Defination of a "new" jeep at a dealer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Defination of a "new" jeep at a dealer

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
KenyTN

Defination of a "new" jeep at a dealer

I've been talking to this dealer about an 07 Sahara. The vehicle was made in November and has 550 miles on it. Right now they consider it a Dealer demo.

When I asked about buying it they told me it was a new vehicle and the only discount would be $.10 a mile.. Or roughly $50. I didn't think that was acceptable, so I left.

To be fair I do have a discount through Chrysler, so we are right at the invoice point.

The vehicle has every option I was minus the Sirius raido. I countered with them paying an extended MX plan, but they declined.

Am I making to much out of this?

Deal is the Sahara at, or just below invoice with the power group, hardtop, 18" wheels, locking fuel cap, floor mats made in Nov 06, with 550 miles on it. A saleman has been driving it, for $23,570

I can order a new one with the same options (minus 18" wheels) plus Sirius for $23,800.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

KenyTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Omega Man
2007 JK Wrangler 

It has been beat for that 500 miles. That thing is used. I would order one not take a used on off of the lot. Thy let people drive it, that makes it used. By the definition on the law it is new since it was never titled, but I would pass for sure.
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It is not "new" with that many miles on the odometer. If there were just under 100 miles of "test drives" .. I might say new - but barely.

I would offer them $1,000 to $1,500 under their asking because of the extra miles, or tell them that you will pay full price for one with 0 miles on it. It is your money that you are spending - you decide how much you want to spend it.

• Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
KenyTN

We went round and round on the price...They refuse to lower the price any..

I think I'll just order a new one.

Thanks!

Ken
KenyTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
danorth

Just remember these things aren't that rare, not nearly as they'd have you believe. Some guy told me that if I could come in and order mine on last Sunday that it could guarantee a 8 week delivery, but if I waited til the Monday (next day) it would take the full 12 weeks. I asked him how that would make a difference and he stumbled all over himself. Clown.

I'm honestly thinking about waiting until the end of the year when they get marked down, or to see what comes out new for the '08.
danorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

If the vehicle has been officially put into service (Date warranty started)( you can ask the dealer what the service date is) then it is considered a used vehicle.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #7
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyTN
We went round and round on the price...They refuse to lower the price any..

I think I'll just order a new one.

Thanks!

Ken
Order it from a different dealer. That'll show em!
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
roklok
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc
Order it from a different dealer. That'll show em!

Absolutely!!
roklok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
swagginman

There's plenty out there and the ordered units are moving much more quickly. Tie yourself to no dealership and get the best price you can. Most are fools still trying to play the rarity card. No fly!
swagginman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
jeepers3

I think you're making too much of it. It has everything you want and is otherwise the perfect Jeep for you, and the price is excellent. 500 miles is nothing. I'd buy it for sure. Hell, I've had my Jeep for only 10 weeks or so and it has over 7200 miles on it. Starting off with 500 miles wouldn't make much difference.

Last edited by jeepers3; 03-22-2007 at 02:31 PM..
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
wyocommander
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Swagginman is correct.

Suggestion: Have no further sales dealings with that stealer/dealership.

Use the net and shop around. Driving 100 miles and having an extra $1,000 or 2 left in our pockets(considering trade and all) and/or getting exactly what we want is time well spent. At least it has been for us.

I have read of so many people in a frenzy to have one, be the first on their block, etc.

They take what they can get, not what they want...OR they place an order and agonize for months over it. They spend twenty thousand dollars or more on a vehicle sight unseen, no test drive, then are surprised and complain on forums when something doesn't work or was put together wrong, and the dealer/manufacturer won't/can't make it function to their satisfaction. They end up wasting weeks or months trying to get problems that existed at delivery resolved.

Patience can save you money, get you exactly what you want and give you a chance to thoroughly examine the actual vehicle you are considering buying before you commit any of your money.

We've bought more than 40 vehicles and never ordered one or bought a vehicle without test driving the actual vehicle we were considering purchasing. 'Try before you buy' has worked for us. All the whining on various auto forums tells me a lot of people didn't. Sure things can go wrong down the road, but why start out with problems that need to be resolved. Chrysler is not exactly known for quality control. With research and thorough test drives, one is a lot more likely to drive off happy and stay that way.

But, bottom line, it is your money. Just my $800,000.00+ worth.
wyocommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't buy that unless it was substantially discounted - even more than a typical used car w/500 miles. 500 miles from one owner that has a vested interest in taking care of his vehicle is very different from 500 test drive miles from many drivers that have a vested interest in pushing the vehicle a bit to see whether it will work for them.
cab76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
Chip 7857

That's the trouble with all that mileage, is that you don't know who drove it and what they did to it. Did some salesman pop the clutch and red line it when it got off the truck? You never know. Mine had 50 on it.
Unread 03-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
Bamoman
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
I think you're making too much of it. It has everything you want and is otherwise the perfect Jeep for you, and the price is excellent. 500 miles is nothing. I'd buy it for sure. Hell, I've had my Jeep for only 10 weeks or so and it has over 7200 miles on it. Starting off with 500 miles wouldn't make much difference.
the only one telling you to buy it on this thread flew from Alaska to Virgina to get one and drove 1000s of miles back to Alaska to get what he wants NOW

Hes never heard the saying "Patience is a virtue" Consider the source

i got my Sahara in a few days short of 8 weeks and got all of what i wanted on it.
hold out for what you want

Auto|Sirius|Trac-lok Rear Diff |35 12.50 17 MT Radial MTZs| Pro Comp 1069 polished 17x9s|Teraflex 2.5 BB|3/4 Skyjacker leveling spacer
Trail Guide Nav|Amsteel Synthetic rope 100'|Shrockworks Alum Fairlead|Grab Handles x 4|Front Winch Bumper|Rear Bumper w Tire Carrier
Tow Grp|Shrockworks Rock Sliders|T-Max 9k Winch|Wireless Winch Remote|Roadboy Fog Lights
Unread 03-22-2007, 05:36 PM   #15
jeepers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip 7857
That's the trouble with all that mileage, is that you don't know who drove it and what they did to it. Did some salesman pop the clutch and red line it when it got off the truck? You never know. Mine had 50 on it.
And what, it takes 50 miles to drive it off the truck? Even with 50 miles, someone can give it bad treatment. I don't think 10 times the miles results in 10 times the bad treatment. The dealer isn't interested in seeing the vehicles it tries to sell trashed any more than the people who want to buy them.
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.