JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Detroit TrueTrac or a winch?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/detroit-truetrac-winch-1493246/)

chris79 03-14-2013 09:39 AM

Detroit TrueTrac or a winch??

So...I added a small budget boost and front and rear Smittybilt bumpers to my 12 JKU Sport, now I'm torn between a Truetrac in the front or a winch (the easy answer is both of course but $$$!). I have a Trac Lock in the rear but would love something in the front and I don't want air hoses, e-lockers, etc....the Truetrac is all mechanical and lasts forever, not to mention the reviews are great for daily drivers in snow and mild off road use, I don't rock crawl so I don't need lockers. My only issue is voiding the warranty with only 13k on it. What do you fellow Jeepers out there think??

brianjw 03-14-2013 09:48 AM

The only warranty that will void is inside of the axle assembly, and the installer/Detroit should warranty the parts installed.
This discussion comes up on a lot of boards and opinions vary wildly. My personal preference is lockers before a winch. Since you're considering a limited slip, I have to ask if you really think you need the winch? Depends on your usage I guess! Have you been stuck yet? Did you feel like more traction in the rear would have made a difference?
I've gotten away for years without a winch because I use to always wheel with a buddy who had one. On one of my rigs I installed a front hitch and wiring so I could use it as well (it was mounted on a portable tray).
But now I'm considering a winch as I'm venturing out by myself a little more often.

Kip03TJ 03-14-2013 09:52 AM

Since you live where it snows I would add another lsd up front. You can buy a cheap winch later on but you'll be using the lsd more than the winch since you don't go extreme when you offroad.

Jeffro06 03-14-2013 09:56 AM

Winch may be more useful, unless you wheel with others who have one. Last time out we had three winches, and four jeeps with lockers....we needed the winches, despite the lockers. :laugh: At times we had two winches working on one jeep...so I'll vote winch first.

chris79 03-14-2013 10:26 AM

I've ran into a couple situations with obstacles that I could've used a winch, luckily other Jeepers were around. I had a Rubi for 4 years and used my lockers 4 times, I don't do extreme off roading but the TrueTrac looks really cool for snow and mud, which is what I'm normally in.

tslewisz 03-14-2013 02:24 PM

I did a winch first, LSD's later.

michiganmaveric 03-15-2013 06:35 AM

True Trac first for sure.

slider_68 03-15-2013 09:07 AM

No ones asked but what gear ratio do you have? Do you plan to regear? If you have 3.21s and plan to regear at a later date, do the winch, if you have 3.73s or plan on regearing at the same time do the true trac. Why? 3.73 and up is a different unit than the one for 3.21, no reason to buy it twice.

chris79 03-15-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slider_68 (Post 15138293)
No ones asked but what gear ratio do you have? Do you plan to regear? If you have 3.21s and plan to regear at a later date, do the winch, if you have 3.73s or plan on regearing at the same time do the true trac. Why? 3.73 and up is a different unit than the one for 3.21, no reason to buy it twice.

I've got 3.73s and I don't plan on regearing.

nwco4x4 03-16-2013 08:52 PM

Winch first. Lockers/LSD are great and they greatly enhance the abilities of a jeep, but they also greatly enhance the getting stuck abilities of the Jeep. They will get you places that only an equally built rig will get to, which can be a real problem if your the only one with an LSD front and rear. My advice is make sure you can always get yourself out. lockers/LSD wont do you any good if you got to walk home instead of pulling out 50' of winch line

zaq123 03-16-2013 08:59 PM

Lockers for sure. Go with OX. Good bang for the buck, comes with diff cover and also cable operated.

tslewisz 09-29-2013 09:00 PM

I went with a winch first, then TrueTracs, front and rear. I don't regret that choice at all.

xzy 09-29-2013 09:33 PM

I've got TT's front and rear.

Without question get the TT before winter hits. A winch will be easier to add later.

SLADE 09-30-2013 10:36 AM

You'll use the TrueTrac every time you put it in four wheel drive.

I had TrueTracs (front/ rear) and 4.88's installed with less than 4k miles. The warranty is nice, but I'd rather have the Jeep I want than to do without for that long waiting on the warranty to run out.

jimk403 09-30-2013 03:22 PM

I say winch. I (and others) have been in places where lockers would not help. For example, guy in a brand new Rubicon 2dr sat it down on a boulder on Bronco Peak trail (So Cal). If he had a winch, he would not have sat out there in the rain all day until he found us.

The time now is 03:03 AM.