Death wobble... Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Death wobble... Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
rmillardjr

Death wobble... Help

Ok guys I know there are a dozen threads on here for the death wobble, and I've searched them but need to ask a few questions.
Here goes, I bought my 07' jku about 2 years ago, it was already lifted when I bought it so I don't know the exact lift model, however I know it is a rough country and from what fellow jeepers say it looks to be a 4" kit. So starting about 5 months ago on the highway when I reached the speed of about 60 it would start violently shaking, and would stop when I slowed down to about 50. So for the past 5 months I have not been able to go above 50 on the highway. I first took it into the dealer to have them fix it under the extended warranty I bought, they said it was the steering stabalizer and replaced it with a factory one, all that did was make it worse, it started happening when Doing 40 and wouldn't stop until I stopped the jeep, I had them reinstall the rough country one again. After fighting with them they said that they can't do it because everything on the suspension down to the control arms are aftermarket. Now I don't know if that's true or not because they are not adjustable. Anyway, after Doing a bunch of research I decided to replace the track bar with the jks hd adjustable and also upgrade to rough country dual steering stabalizer. On the way home it still shook, however now it starts at 60 and stops at 57 and is nowhere near as violent. I found the check list that planman made and now am planning on doing the ball joints, my thoughts are that they were getting beat up for 5 months so I should do them. My question is... Is in necessary to do them and what about tie rod ends, and someone told me that I should install adjustable from upper and lower control bars, and also when i put the track bar on i reused the axle mounted drop bracket, is that ok, or ahould i remove it, and also after i installed it the steering wheel is now off center, and yes it is measured on both sides and is center, i want to know if it is ok to just re center it on the drag link or is there aomething else i should check....please help me

rmillardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
rmillardjr

Anyone
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Jonathanjr1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check all the busings on the foront and torque every thing to the factory spec.
Jonathanjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Planman's thread is pretty comprehensive. Print off the thread, make a checklist, go and buy a torque wrench and check all of your torque values for your front steering/suspension - they are in the FAQ. You can inspect your front trackbar mounts for wallowed out mounting holes - which are most likely present due to continued driving around with DW (a big no-no). You can check your ball joints for play - I'd guess that most likely they are bad ('07) so have these done as well. I prefer aftermarket greasable ball joints such as Synergy's.

Within the forum stickies is also a thread on how to align your front end, including centering the steering wheel and setting your toe. I have the AEV ProCal, which can visually indicate when the steering wheel is centered for a proper do-it-yourself alignment at home. Basically just minor adjustments to your tie rod and drag link using a 15mm socket, a set of channel locks or a pipe wrench, and a torque wrench to finish up.

Also note that a properly torqued and tightened JK front end with good ball joints does NOT need the steering stabilizer. You could actually drive around without it if everything was tight and in good condition. The steering stabilizer is a band aid solution that only masks the real problem.

PS: you need to find another dealer, because they are morons apparently. Death Wobble is no mystery, and they should know how to fix it.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Also note that a properly torqued and tightened JK front end with good ball joints does NOT need the steering stabilizer. You could actually drive around without it if everything was tight and in good condition. The steering stabilizer is a band aid solution that only masks the real problem.

PS: you need to find another dealer, because they are morons apparently. Death Wobble is no mystery, and they should know how to fix it.
I want to reinforce that steering stabilizers would only bandaid vibrations. Their purpose is to prevent jarring the steering wheel in sudden changes such as sliding off a rock or hitting something. They are simply 50/50 shocks strapped to your steering. If it fails it might make it harder to turn one way versus the other but never cause vibration.

Unless maybe it came off on one end and was swinging around hitting things

Your dealer must hire the most car illiterate people to even suggest the steering stabilizer fixes ANYTHING.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
rmillardjr

I know that the stabalizer is only a band aid but the one that was on was bad, when I removed it, it was way too easy to push in pull out. When I installed the trac bar I visually checked the frame side and axle side bolt hikes, they didn't seem to be wallowed out. And last night I jacked it up and check the ball joints and tie rod ends with the old push pull test, and they seemed to be fine.
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

If the wobble is speed dependent, it's not death wobble. Odds are you have an out of balance tire or rotor. 52-55 mph is a bad spot for balance problems.

If it were death wobble, you'd have to bring the Jeep down to darn near a stop (under 10mph) to get it to stop.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmillardjr View Post
I know that the stabalizer is only a band aid but the one that was on was bad, when I removed it, it was way too easy to push in pull out. When I installed the trac bar I visually checked the frame side and axle side bolt hikes, they didn't seem to be wallowed out. And last night I jacked it up and check the ball joints and tie rod ends with the old push pull test, and they seemed to be fine.

I would recommend checking the bushings on the trac bar. Even if your holes in the brackets are not worn out...if those bushings have even the slighest wear...you'll get the wobble. Unbolt the trac bar from the axle side first. take the bolt and insert in bushing. If there is even a little play...the trac bar bushing or trac bar needs replaced.
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
rmillardjr

I just installed new jks hd adjustable trac bar this past Sunday In hopes that was it
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I just installed new jks hd adjustable trac bar this past Sunday In hopes that was it

Did it come with a new bolt, or did you reuse the factory one ?
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
rmillardjr

I reused the factory one, but yesterday I picked up two 9/16 bolts and lock nuts, I'm going to install them this weekend. Do you think that could be he answer
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I reused the factory one, but yesterday I picked up two 9/16 bolts and lock nuts, I'm going to install them this weekend. Do you think that could be he answer

IF there is one thing I've learned about death wobble...nothing I think about it is good...lol.

Certainly give the new bolts a shot.
Unread 01-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
rmillardjr

Ok what about the track bar bracket? There was one already in place on the axle, and I left it on, is that ok or should I have removed it?
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
rmillardjr

?
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
ncb

If the control arms are all RC I would check all of the bushings for wear. I remember reading threads in the past about the RC bushings ****ting the bed quickly.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.