Death Wobble AT SAME SPOT - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-29-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Dovi82nd

Death Wobble AT SAME SPOT

So for the past few days I take this pretty rough cement road home and only twice out of 10 times my jeep will get the death wobble at the SAME EXACT SPOT and I'm not sure why... any suggestion? is it possible if I hit a bump a certain way it will cause it to give me the death wobble? I have to come to a stop on the side on the shoulder then go again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-29-2016, 08:40 PM
christensent
2014 JK Wrangler 

Totally normal for it to happen at one exact spot, it'll probably get worse if you don't fix it. It's likely it's a track bar bolt. Go here to learn all about it and figure out how to fix it: http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-wr...obbles-260145/
post #3 of 24 Old 01-30-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Dovi82nd

When I mean same exact spot I mean when the road turns from cement to pavement and turning slightly and hitting all those pot holes thats where it happens. The bolts are a great place to start, tomorrow or monday I will inspect it! thanks!
post #4 of 24 Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovi82nd View Post
So for the past few days I take this pretty rough cement road home and only twice out of 10 times my jeep will get the death wobble at the SAME EXACT SPOT and I'm not sure why... any suggestion? is it possible if I hit a bump a certain way it will cause it to give me the death wobble? I have to come to a stop on the side on the shoulder then go again!
Hey Dovi82nd,

I am sorry to hear about your recent concern with your Wrangler. What is the model year and engine type of your Wrangler? This information will allow me to better research things like technical service bulletins.
post #5 of 24 Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Dovi82nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Hey Dovi82nd,

I am sorry to hear about your recent concern with your Wrangler. What is the model year and engine type of your Wrangler? This information will allow me to better research things like technical service bulletins.
2014, Pentstar V6 3.6. Its weird because the the tires don't appear to be out of balance, but I could be wrong, Last night I deflated the tires because they were at 37 not 35 and the death wobble was a lot less violent and was able to correct itself in a 1/4 mile stretch. The track bar looks SLIGHTLY like barely even bent, which I'm not sure if its designed that way because no paint chips or anything is missing, its smooth and very minimal it feels right. The steering though is very sensitive, I feel EVERY bump, and I can turn the wheel and drive with a single finger. There is virtually no pressure
post #6 of 24 Old 02-01-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Dovi82nd

Tie Rod not track bar m sorry
post #7 of 24 Old 02-01-2016, 04:42 PM
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

I too have an "exact same spot" where DW occurs 95% of the time at about 58 mph. Oddly enough it is a very smooth asphalt road. DW starts just over the the crest of a very small hill on the downhill side. There are much bumpier spots in the road after this section but no DW there. Odd. I'm going to take it in for tire balancing again and see if there is any change. I had them balanced about 6 months ago so they may be out again. The Dealer didn't find anything wrong with the stock front end.

2008 JK Wrangler Unlimited X
2005 KJ Liberty
1994 YJ
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
post #8 of 24 Old 02-01-2016, 04:48 PM
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Hey Dovi82nd,

It's the same thing that is wrong with Jeeps worldwide, it's not something special.
You are losing creditability with the scripted posts you are making.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #9 of 24 Old 02-01-2016, 05:50 PM
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks
It's the same thing that is wrong with Jeeps worldwide, it's not something special. You are losing creditability with your scripted posts you making.
I'll say

2008 JK Wrangler Unlimited X
2005 KJ Liberty
1994 YJ
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
post #10 of 24 Old 02-01-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Dovi82nd

Actually each situation is different and I got a dm that actually helped a lot, I liked all over for people getting the DW at only one spot... each post says the same thing, tie rod bolt or bushings, but thats not what it was in my case, in my case it was 3 things, slightly bent tie rod that caused the alignment to be off and possibly the steering box... so in all honesty I think its different and it helped. Thank you for everyone who helped, I hope tomorrow on my way back from work I don't get the DW again
post #11 of 24 Old 02-02-2016, 07:36 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovi82nd View Post
2014, Pentstar V6 3.6. Its weird because the the tires don't appear to be out of balance, but I could be wrong, Last night I deflated the tires because they were at 37 not 35 and the death wobble was a lot less violent and was able to correct itself in a 1/4 mile stretch. The track bar looks SLIGHTLY like barely even bent, which I'm not sure if its designed that way because no paint chips or anything is missing, its smooth and very minimal it feels right. The steering though is very sensitive, I feel EVERY bump, and I can turn the wheel and drive with a single finger. There is virtually no pressure

Hey Dovi82nd,

Thanks for responding to my post and providing me with this information. One last question, do you have any modifications, such as a Mopar lift kit, on your vehicle?
post #12 of 24 Old 02-02-2016, 09:38 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
It's the same thing that is wrong with Jeeps worldwide, it's not something special.
Hey ravenworks,

Without the information I requested above I would have limited information to research a particular customer concern. I apologize if they seem repetitive and appreciate you bringing this to my attention.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-02-2016, 09:49 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Unfortunately most people don't understand all of the ramifications that come when you work for someone in a way that requires public and or internet interaction representative of a company's brand. You MUST follow what your company requires in how you perform the exchange of information... even if he did want to be broader in his approach he can't and if he DOES want to be broader (like most good employees do) that statement kinda hurts some!

I just read what TSB (t)he(y) (the Canadian and US reps) points us to. and file that away as useful information thankfully received.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a hard knock...
post #14 of 24 Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 AM
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

It wasn't my intention to hurt anyone's feelings.
Sometimes things can be impromptu instead of scripted.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #15 of 24 Old 02-02-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Dovi82nd

Quote:
Hey Dovi82nd,

Thanks for responding to my post and providing me with this information. One last question, do you have any modifications, such as a Mopar lift kit, on your vehicle?
The only thing changed are shocks... but after reading many forums, as long as I haven't changed anything pertaining to the issue its still warrantable. I had over a year ago a bad starter that failed and I had a 2" BB and they warrantied the starter since the 2" BB had nothing to do with the starter.

You would know most.. explain this haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.