Debris in radiator overflow canister - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Debris in radiator overflow canister

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Debris in radiator overflow canister

So I was looking under my 2013 JRU with a drop light and noticed what looked like debris in the bottom of the over flow canister. I dropped a clear hose in the canister and pulled it out and there was a light brown sludge that was covering the bottom 1" of the hose. WTF any one else seen this?

img_1791.jpg

img_1793.jpg

Unread 01-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

That's very common. Nobody knows for sure what it is. Lots of guesses, though.
See if you can get it analyzed somewhere.

Sometimes it's bad enough to block the heater core, and even the radiator.
There is a TSB to direct the dealer technicians through the repair procedure if it's an issue.
Unread 01-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
mello

It looks like possible stop leak. Most manufacturers put it in upon assembly. The pellets seem to be the popular choice of ford an GM not sure about Chrysler.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

↑ what he said...
Unread 01-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well I dropped it off at the dealer.... printed out the STAR (poor heater performance) which tells them to replace the radiator and heater core if sludge is found in the overflow canister. I also supplied them with the TSB regarding the wrong fluids used in the cooling system....should be purple mine is orange. We will see what they say!!!!
Unread 01-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

In case any one was interested they found a 17 degree split in temp between pass and driver side and debris in the cap and coolant reservoir. They are replacing the radiator, cap, heater core, engine oil cooler, and thermostat. They are also going to flush the system prior to replacing components and put the purple coolant in.
Unread 06-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #7
SheilaAnnJW

I know this is a post from January but I just discovered my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara has this issue I went in to the dealership due to the heat not working. They have to take the motor out and replace the heater core and radiator now I'm worried I'll have issues from here out since sand like substance has went through the motor hAs anyone had this problem and had the repair done? Just wondering how your jeep is doing after the repair... Thank you!!
SheilaAnnJW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #8
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

I had it fixed about 2 months ago. Replaced radiator, heater core, oil cooler and flushed the whole system. The engine does not have to be removed but the entire dash get removed, and a good part of the engine disassembled. Make sure they put the good coolant back in (purple stuff) good for 10 year 100k
epettit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.