Dead-On's 13 JKU Rear Floor Mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Dead-On's 13 JKU Rear Floor Mod

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Dead-On's 13 JKU Rear Floor Mod

So with the seats folded down in stock form the rear is not all that conducive for hauling stuff, sleeping or hauling my dog so changes had to be made.

- It had to be flat.
- It had to be waterproof and easy to clean.
- I wanted to be able to use the rear seats if needed.
- I wanted to be able to store tools, jumper cables and valuables.

At first I was thinking of tearing out the rear seats and all the rugs and bed lining everything. Then build my own floor with storage where the rear seats were. Well after reading that it would be less insulated, noisier and hard to clean that bed liner stuff I decided against it.

Then I came across ronjenx's Under Floor Storage thread... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/u...orage-1216045/

I used his basic design and modified it a bit to fit my needs a little better. I had to change a few things just a bit to fit because my JKU seems to be build a little different than his. Mostly the plastic trim and well area. Plus I changed a few other things to suit my needs.

Disclaimer... I am more about function that fit and finish when it comes to building things.

First I made mine out of wood and painted it with bed liner instead of metal studding. Secondly rug was not for me. I have a dog and I haul my trash weekly to the dump so I needed something that was easy to clean and water/mud proof. So rubber flooring was all me. Third I fastened my frame using four of the six provided D-ring tie downs on the floor of the JKU. I left the two furthest rear tie down D-rings by the tailgate accessible with the floor installed.

The basic look of the floor...

I put trim under the flooring around the edges so it is beveled or bowl shaped to contain any loose dog food, water mud etc...

I put the hinges closer to the rear (15 inches) so I did not have to lift all 30 inches of the lid. I also did not extend the frame around the rear covering the stock floor well and jack area. It is connected to the lid/lift-able floor. I wanted to be able to keep the dog or gear in the vehicle and make it easier to access the tools etc...

Here are two of the D-rings I used to attach the frame to the bed so I did not have to tap into the existing metal. The other two tie downs are under the floor near the rear seats and can't be seen...

Here is one D-ring I installed. There is a matching one on the passenger side of the floor...

Also the 40/60 portion that folds up to use the seats have a wing built on it to utilize all the space. I did not want my dog falling into this void while driving around. Because of this modification to ronjenx's design it will not fold all the way back flat, it hits the wheel well. I am going to attach an elastic strap to the 40/60 portion so it can connect to the head rest while the seats are up...

I also have a four foot 2x10 between the seats (while folded down) to raise the floor a bit. The dog likes the incline while driving. it kinda gives her a little leverage and a perch so to speak. It also allows water, snow and mud to run to the back away from the seats. Plus it's where I put my head when I put the mattress in it to sleep helping elevate my head. I can also take the board out and use it as a seat at camp or in a rut if I'm stuck.

If there are any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Thanks for viewing my CoNfaBuLaTiOn...

Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Very nice and a good DIY project.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.