Defination of a "new" jeep at a dealer - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Defination of a "new" jeep at a dealer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 03-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #16
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

A Dealer Demo vehicle is driven by a salesperson, or a sales manager. For Demo drives, we show the customer the vehicle that he or she intends to purchase. A demonstrator is a new vehicle, and it is not titled, and as such, is a new vehicle.

If the dealership purchases the vehicle and enters it into fleet use, then it is considered a used vehicle, as it is titled to the dealership.

When I have a demo (not presently in one), I treat it better than I do my personal vehicle (do not keep any personal belongings in it other than my sunglasses and a snow brush in the winter), and it is used to drive to work in the morning, and home in the evening.

If you want a new Jeep with no miles, then order one. Don't go thinking we are going to go losing thousands of dollars on a brand new vehicle with 500 miles on it. Believe it or not, we work for a living, and do enjoy the prospect of bringing a paycheck home at the end of a month (our family's do enjoy eating, and having a roof over their head).

Chili Pepper Red 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Agent 000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #17
Chip 7857

Any new vehicle needs to be broken in. What if it was a demo and the guy tried to do the Actual Rubicon in it? All dealers are not saints and some say just about anything to make a sale. I just wouldn't buy one with that many miles on it, I want to be the one who breaks in my $35,000 investment.

I was lucky I found one that had most everything that I wanted. I had to call every dealer in this state and it took awhile. If you bought one down here and drove it back to Alaska, all I got to say that would a hell of a nice trip in a new Jeep.
Unread 03-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #18
Chip 7857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 000
A Dealer Demo vehicle is driven by a salesperson, or a sales manager. For Demo drives, we show the customer the vehicle that he or she intends to purchase. A demonstrator is a new vehicle, and it is not titled, and as such, is a new vehicle.

If the dealership purchases the vehicle and enters it into fleet use, then it is considered a used vehicle, as it is titled to the dealership.

When I have a demo (not presently in one), I treat it better than I do my personal vehicle (do not keep any personal belongings in it other than my sunglasses and a snow brush in the winter), and it is used to drive to work in the morning, and home in the evening.

If you want a new Jeep with no miles, then order one. Don't go thinking we are going to go losing thousands of dollars on a brand new vehicle with 500 miles on it. Believe it or not, we work for a living, and do enjoy the prospect of bringing a paycheck home at the end of a month (our family's do enjoy eating, and having a roof over their head).
And you may be an honest dealer. But I am going to protect myself. Plus I would expect a discount with that many miles on it. A New car is a new Car and a demo is not a new car. If someone bought a car from you and brought it back a the next week with 500 miles on it, you wouldn't give a full refund, would you?
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:18 PM   #19
4GvnSnr

No way I would buy that. You can find a better deal on a brand new one .
4GvnSnr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #20
DirtyJeepJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip 7857
Any new vehicle needs to be broken in. What if it was a demo and the guy tried to do the Actual Rubicon in it? All dealers are not saints and some say just about anything to make a sale. I just wouldn't buy one with that many miles on it, I want to be the one who breaks in my $35,000 investment.

I was lucky I found one that had most everything that I wanted. I had to call every dealer in this state and it took awhile. If you bought one down here and drove it back to Alaska, all I got to say that would a hell of a nice trip in a new Jeep.

i agree, the first 500 miles are the most important to the long and healthy life of your engine and drivetrain. you never know what kind of tool took it for a test drive.
DirtyJeepJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #21
jeepers3

Quote:
If someone bought a car from you and brought it back a the next week with 500 miles on it, you wouldn't give a full refund, would you?
I wouldn't give them any refund. If I wanted the car, I wouldn't have sold it in the first place (:
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #22
jeepers3

Quote:
If you bought one down here and drove it back to Alaska, all I got to say that would a hell of a nice trip in a new Jeep.
Well, you would think, but considering it was January and the middle of winter, it didn't really qualify as a "hell of a nice trip". Covering an average of 700 miles a day on those roads, in that weather, alone, was really a lot of work more than anything else. (:

Besides, by the time I got it home, "my brand new Jeep" had over 5000 miles on it. If I could have got one locally with only 500 miles on it at the same price, esp. if it were exactly what I wanted, rather than what I could manage to get, I wouldn't complain AT ALL (:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #23
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Location: royal oak michigan (hometown of DR. JACK KEVORKIAN)
edit: my comments were covered in a previous post.

