Dent from letting door swing all the way - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Dent from letting door swing all the way

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 08-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
bsteeves86
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Yonkers
Posts: 111
Dent from letting door swing all the way

Hey everyone I cantbelieve I dented my brand new Jeep from my own stupidity. I expect a few minor dings and scratches but not from something stupid like taking the doors off. Needless to say is there something I can do to fix the dent? The dent is above the fender where the mirror would meet the side of the car if the door swung completely open. The paint isnt chipped which is a good thing so I am somewhat reluctant of trying to fix it. If I open the hood I can almost fit my hand behind the dent, maybe pop it out or something, or do you think I should leave it? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks

bsteeves86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
ncb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Your mom's house, Colorado
Posts: 4,545
Find a paintless dent repair company to fix it. Many are mobile. I had a ding on the back end of a WRX and it was easily fixed by a dent doctor company.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler
 
dvdsjk's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,735
I agree with ncb, but shop around. Most stealerships claim they do it but around here I found that basicallly its one guy who goes to most of the shops on diff days.. I went to him direct for my magnum and saved the middle man dollars. Call around.
dvdsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
kubwa_jim
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cedar Hill, TX
Posts: 557
I managed to dent both sides doing the same thing in the first week I owned the Jeep. I laugh now every time I see a Jeep with that very recognizable bagde of honor. The other day I saw a picture in a magazine of a show JK that had the same marks.
__________________
Don't look at me, your rights were violated before I ever got here!!
kubwa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
RRCP08JK
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 171
It's a Jeep - leave it. That adds to the tales you can tell along with the other future trail rash you may accumulate over the years!
__________________
"It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory" ~ George S. Patton
RRCP08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
Beltfed09
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 217
had a friend do the exact same thing... not sure how bad your dent is. his wasnt bad and he was able to use the dry ice method, Just hold the dry ice on the dent for about 15-20 seconds and then pull it off, might let it sit like that as it takes a few minutes for the dent to begin pulling.... if more than 5-10 mins goes by and its not all the way gone repeat same steps again

DO NOT hold dry ice with your bare hands, use an oven mitt or something
__________________
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
Beltfed09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
ryangeno
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 77
lol... yeah i did the same thing at carlisle this year.. it was the first week i owned it. i was so ticked.. i made an appointment with dent wizard and he did pull it out but also cracked the paint a smidge.. he gave me a discount though... $100 bucks later, the dent is gone but a crack remains. i wish i would have just left it as is but since the jeep was so new to me, i overreacted. anyway - just leave it.. it adds character. i never heard of this dry ice method but i would try that first. otherwise dont worry about it.
ryangeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
Beltfed09
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 217
Yup, dry ice works wonders... but not for serious dents... I have another friend that got his insurance check for hail damage on his car and spent a few hours dry icing them all... I would say he got about 85% of the hail damage out completely and the other 15% was improved. he was happy with that and a nice check to spend money on his harley with as his car is a ford focus and just a get to work car...


[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D6AZoN0c6lI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D6AZoN0c6lI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
__________________
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson
Beltfed09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
mattman8706
Web Wheeler
 
mattman8706's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 4,558
I have those dents... I might try dry ice
__________________
-Matt

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
DeepSky
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman8706 View Post
I have those dents... I might try dry ice
Let me know how that works. I wouldn't mind giving that a shot, but I'm certainly not going to pay $100+ fixing a little dent like this.
DeepSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
mattman8706
Web Wheeler
 
mattman8706's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 4,558
will do....


but just to warn you I am pretty lazy so I will probably never really do it
__________________
-Matt

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
mikebigh
Senior Member
 
mikebigh's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: long island
Posts: 746
I have the driver side swinging mirror dent. I too suck.
__________________
Rock Krawler Suspensions
mikebigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #13
stefel22
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 36
Did the same thing this weekend. Its amazing And I thought I was the only guy to do this after owning the jeep for 3 weeks,its funny how your eyes go right to the ding. Showed it to a friend who pointed to my front bumper and said what about the dent in your front bumper which I didnt even know I had and Im like M-----------r . The bumper dent popped out with a little banging but now has that white hazzy look Oh well Its a jeep but you love it so much especially being new that it drives you nuts.
stefel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 06:49 AM   #14
bluetj04
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collierville
Posts: 166
dent dr or check a catalog for the part number and then get an estimate for painting the part, if i remember correctly the part was lass then $30.00 and it cost me $127.00 to have the dent popped out, but either way it will look like new.
__________________
MY favorite thing in the world is also the most frustrating...girls and jeeps
http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/bluetjo4/
bluetj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
RRCP08JK
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltfed09 View Post
Yup, dry ice works wonders... but not for serious dents... I have another friend that got his insurance check for hail damage on his car and spent a few hours dry icing them all... I would say he got about 85% of the hail damage out completely and the other 15% was improved. he was happy with that and a nice check to spend money on his harley with as his car is a ford focus and just a get to work car...


[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D6AZoN0c6lI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D6AZoN0c6lI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
Cool video - except for the porn music in the background!
__________________
"It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory" ~ George S. Patton
RRCP08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.