Death Wobble Help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble Help

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Reply
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 1,995
2.2 Degrees of caster? Seems a little low to me, I believe the low end of the range is 3.5, Im running mine at about 4.2 degrees

__________________
"When i die, bury me with my jeep. Its never been in a hole it can't get out of"
Black Jeep Society
My JEEP helped win a War > Your Honda mows my grass!!
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
Imlay25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
But lets say in a perfext world everything checks out track bar is right, ball joints bearings etc.. could the issue be something as simple as a castor tweak and rebalancing tires.
Imlay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler
 
JTPhoto's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Gillies Ontario
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlay25
But lets say in a perfext world everything checks out track bar is right, ball joints bearings etc.. could the issue be something as simple as a castor tweak and rebalancing tires.
It could be something as simple as too much pressure in the tires. I can't count the times that people have complained of DW, wandering, bumpsteer, shimmies, wobbles, etc etc etc. and it all came down to 40-60 psi in the tires. Because they trusted the "tire guy" who put 50 psi in the tire to set the bead and didn't bother to bring it back down to 26-28psi. The Jeep especially the 2dr is not heavy enough to run those kind of pressures.
__________________
^^Jeff^^
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #19
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville, Kansas
Posts: 4,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto

It could be something as simple as too much pressure in the tires. I can't count the times that people have complained of DW, wandering, bumpsteer, shimmies, wobbles, etc etc etc. and it all came down to 40-60 psi in the tires. Because they trusted the "tire guy" who put 50 psi in the tire to set the bead and didn't bother to bring it back down to 26-28psi. The Jeep especially the 2dr is not heavy enough to run those kind of pressures.
Factory for a Jk is 45psi that's what I've run for the last 82k miles and DW just happened.
__________________
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
ncb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Your mom's house, Colorado
Posts: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher

Factory for a Jk is 45psi that's what I've run for the last 82k miles and DW just happened.
Definitely not 45.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
farmer-dave1
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: kansas
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Factory for a Jk is 45psi that's what I've run for the last 82k miles and DW just happened.
I think it's like 38 check your door jamb sticker.
farmer-dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler
 
JTPhoto's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Gillies Ontario
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Factory for a Jk is 45psi that's what I've run for the last 82k miles and DW just happened.
Better check your door jam for tire specs.. My Unlimited says 35psi for the factory 255/75-18. As you increase tire size you reduce the pressure dependent on load rating..
__________________
^^Jeff^^
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville, Kansas
Posts: 4,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb

Definitely not 45.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer-dave1

I think it's like 38 check your door jamb sticker.
If it dips below 45 my tire pressure sensors go off
__________________
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
ncb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Your mom's house, Colorado
Posts: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher

If it dips below 45 my tire pressure sensors go off
Maybe your tire gauge is out of calibration.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #25
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville, Kansas
Posts: 4,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb

Maybe your tire gauge is out of calibration.
Possibly. But I know for sure it isn't the cause for my DW.
__________________
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #26
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler
 
JTPhoto's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Gillies Ontario
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Possibly. But I know for sure it isn't the cause for my DW.
You are correct not the cause, however, at this point it could very well be what initiates the DW.. Many things can initiate DW but the cause to allow DW to happen is usually some worn parts some where.
As for your TPMS have your dealer adjust it properly to what it is suppose to be 32psi min - 37psi max.

Just for laughs drop the pressure to 32psi and drive a bit, see how it feels.
__________________
^^Jeff^^
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #27
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville, Kansas
Posts: 4,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto

You are correct not the cause, however, at this point it could very well be what initiates the DW.. Many things can initiate DW but the cause to allow DW to happen is usually some worn parts some where.
As for your TPMS have your dealer adjust it properly to what it is suppose to be 32psi min - 37psi max.

Just for laughs drop the pressure to 32psi and drive a bit, see how it feels.
I can't drive it anymore I cut the draglink out of it cause the TRE on the knuckle looked bad.
__________________
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #28
straight-pipe
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Altona, Manitoba
Posts: 113
I had DW too the other day, turns out to be bad tires (wranglers). They balanced fine but under load they were out of round. At work we have a balance machine that also checks the road force so I fugured we check the newer dura-trax tires, one was slightly out of round so I put that one in the back. So I would suggest after getting your jeep back on the road swap rims and tires with someone that doesn't have DW and go for a spin. My front end guy has 30 years experience he did the alignment and took it out on the road and when he came back he said "get those tires off that jeep!" installed different ones, problem solved. I can still feel a slight wobble when I hit a weird bump on the road but it just goes away now instead of continuing on. Set my pressure @35psi.
__________________
94 ZJ 5.2L
07 JK 3.8
straight-pipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #29
brianjw
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hillsboro, Or
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight-pipe
installed different ones, problem solved. I can still feel a slight wobble when I hit a weird bump on the road but it just goes away now instead of continuing on. Set my pressure @35psi.
If you're still getting tire kick and extra wobble when you hit a bump, that DW is probably going to come back unless you find the cause.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #30
ncb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Your mom's house, Colorado
Posts: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw

If you're still getting tire kick and extra wobble when you hit a bump, that DW is probably going to come back unless you find the cause.
I agree. The DW is still in there. The tires were a trigger for DW.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.