I would order new so you know it is broken in properly.
Unread 03-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #24
Chip 7857

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
Well, you would think, but considering it was January and the middle of winter, it didn't really qualify as a "hell of a nice trip". Covering an average of 700 miles a day on those roads, in that weather, alone, was really a lot of work more than anything else. (:

Besides, by the time I got it home, "my brand new Jeep" had over 5000 miles on it. If I could have got one locally with only 500 miles on it at the same price, esp. if it were exactly what I wanted, rather than what I could manage to get, I wouldn't complain AT ALL (:

That's pretty cool, Both the Jeep and the mountain. I didn't know they even offered heated seats. I like those gas carriers, I'm afraid I'd back into someone and really do some damage.
Unread 03-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #25
jeepers3

Quote:
That's pretty cool, Both the Jeep and the mountain. I didn't know they even offered heated seats. I like those gas carriers, I'm afraid I'd back into someone and really do some damage.
Thanks (:

The heated seats are after-market. I had them installed the day after I got the Jeep. There is a thread on it if you want to read more. As for the cargo carrier - yeah - it would be nice if I could have wired up an "ignite and dump" switch to deter tailgaiters, but it still works well for carrying gas, water, SCUBA tanks, or whatever other gear someone might need to carry. (:
Unread 03-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #26
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 000

As has been said, you may be an honest guy that treats his demo with the utmost respect and doesn't allow customers to mistreat it, but I would bet that your sitituation is not typical and I certainly wouldn't take the risk on purchasing a demo with that many miles, especially at only a $50 discount! In my experience test driving cars from a customer's perspective, dealers tend to encourage the customer to beat on a demo - they know that they will have it for a while and it will rack up the miles, so they already know they won't be able to sell it for maximum value - thus, they encourage you to "floor it" and "give it a go", etc. Also from a customer's perspective, I don't feel quite so bad giving the demo a tough test drive, because I view it as the dealer's test mule for that purpose, so the customers don't tear up the rest of the fleet with hard test drives. The way I've seen it done before is to give the demo a hard test drive, full acceleration runs, hard in the corners, full panic stops, etc. to make sure that the vehicle drives how I would expect in extreme conditions. Then, if I'm satisfied and they have one on the lot equipped to my specs, I give it a soft drive around to block to make sure nothing is obviously askew and then go in and purchase that vehicle. The assumption is that the vehicle I've purchased will perform like the demo in extreme conditions - thus, there's no need to treat my new vehicle that way on a test drive. I actually think this is a good system for larger dealers that can afford to have a demo on the lot that they know will sell for less after it's done its duty.

You mention that it is a "brand new vehicle ... with 500 miles on it." Your definition of a "brand new vehicle" certainly differs from mine. I would define a new vehicle as one that was recently built by the factory, has little to no miles on it, and has not been titled. Apparantly your definition is limited to - has not been titled. What if the demo has 1,000 miles but hasn't been titled? How about 5,000? Where do you draw the line?
cab76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #27
BirdsFanVa
2007 JK Wrangler 

My "Brand New" Sahara

My ride had 6 miles on it, 2 of which I put on during my light test drive I took after I drove a rescue green demo with 120 on it for my "real' test drive. While I did not beat the demo, I floored it once I hit the open road to check acceleration and braked hard before turns. This is not the "brand new" vehicle I wanted to take home since I figure 10 other shmucks did the same or worse in the first 120 miles of egine break-in.

I did buy a demo Xterra a few years back for with my wife, 780 miles on it. Got it for $1800 less then the one with 18 miles on the lot, same color and equipment package. $50 less on the Jeep, Let them choke on it and order one from another dealer.
BirdsFanVa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #28
Dirt_sample

The four doors are hot at the moment for some reason; the dealer that I bought my 2 door from had a 4 door Rubion for 5k more than the sticker because they told me that it was one of 5 in the state.

When I was shopping for my 2 door dealers where quoting me invoice for them, and that was about a month ago. I didn't think that it was such a big deal to get one, then again there is somthing like 30 Jeep dealers in a 100 mile radius from my house.

Work with the Fleet Department and order a new one, don't give your hard earned cash to a sales guy that doesn't know squat about his products. Nothing pisses me off more than someone trying to sell me something that I know more about.
Dirt_sample is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:49 PM   #29
bantam

Guys:

I can see trying to negotiate a better price b/c of the miles. If they don't work with you then go somewhere else - not a big deal, really. I agree with a lot of people who posted - patience = ca$h. New jeeps are rolling off the line in toledo every day . . .

Miles are not an issue - in fact, it is actually better for your jeep if someone did go out and romp on the engine for a while. Read up on some of the info on the web for properly breaking-in an engine. Even the jeep manual states that you need to have a few full throttle runs to properly seat the rings . . . Besides, no one is going to beat on my jeep as bad as I do . . . What else can they do? Brake hard? Dump the clutch? BFD. These jeeps can take that.

My jeep had 270 miles on it but that was b/c they bough it from another dealership and they drove it over instead of flat-bedding it. I've bought a used 00 wrangler with over 88k miles on it. What do you think the owners did before me? . . . never had a problem or performance issue.

Get what you want and the price you want - don't sweat the small stuff . . .
bantam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #30
KenyTN

Thanks for all the responses.

When I looked at the jeep with 550 miles on it (Three different days) it was always filled with crap.. The salesman's gym clothes, gold bag, gym shoes, and even used taco bell bag. It was never clean.

It's really a moot point, in 15 mins I'm heading to another dealership to order my new Sahara!

Thanks again.

Ken
KenyTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.