Death wobble solved (in my case anyway) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Death wobble solved (in my case anyway)

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 02-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
mrcrwly
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Death wobble solved (in my case anyway)

It finally drove me crazy enough to spend some time and fix it...
turns out the rough country track bar extension (upper) had come loose over time and was letting it shift back n forth. Decided to weld the bracket, and add some reinforcement. Shouldnt have any troubles now for a while..
Once i get more time/money/ambition im going to have a buddy fab up some new mounts and gussets for the lower mount (it was tight and holding up good still)
Nice to be able to drive like normal again lol

Rescue Green Jeep Club Official Member Let the mods begin! 07 JK Sahara Loaded, 4.10s lim slip 4" RC lift 16 34x10.50 LTB Interco Swampers. Pro-Josh Evap relocation, Skid Row motor/trans skid, Build in the works...
mrcrwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That front track bar can be the cause of many people's DW and can also be the easiest fix. Good job
Unread 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Way to go. I know the feeling about holding off on things that you know need fixing. Oh well, allís good that ends good. Now, if I would justÖ
Unread 02-17-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
TurtleSlinger
2009 JK Wrangler 

I dont have DW in my Rubi...but I do have the RC trackbar extension with RC dual stabilizer up front.
Both of these items ALWAYS seem to need tightening. I havent gotten around to welding that bracket like you have. Just try to tighten these bolts up every month or two to make sure there is no play in my steering. Short of welding, has anyone tried semi permanent thread lock to keep these bolts tight? Worth it ? Or just weld?
07 MB AMG E63 "My 11 sec sedan" - modded
11 HD NightRod Special - modded
TurtleSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Permatex thread lock is almost always a good idea on any nut, bolt or screw that you donít want to come loose. Give it a try, the factory does.
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

My wife and I bought our '07 Unlimited Sahara a year ago Feb. It came with a 4" Tuff Country lift. I went through everything from the dealership check to parts replacement. My issue was with the caster being set too far positive. I adjusted it a couple weekends ago, and as of this writing my DW hasn't even thought of coming back. Not even a hint.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
My wife and I bought our '07 Unlimited Sahara a year ago Feb. It came with a 4" Tuff Country lift. I went through everything from the dealership check to parts replacement. My issue was with the caster being set too far positive. I adjusted it a couple weekends ago, and as of this writing my DW hasn't even thought of coming back. Not even a hint.
Too much caster will increase the pneumatic trial.. THIS is what generates the oscillations..the rest is a matter of dampening with the SS and with the natural frequency of the steering and suspension components. Of course, loose and worn suspension/steering components will exacerbate this....
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
Too much caster will increase the pneumatic trial.. THIS is what generates the oscillations..the rest is a matter of dampening with the SS and with the natural frequency of the steering and suspension components. Of course, loose and worn suspension/steering components will exacerbate this....
Thank you for the technical jargon. I have the know-how and the understanding, just not the language to back it up.

Unread 03-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
Thank you for the technical jargon. I have the know-how and the understanding, just not the language to back it up.
I was just trying to put it in perspective....

Last edited by USAntigoon; 03-29-2010 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: typo
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

When I put my modest 2.5 inch OME lift on (in reality it turned out to be about 3.5 inches), I found that I had increased my caster to about 10 degrees - opposite what some others have found I guess - anyway, I ended up putting on adj upper CAs that brought the caster back to about 4 degrees and have no problems at all. Just 2 cents of experience.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am getting my front adjustable upper control arms replaced today under warranty along with my bilstein 5100 shocks under warranty. My lift is somewhere around 4" + / - .5".

What are some good numbers I should dial in?
Unread 03-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

My dealership told me that there was nothing wrong with my alignment, so I believed them. Two weeks ago, having my wheels off for a rotation, I glanced at the axle from a top side perspective. Even to my eye the caster looked way off. All I had was an angle finder, so I placed it onto locations that I could pull a reading from, like ball joints, and found my caster to be at about 10-11 degrees. (I had to compensate for modest jack stand height and driveway angle).

Just this past weekend, I finally was able to unfreeze the tie rod adjuster and reset my toe-in. It was off by a 1/4"! No wonder my tires wore on the outside! Now this Jeep tracks true. So much for trained techs at a dealership!

Unread 03-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrwly View Post
Glad you got it fixed

Questions for ya:

1. Are you running the bracket simply to reduce the angle of the TB with your 4" of lift or to save $$ on an adjustable TB??
2. Are you running a drop pitman arm?
3. Its hard to tell from that picture; how parallel are your trackbar and drag link to each other?
4. Also, I assume the bar that runs from the upper TB mount to the sway bar was your addition? Any issue with disconnecting the sway bar linkage (if you have quick discos)?

Last edited by DeepSky; 03-29-2010 at 01:44 PM..
DeepSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Well I picked up a while ago. The new front upper control arms are on along with the new shocks. I can tell you it drives and rides pretty damn good. It even feels like it is sitting up higher for some reason. I don't know how long it will stay this way. What I do know is I am in love again. Today was a beautiful sunny 70 degrees. I had the t-tops off and it was bliss. I will soon order a hoist so I can finally take the back section off.
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #15
WVUJeeper
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
Glad you got it fixed

Questions for ya:

1. Are you running the bracket simply to reduce the angle of the TB with your 4" of lift or to save $$ on an adjustable TB??
2. Are you running a drop pitman arm?
3. Its hard to tell from that picture; how parallel are your trackbar and drag link to each other?
4. Also, I assume the bar that runs from the upper TB mount to the sway bar was your addition? Any issue with disconnecting the sway bar linkage (if you have quick discos)?
I don't think it goes to the sway bar....looks like it just goes to the cross-member behind the swaybar.
BTW, what's with the "if you haven't driven one shut up" nonsense? How can we have a good internet fight if experience and knowledge are going to be a requirement?
'08 Rescue Green Unlimited X - Hard Top, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, Infinity 7 speaker system, KC Slimlite Long Range, Cobra CB, Rough Country 2.5" BB, 35" BFG KM2's on ProComp 7089's. Fenderless and proud!

My build thread: HERE

RESCUE GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #25
COLORADO JEEP CLUB MEMBER # 1001
WVUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.