Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Defination of a "new" jeep at a dealer

3K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  Chip 7857 
#1 ·
I've been talking to this dealer about an 07 Sahara. The vehicle was made in November and has 550 miles on it. Right now they consider it a Dealer demo.

When I asked about buying it they told me it was a new vehicle and the only discount would be $.10 a mile.. Or roughly $50. I didn't think that was acceptable, so I left.

To be fair I do have a discount through Chrysler, so we are right at the invoice point.

The vehicle has every option I was minus the Sirius raido. I countered with them paying an extended MX plan, but they declined.

Am I making to much out of this?

Deal is the Sahara at, or just below invoice with the power group, hardtop, 18" wheels, locking fuel cap, floor mats made in Nov 06, with 550 miles on it. A saleman has been driving it, for $23,570

I can order a new one with the same options (minus 18" wheels) plus Sirius for $23,800.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

See less See more
#27 ·
My "Brand New" Sahara

My ride had 6 miles on it, 2 of which I put on during my light test drive I took after I drove a rescue green demo with 120 on it for my "real' test drive. While I did not beat the demo, I floored it once I hit the open road to check acceleration and braked hard before turns. This is not the "brand new" vehicle I wanted to take home since I figure 10 other shmucks did the same or worse in the first 120 miles of egine break-in.

I did buy a demo Xterra a few years back for with my wife, 780 miles on it. Got it for $1800 less then the one with 18 miles on the lot, same color and equipment package. $50 less on the Jeep, Let them choke on it and order one from another dealer.

#28 ·
The four doors are hot at the moment for some reason; the dealer that I bought my 2 door from had a 4 door Rubion for 5k more than the sticker because they told me that it was one of 5 in the state.

When I was shopping for my 2 door dealers where quoting me invoice for them, and that was about a month ago. I didn't think that it was such a big deal to get one, then again there is somthing like 30 Jeep dealers in a 100 mile radius from my house.

Work with the Fleet Department and order a new one, don't give your hard earned cash to a sales guy that doesn't know squat about his products. Nothing pisses me off more than someone trying to sell me something that I know more about.

#29 ·
Guys:

I can see trying to negotiate a better price b/c of the miles. If they don't work with you then go somewhere else - not a big deal, really. I agree with a lot of people who posted - patience = ca$h. New jeeps are rolling off the line in toledo every day . . .

Miles are not an issue - in fact, it is actually better for your jeep if someone did go out and romp on the engine for a while. Read up on some of the info on the web for properly breaking-in an engine. Even the jeep manual states that you need to have a few full throttle runs to properly seat the rings . . . Besides, no one is going to beat on my jeep as bad as I do . . . What else can they do? Brake hard? Dump the clutch? BFD. These jeeps can take that.

My jeep had 270 miles on it but that was b/c they bough it from another dealership and they drove it over instead of flat-bedding it. I've bought a used 00 wrangler with over 88k miles on it. What do you think the owners did before me? . . . never had a problem or performance issue.

Get what you want and the price you want - don't sweat the small stuff . . .

#30 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

When I looked at the jeep with 550 miles on it (Three different days) it was always filled with crap.. The salesman's gym clothes, gold bag, gym shoes, and even used taco bell bag. It was never clean.

It's really a moot point, in 15 mins I'm heading to another dealership to order my new Sahara!

Thanks again.

Ken

#31 ·
Im not sure what the deal is with our local dealer here. They have 8 4 doors on the lot.....3 2wd, the rest are loaded.....about 6 2wd on the lot......from X's to top of the line.....all just sitting there.

They also have a used 2wd sahara.....bluish with a black hardtop (dual tops actually)....was the manager's "demo" jeep...about 2500 miles on it.....$1500 cheaper than a new one......and has been sitting on the lot over a month now.

These jeeps arent rare....at least here.

Chris M
NC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.