Death Wobble Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble Help

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 04-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Imlay25

Death Wobble Help

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler, I have had the dreaded DW problem for awhile now. As always it's in between 45-65 mph and only when going over a divit or uneven terrain on the highway. Unfortunatly I'm a new jeep owner and don't know as much as I should about it, It has a 4" lift with 35's. I have recently taken it to the shop to get it worked on but as always I can blown over at first they replaced the track bar, tie rod ends, did a front end alignement with my castor angle at 2.2degrees and wheel balance. I got the jeep back drove it again and boom the DW reared its ugly head once again. I started doing more research on the subject and found what most people read about it being the track bar, tie rods, etc. The shop told me that they wanted to replace the stock steering stabilizer with a after-market dual steering dampner. Reluctant on the outcome I read that SD aren't gonna help the DW but at this point I figured i'd give it shot. Just got the jeep back today and took a look underneath knowing more about the DW through these forums (which i greatly appreciate) Track bar, tie rod looked great and tight but what I did find right behind where they installed my new Stabilizer the right front sway bar link is very loose and worn, but the left is still tight as ever. Is this a possible reason to the DW I just spent 1500$ in parts with no fix and before I completly bash the shop I use on why after all the work they did they missed something as simple as this, do I have a valid arguement? Could It have been all along that this sway bar link was just out of place and caused the DW in the end. I really do appreciate all the help and insight.

Thanks,
Disgruntled Jeep Owner

Imlay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

NO! as you've read stabilizers are there to slow the back and forth movement, they are not the cause. When I first got DW it was severe enough to destroy a brand new OME stabilizer. Three shops could not find the cause of my DW. I had brand new control arms, track bar, drag link, tie rod and ends installed as part of my lift. Had an old time jeeper take a look. He put the front on jack stands so the tires hung in the air. Then he used a 6ft 2x4 jammed under the tire. When he move the 2x4 up and down it was very clear that I needed new unit bearings and ball joints. They moved so much I was worried that I'd lose a wheel before I could get home.

Again on a rack being pushed or pulled, or one ground cycling the steering back and forth nothing moved, it took the leverage of the 2x4 to find it.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

To answer your other question. No the loose stabilizer links have absolutely nothing to do with DW.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think you asked this on another forum also, but, please read Planman's writeup on DW and check out his items. Also, yes, bad ball joints can be the cause, but are not usually the first place to look. Let us know what you find out.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
farmer-dave1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just started experiencing that in my jeep, it's a unsetteling experience. I'm overdue for new tires so I'm hoping the cause is a tire issue for me. I've got to make it two more weeks before new tires go on. I've rotated the tires and put my spare into use and hopefully that will mediate the issue.
farmer-dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The cause is rarely a tire, well maybe an extreme out of balance one, issue...are you sure it is DW? If you didn't feel like ****ting your pants, it was not DW. Please, read Planmans writeup and see what he has to say....
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
farmer-dave1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I read planman's writeup and I guess the first time it happened it was a real bad shimmy it showed up at 50 mph and I had to slow down to like 30 and it went away, but the last time it happened it was much more severe and I had to slow way down like 10 mph to get out of it. After reading the writeup I realize how damaging that is to the vehicle and I will go out and buy 9/16 bolts and inspect and replace my trac bar bolts. If not full on dw it's obviously getting worse. I have a spare vehicle and will park this until I inspect everything and get new tires.

I'll add this is a stock rubicon unlimited with 53k miles on it.
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

That is a truism....if DW, continued driving will break other parts and it gets expensive. Best to fix right away.
Unread 04-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This was my DW. Track bar was wallowed out to 5/8" and drilling bigger didn't fix it so now I'm to TRE's as the one on the draglink was bad and I cut one off soni mist replace. had to cut it off so it must be replaced.
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Often a wallowed out bracket can be fixed simply by welding two 9/16 washers to the holes and using the proper shouldered bolt.
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer
Often a wallowed out bracket can be fixed simply by welding two 9/16 washers to the holes and using the proper shouldered bolt.
I did that to mine but it didn't help one bit.
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
Imlay25

I know contrary to what most are saying but I had a 2nd Mechanic tell me about the steering dampner after having it replaced i drove back over the area I always had the issue. Not only did I not have it even hint at wobbling but it has taken away the shimmy in most plsces. I know that everyone has been saying its masking the issue ill give it a couple weeks and check back but so far so good.
Imlay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
farmer-dave1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Not to hijack op's thread but I changed one of my track bar bolts out to 9/16 didn't look egged out but I also noticed when I was under the jeep I had a tread serperation going on, been driving over alot of fresh large gravel put down on the country roads and it has really taken a toll on my worn down tires. Rotated that tire out and haven't had issue again. Will switch out other track bar bolt at better weather time and I'm hoping to find grade 8 bolts only able to find grade 5 currently.
Supposedly duratracs in 285/70r17 will be available at sam's on may 1 and trying to hold off and get them there due to saving 50 bucks per tire and getting roadhazard.
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlay25
I know contrary to what most are saying but I had a 2nd Mechanic tell me about the steering dampner after having it replaced i drove back over the area I always had the issue. Not only did I not have it even hint at wobbling but it has taken away the shimmy in most plsces. I know that everyone has been saying its masking the issue ill give it a couple weeks and check back but so far so good.
If the stabilizer fixed your problem it simply was nothing more the shimmies. True DW cannot be cured with a stabilizer.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
If the stabilizer fixed your problem it simply was nothing more the shimmies. True DW cannot be cured with a stabilizer.
quoted for Truth. True DW will happened with brand new stabilizer and destroy it.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.