Daystar Lower dash panel/switch modification - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Daystar Lower dash panel/switch modification

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
tryingtolearn
2009 JK Wrangler 

Daystar Lower dash panel/switch modification

So I bought the Daystar lower dash panel to mount 4 switches and the outcome was less than "good". Maybe I missed something when I ordered it but there is really no room behind the panel to run the wires without the switches moving from the wire bunch.
Not to mention the shift boot getting in the way.

So I looked around and figured I could mod the Daystar panel to go on the center console.

In the end I think its a much better result so I posted some pics if anyone else is interested in doing the same.

09 JK DAYSTAR Lower Panel Switch Mod

I also added some tips on removing the shift knobs and center console to the write up.
Leverage always beats brute force!! But they both seem to have a lot of threads devoted to them usually involving more work than necessary.

Anyway, just thought Id share in case anyone else wasnt happy with the Daystar panel.

switche_wired.jpg  
tryingtolearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

That's odd. I put the daystar switch panel in my 08 and didn't have any problems other than the shift boot. I fixed that by replacing the boot.
photo326.jpg  
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
tryingtolearn
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thought it was odd myself.
There is a solid bulk of plastic behind my panel so I
Didn't like the uneven look it gave me on the switches and didn't want that style boot.
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

What you did looks great.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have a auto in my 07 but it looks different than yours.
Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

They work much better with the auto, I had it on my 6 speed and when I was in 1st or 3rd it would turn off my lockers. I moved mine over head and like it much better there.
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I had no problems with mine either. I'll admit there is not much room behind so you have to run the wires in ribbon fashion rather then a bundle.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
tryingtolearn
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, my 2nd attempt I used the flag terminals but the bottom connections were still too tight for me, when I engaged the switch it would move and it just bugged me.
Just feel better about the install w/ the connections sitting there passive and not moving. probably just my own little quirks...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.