanic/dealer. He replaced the tie rod end, drag link end, track bar, stablilizer (BDS), and added adjustable bolts to the lower control arm (BDS). Went to pick it up and he said the wobble still exists but not as bad. Said that the ball joints need replaced and suggested doing the axle u joints and unit bearings while being in there. I couldn't leave it again for those remaining items at the time (last friday).

He was right the wobble wasn't as bad but definitely wasn't gone. I have been driving it very minimal until I get the ball joints done (hopefully in the next couple of days). The wobble has gotten worse again though.

So, here is my question...will the ball joints cause such a violent wobble? I don't think I am getting hosed by the mechanic but I just want some others opinions.

BTW, the wobble didn't occur until I replaced my stock wheels with aftermarket alloys. Tires have been confirmed to be balanced.

Thanks
Bad ball joints will cause wobbles that are pretty bad. It is really easy for you to inspect the lower ball joints with a jack and a lever (long tube or bar).

I don't know that your u-joints would cause a shimmy unless you lost one of the caps.

If your wobble was bad enough to take out the lower ball joints and tie-rod/drag link ends, it very well could have damaged the unit bearings, it may have damaged the front upper axle side control arm bushings.

All I can really say is that the full inspection checklist at the beginning of this thread needs to be performed in one sitting.

It sounds like the shop has some understanding and experience, but did they do everything in the inspection checklist?

One of the steps is to rotate tires/wheels to see if it moves, or to switch tires/wheels with a friend to see if it makes a difference.
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #170
Johnnydenim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Okay, thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have access to another set of wheels. I am going to try to rotate the tires front to back.

They did do the checklist (not exactly as you typed it) but they did do it. I do know that the ball joints need replaced and I plan on replacing them with the Synergy ball joints. I am going to have them really check everything else again. I am just very frustrated with this. I was under the impression that doing what they did would take care of wobble for the short term while getting the ball joints done within a couple of weeks.

Thanks
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #171
Johnnydenim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Is there an easy way to tell if the unit bearings are bad?
Unread 03-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #172
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydenim
Is there an easy way to tell if the unit bearings are bad?
The best is to remove the wheel and the brake caliper. Then you can tug in and out, and up and down on the lugs to check for play.
Unread 03-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #173
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

If the wobble is speed-specific, the problem is balance somewhere, not worn parts.

The wobble goes away above 55 mph?
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #174
Johnnydenim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes
Unread 03-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #175
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

And it only appeared when you changed tires and wheels.

That makes the diagnosis easy. Something in the wheel/tire assembly is out of balance. Get another shop to check them for you.
Unread 03-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #176
Johnnydenim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Okay...now the dealer is saying that ball joints are fine. They say that the cause of the wobble is from really cupped tires. They want me to replace the tires. I am sooo frustrated and just want this to be over with. Any thoughts on the tire suggestion? Would the rim size (stock to 17x9 with 4.5bs) have caused the tires to ride different and thus causing the wobble? I asked them to swap front to rear to see if it would clear up and they said it wouldn't help?????
Unread 03-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #177
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Cupping can definitely cause wobble, but in my experience wobble from cupping doesn't come and go the way you say yours does. It becomes noticeable at a certain speed and then just gets worse as speed goes up.

You need to get that thing away from the dealer and take it to a reputable shop, preferably one with lots of 4wd experience. That dealer is going to cost you a mint replacing things that won't fix the problem.
Unread 03-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #178
Johnnydenim
2008 JK Wrangler 

I wish I was close to someone that would allow me to swap wheels with them to see if it goes away with different wheel/tires.
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #179
4DFUN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Great Thread!

So I can find later.
4DFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #180
Johnnydenim
2008 JK Wrangler 

TIRES!!!! The issue all along were the tires. I replaced them with new BFG All Terrain T/A and it rides good as new! Now I am mad at the "Off Road Shop" that replaced my tie rod ends, drag link ends, track bar and stabilizer and wanted me to replaced ball joints, u joints and unit bearings. If I had done all of that, the problem would have still existed because the tires were the issue.

Tags
death wobble , JK Wrangler , shake , shaking , steering shimmy , wheel shimmy , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.