Daystar Upper Dash Panel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Daystar Upper Dash Panel

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Daystar Upper Dash Panel

Well I have had this dash panel since its release.

I am not happy with it AT ALL

I have the MYGIG with navigation and the compass like most JK's

Put a cell phone on the dash panel and the compass goes wacko. The navigation system "loses" you. I would be almost 100 miles away from my actual location. Remove the phone, after a few minutes I am right on target.

OK so I will not put the cell phone up there anymore.

So I started putting change up there, it did the same thing, blocked the GPS antenna and compass and things went wacko again.

Well I put my toll receipts up there now. That works fine now.

Is it worth the 30 bucks paid? Not to me.

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraexplorer
Thanks, if it is that good than I'm sure that they can't sell it in California. Everything else is illegal in this state except the illegalsl
JK_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
mpax9

I got this and I haven't had a need for it at all. Although, ever since installing it my compass is totally out of wack. I have a portable GPS which will read South, while my Jeep will say North. Does anyone know if it is possible that I installed the compass backwards?
mpax9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpax9 View Post
I got this and I haven't had a need for it at all. Although, ever since installing it my compass is totally out of wack. I have a portable GPS which will read South, while my Jeep will say North. Does anyone know if it is possible that I installed the compass backwards?
Yes that is possible,

You can try to set your compass per the manual on page 201 and 202

It is very simple to take it out and re-do the compass module.

Try the compass manual reset

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:
Thanks, if it is that good than I'm sure that they can't sell it in California. Everything else is illegal in this state except the illegalsl
Unread 04-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Shoot-- that sucks. I don't have a compass or mygig, so I have nothing to mess up
My iPhone sits perfectly in the front 'pocket' of the daystar topper. And the back on houses my backup monitor.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

My compass is messed up when my phone is in the front, but not when in the back. change has no effect.
0lllllll0
.....|/\\_|__|---------<=##=>
..... (o)_)-)_)........(o)_))_(o)_))_)
TheGillz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
JeepingJohn

I would buy it if it dident have that UGLY daystar logo plastered on the front of it.
JeepingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingJohn View Post
I would buy it if it dident have that UGLY daystar logo plastered on the front of it.
I second that...I bought it only to notice the HUGE logo as soon as I pulled it out of the box. Wonder if we can sand and repaint them??
6.7 HEMI, ProRock 60's, Atlas 4 speed t-case, on board air, Teraflex long arm plus ACOS, 37 inch Maxxis Trepadors, 5.38 gears, AEV bumper, Custom AEV hood, Warn 9.5, Nemesis aluminum sliders and fenders, Or-Fab front cage, Poly Performance rear cage, Hutchinson Beadlocks, PJ rear bumper, HD Teraflex track bars, tantrum rock lights, woods shafts, corbeau LG-1 seats, Chaser Trailer........TIME TO PLAY!!! Colorado Jeep Club member #177
Brent_f70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
aphazia

Weird. 08 rubi, mygig, lockpick, av cables. no problems keeping my iPhone and my oakleys up there! nav and compasss are good to go!
aphazia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #9
xplosivo1
2011 JK Wrangler 

If you can find a way to line the tray with a metal window screen and ground it somehow, you should be able to correct the interference problem.

I work on nav systems for helicoptors and sometimes that is what we have to do to eliminate EMI (electromagnetic interference). It will most likely work, but you have to make the decision if it is really worth the effort.

X

"I can never again see a UNITED STATES MARINE without experiencing a feeling of reverence." -GEN. JOHNSON, US.ARMY
xplosivo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

My phone does not seem to interfere for some reason...or my sense of direction is horrible. Not sure.

The Daystar logo is not a problem for me. I don't even notice it.
2007 JK Wrangler Unlimited (Black), 4" SuperliftRanchoExpress Lift, 36" Super Swamper Irok's covering 16" ProComp's, AFE CAI, FlowMaster 40 Series, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, Rock Hard line of undercarriage skids, Warn Powerplant, Shrockworks Mid-width front bumper, Dana 44 Front
tx-Skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
Jerry G
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had the same problem with the compass. It would straighten out right away after removing my cell phone - until the last time. My compass was screwed up for 3 weeks reading only NE without the phone up there. One day it started working correctly again. Now the cell goes into the console and the dash panel is pretty useless.
Jerry G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #12
lotecredneck

Mine does the same thing with my Ipod up there, but not with my cell phone.

Tony
lotecredneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplosivo1 View Post
If you can find a way to line the tray with a metal window screen and ground it somehow, you should be able to correct the interference problem.

I work on nav systems for helicoptors and sometimes that is what we have to do to eliminate EMI (electromagnetic interference). It will most likely work, but you have to make the decision if it is really worth the effort.

X
Well I thought of this same thing although I do not believe it would work.

With the mesh it is creating a "Faraday shield" .

So yes it would shield the incoming from the phone or other electronics but it will also block the GPS antenna and compass from doing their job?

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:
Unread 04-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
JeepinMass

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have it and love it. I usually put my sunglasses in the front and my Archos 605 in the back. Works great. I have my GPS mounted someplace else.
Unread 04-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMass View Post
I have it and love it. I usually put my sunglasses in the front and my Archos 605 in the back. Works great. I have my GPS mounted someplace else.
I have the MYGIG which has the GPS antenna under the front part of the dash panel.

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.