Detroit TrueTrac or a winch?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Detroit TrueTrac or a winch??

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Vince1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sounds from your build and post that you don't wheel much on rough trails. The true trac is the answer in your situation. A high lift jack can get you out of a lot of sticky situations too.

Vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #17
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince1 View Post
Sounds from your build and post that you don't wheel much on rough trails. The true trac is the answer in your situation. A high lift jack can get you out of a lot of sticky situations too.

I agree. It doesn't really sound like there will be a huge demand for a winch. Going wheeling with a buddy and carrying some self recovery tools can all but eliminate the need for a winch.

The TrueTrac will be beneficial on the street, trail, and not just if you get stuck.

Buy a winch before you start wheeling by yourself or hitting harder trails. Until then, enjoy having the added traction of the TrueTrac.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You already have a true-trak in the rear, I very occasionally also need my front locker and when I do 40% of those times end in winching. but only you know what kind of wheeling you do and if the extra traction would lead to the need for winching.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I use my lockers on the trails more often than I use my winch. I've only been winched out once, when I didn't have a winch. My winch has been used numerous times to pull others up trails, but never had to use it on myself, yet.

Key thing to off-roading...Don't go alone!

I think the LSD would be a greater benefit to your type of driving. It could be handy on snow-covered roads, in addition to a slick trail.

The winch...save your $$$ for later, when you get into more difficult trails.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #20
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've got an '05 Rubi with full lockers. Many times I think about using the winch when stuck but the lockers have saved me everytime. Lockers first...... then when everything else is done add a wich.
billiebob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #21
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

You're going to get recommendations in either direction! Choose one, and drive accordingly! (I'd go with lockers before a winch - then choose a buddy with a winch to go with! )
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

I need a bit of help in the "word definition department", if some one would.

I know what limited slip/ true track/ posi-track in the rear is.

I know what a front locker does.

Additional traction coming from the front end: is a limited slip/true track in front the same as a "bread basket" type device? I guess what I'm wondering is, Is there a device that will act like a limited slip rear end, but doesn't do the ratchet/clicking nonsense when going around sharp turns?
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #23
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The clicking you are referring to comes from a lunch box locker (Aussie, lock Right,).

Limited slip carriers do not ratchet or click. The stock track lock is a Clutch operated limited slip. The Detroit True Track is a gear operated limited slip.

Limited slip's are NOT lockers, they are limited slips.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

So you can put a Limited Slip in the front..... Surely it's not the same parts as in the stock Jeep rear limited slip, are they?

The Detroit True Track, doesn't do the ratchet thing, correct?

What's the disadvantage to a limited slip front end, other than cost?

Thanks for your patience.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #25
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
So you can put a Limited Slip in the front.....
Yes

Quote:
Surely it's not the same parts as in the stock Jeep rear limited slip, are they?
They can be. The carriers are axle model specific, not front or rear specific. You can run a Detroit TrueTrac Limited slip in the front and the rear if you want.

Quote:
The Detroit True Track, doesn't do the ratchet thing, correct?
No, The TrueTrac is a limited slip and does not ratchet.

Quote:
What's the disadvantage to a limited slip front end, other than cost?
It's not a Locker. But on the other hand, that is also one of the biggest advantages.

Quote:
Thanks for your patience.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #26
nwco4x4
2013 JK Wrangler 

One thing to think about and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I know lockers front and rear on snow pack and ice are bad. And I'm assuming LSDs are not much better. You get this really nice turn any direction you want, as long as it's straight experience. And if you don't wheel hard enough to need a winch do you really need a limited slip. Every reply on here has at some point been in a situation that required more than an open diff in the front could provide, requiring either a winch or LSD. Lockers/LSD are great and greatly improve the capabilities of a rig, but with them two things happen: 1 you get a false sense of security and you find your way into more extreme situations, and 2 when you do get stuck you get STUCK and if you don't have means to get yourself out your typically going to need a rig as capable as yours to get to you let alone pull you out.
nwco4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #27
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwco4x4 View Post
One thing to think about and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I know lockers front and rear on snow pack and ice are bad. And I'm assuming LSDs are not much better.

You would assume wrong.

Limited Slips perform more like an open carrier than they do a locker. They just provide some resistance before they allow the "slip".
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 10-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #28
xzy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwco4x4 View Post
Lockers/LSD are great and greatly improve the capabilities of a rig, but with them two things can happen: 1 you could get a false sense of security and you find your way into more extreme situations, and 2 when you do get stuck you can get STUCK and if you don't have means to get yourself out your typically going to need a rig as capable as yours to get to you let alone pull you out.
No false sense of security here with my double TT's. They work extremely well on snow/ice and off road.

A mans just got to know his Jeeps Limitations (!)
xzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just to clarify for those reading who do not reside in the snow belt or regularly drive in those conditions. Tires make the biggest difference, lockers and LSD cannot help much with tires that perform very poorly on snow and ice. With decent tires they can greatly help get you moving which leads to the leading cause of accidents, moving too fast, lockers /LSD don't help you stop!

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #30
nwco4x4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzy View Post

No false sense of security here with my double TT's. They work extremely well on snow/ice and off road.

A mans just got to know his Jeeps Limitations (!)
Exactly and a lot of people don't know their vehicles limitations. I've seen the "I have lockers/lsd I can go anywhere attitude". And that's all I was trying to say I'm not saying everyone does, but there are definitely some.
nwco4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.