Dealer "fixed" a leak. Now it's worse. Pics inside - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Dealer "fixed" a leak. Now it's worse. Pics inside

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Dealer "fixed" a leak. Now it's worse. Pics inside

My JK only has 20,000 miles and oil has started collecting near where the tranny and engine meet. I took it to the dealer and they said I had a leaking driver's side exhaust and valve gasket so I send it in (no loaner ) for 3 days and now, 2 weeks later, it's leaking worse. It looks like it's coming from right between the tranny and engine but the dealer said it wasn't the rear main seal. Any ideas?

In the pic, you can see it's coming down from above the top right bolt.

I was fixing to do an oil change today too, but I hate to put in $35 of oil when I'm not sure what will happen to it when it get;s "fixed" again.

Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Valve cover gasket will give you the drip, the exhaust manifold gasket doesnt seal any fluid cept for any moisture as a result of any internal cumbustion(spell gurus chime in here, thanks) motor. If you change the oil now, it will be the same oil when you pick it up, nothing will happen to it. They will replace two gaskets, both dont need any oil draining.
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

If they took apart the housing to replace the gasket or seal, then a bolt may be partially stripped and allowing oil to slowly leak. Luckily, I don't think that's the case, but rather a less than perfect seal again. There's no drip pattern from higher up (if I'm looking at your photo rightside-up); otherwise I'd say to check higher on the assembly.

How much oil are you burning on a weekly or monthly basis? I've never owned a 4 x 4 that didn't leak a bit: Jeep, Chevy, Ford, and Dodge alike. My cousin's fugly Toyota Tundra (I give him crap for buying Japanese) leaks the worst and it's less than 2 years old.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
If they took apart the housing to replace the gasket or seal, then a bolt may be partially stripped and allowing oil to slowly leak. Luckily, I don't think that's the case, but rather a less than perfect seal again. There's no drip pattern from higher up (if I'm looking at your photo rightside-up); otherwise I'd say to check higher on the assembly.

How much oil are you burning on a weekly or monthly basis? I've never owned a 4 x 4 that didn't leak a bit: Jeep, Chevy, Ford, and Dodge alike. My cousin's fugly Toyota Tundra (I give him crap for buying Japanese) leaks the worst and it's less than 2 years old.
Well it's leaking enough to have a few drops on the bottom of the tranny as seen in the picture. I don't see any in the driveway and the oil level seems unchanged. I'm just afraid of it getting worse down the road. On the other hand, I always hear Jeeps leak no matter what you do...

Is an oil leak ok as long as the fluid levels are within normal levels?
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Oil leaks are not normal, they happen, yes....but maintaining a vehicle is sorta important. Your small leak is fine, I HATE oil leaks. Nothing I have leaks oil, not even my 74 VW Bus....not a drop. My 57 T-bird has a rope seal front pump(transmission) leak, im lazy though....and drive train removal is needed for that.

A 20,000 mile JK oil leak, Not normal. Bring it back, and have them warranty it. What you said they fixed, again, wont effect your oil changing today. So change your oil, and bring it back to them. They fixed a leak, and its still leaking.....if they cant fix it, find a new dealer.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.