Daytime Running Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Daytime Running Lights

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Daytime Running Lights

I just modified my JK by programming the daytime running lights "on", with the AEV Procal.

It was easy and it took a fraction of a second to do.

I tried all the configurations, except the parking lights.

High beams on at 1/2 voltage: Too dim to be effective, IMO.

Low beams on at 1/2 voltage: Too dim to be effective, IMO.

Fog lights on at full voltage: Bright enough to be effective.
I say full voltage because I see no brightness difference between DRL fogs, and fogs on with the switch.

The fog lights turn off when the headlights are turned on, (can be relighted with the regular control switch).
On the automatic, the fog lights (DRL) turn off when the transmission is in park.
The fog lights (DRL) turn off when the parking brake is raised.

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I just modified my JK by programming the daytime running lights "on", with the AEV Procal.
How do you like it? I was thinking of doing it too but for some silly reason I think I would be embarrassed for them to be on while running around the desert. I know I can switch back and forth with the ProCal but donít really want too.
Unread 05-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
How do you like it? I was thinking of doing it too but for some silly reason I think I would be embarrassed for them to be on while running around the desert. I know I can switch back and forth with the ProCal but don’t really want too.
Embarrassment for the fogs being on never entered my mind.

I did it mostly to be seen better, and it's the law in Maine to have lights on when windshield wipers are on. Daytime running lights qualify.

I usually forget.
Unread 05-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thats crazy, same law here in Ca.--I just turn my headlights on and the fog lights, if I needem !!

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 04:08 AM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
"it's the law in Maine to have lights on when windshield wipers are on"
Tell me thatís a typo error. Or maybe itís a joke, right?
Unread 05-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did you try the Euro settings for the DRLs? That's what I'm using right now. Headlamps on 100% all the time.

I prefer the standard DRLs but I can't handle it shutting one light off when you turn the turn signal on.

Quote:
Tell me that’s a typo error. Or maybe it’s a joke, right?
What's wrong with that sentence? Makes sense to me, and from what I've seen it's the law in a lot of states...
. .
wTheOnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Tell me thatís a typo error. Or maybe itís a joke, right?
Not a joke. Not just in Maine, either.
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Read #4

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had programmed mine with the AEV to "Euro" daytime running, and ran that way for a while. But then I realized half the time I turned them on by habit anyway, so it was kind of pointless.

Also, I doubt it had anything to do with having DRL turned on, but I guess I should mention in case it does. I never had a bulb burn out in 35k miles, but after having the DRL on for maybe 1k miles, I lost a bulb (burnout). It was probably bound to happen at that mileage, but who knows...
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Most states have laws requiring headlight use in the rain now; not unusual at all.

And DRL regulations include luminous flux as well as aim.
Foglights don't make good DRL; they're good from a conspicuity standpoint but aren't all that focus-friendly to oncoming drivers.

I'd use the lowbeam or running light option; either one is effective for DRL.
And I'd just try to remember to turn on the full headlights in the rain. You could even cobble a relay from the wiper switch to do it automatically if you want.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Most states have laws requiring headlight use in the rain now; not unusual at all.

And DRL regulations include luminous flux as well as aim.
Foglights don't make good DRL; they're good from a conspicuity standpoint but aren't all that focus-friendly to oncoming drivers.

I'd use the lowbeam or running light option; either one is effective for DRL.
And I'd just try to remember to turn on the full headlights in the rain. You could even cobble a relay from the wiper switch to do it automatically if you want.
As with headlights, if the fogs are properly aimed, there will be no conflict with oncoming drivers.

I went with the fogs on the assumption it will be easier and less costly to replace the bulbs when they burn out.

As I wrote in the original post, the low/high beams are quite dim on 1/2 voltage. The Euro setting is full voltage, but I would rather burn out the fog lights, due to being on more often, than a headlight.
Unread 05-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I was informed by the Procal folks that the reason the light goes off when the turn signals are on serves as an additional "attention getter" (safety factor) to oncoming traffic - seeing a light go out gets ones attention and then they hopefully notice the small turn signal blinking, esp when turning left across traffic - not my idea, just passing it along. I don't care because I can't see the headlights when driving anyway...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTheOnew View Post
What's wrong with that sentence? Makes sense to me, and from what I've seen it's the law in a lot of states...
I was just being sarcastic. I guess Iím not up to date on the law regarding DRLís. Actually I couldnít care less.
Unread 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
tturkstra
2008 JK Wrangler 

Up here in Canada, we're required to have DRL. Unfortunately, it was the 1/2 voltage (voltage DC chopped) high beam, which fries your relays when you try to wire better headlights. It was a nuisance for my HID's so I reprogramed with the Procal as well. I went with the Turn signal option. I find it quite noticable and it is legally an option in Canada. With ignition on and lights off, it turns both turn front signal blinkers (bright turn filament, not the running filament) on and then turns them off when a turn the signal is on. When the headlights are on, it goes back to the standard running lights and signals.
Unread 05-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #15
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I have just gotten into the habit of running with my headlights on all the time. Even on a bright sunny day, it makes a difference in visibility. It's so automatic, I don't realize I've done it half the time.

It's so second nature that I often have to be reminded to turn them off when wheeling in daylight, as they have a tendency to bother the guy in front of me.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.