Daystar JK Hood Wranglers Install Writeup w/Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Daystar JK Hood Wranglers Install Writeup w/Pics

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 12-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

Daystar JK Hood Wranglers Install Writeup w/Pics

Howdy, Y'all

Today I decided to brave the cold and install the Daystar Hood Wranglers I got for Christmas.

I know, I know, someone did a writeup on Webshots, but here at Jeepforum we aren't happy with using crap from another website; we like our own poorly written writeups. (Actually, I think we do a pretty good job around here ) So without further ado, here's mine.

Tools needed:

2 Channel Locks or Vise Grips
2 Phillips Head Screwdrivers
A razor knife

First, open the latches. As you can tell, mine are covered in road grime and a little snow. Here's what we're dealing with:

The Daystar instructions say to remove the nut that's holding the bottom of the latch to the vehicle. Not only is this unnecessary, but it's darn near impossible to fit any kind of wrench in there. See it way in there?

Instead, two pairs of channel locks or vicegrips can be used to free the pin holding to wranglers in place. Some people have said that they had trouble doing this, but I found that if you use a razor knife to cut the plastic part of the pin a little, breaking it becomes much easier.

Insert the razor knife between the wrangler and the mount. Cut in a sawing motion until metallic resistance is fealt. There's a metal pin inside of the plastic. There's no need to cut through this. Don't dull your blade on it either.

Rotate the pin a little each time to cut all the way around it.

Once the plastic part of the pin is cut, breaking is easy with two sets of channel locks, one on each side. Since I'm not three-handed, I could only hold one set while taking the pic Grip firmly and rotate the ends in opposite directions.

Pin removed:

Here's what's left on the Jeep with the OEM wrangler removed:

Now down in the warm basement, the upper part of the latches can have their pins removed. I didn't need to do any cutting for these as there was much more room to work. Same deal as the bottom parts. Two sets of channel locks, twist in opposite directions and break.

The new wranglers install with a screw-together pin. Slide them together and use two screwdrivers to tighten. It's pretty self explanatory. Just make sure that the end of the wrangler that's flattened is towards the bottom bracket. In other words, make sure you're putting the rounded end in the upper latch. Here's a pic assembled:

Back out on the frozen tundra, the wranglers install to the lower bracket with the same type pins as on the top part. Screw them together, but make sure you put the assembly back on the vehicle the right direction. This is the incorrect, backwards way to do it, lol:

Oops! Anyway, it was a quick fix. Just undo the screw and flip the assembly around. No big deal. Another note: don't crank the screws down super tight just yet. It'll make closing the latches the first time a little easier.

Once all the parts are assembled, re-latch the hood. A word of warning: These suckers are tight! It will be a little bit of a wrestling match, but they will close. Over time they'll loosen up a some. Don't forget to tighten up the screws too. Here's the finished product:

All in all it took me about 25 minutes to do, and that was with the picture taking. I haven't driven it yet, but I imagine the hood flutter will be gone for good with as tight as these suckers are. Money well spent, in my opinion! Hope this helps!

tony673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice write-up.

Now, are you going to do another write-up for the summer months?
Unread 12-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the compliment!

Per your request, I've added an addendum to support those of you who wish to do this in the warmer weather. It reads:

"Complete all steps as directed in winter version, but a reduction in clothing worn during procedure is recommended to avoid heatstroke. Attempting this installation while naked is also ill-advised."

That should do it.

tony673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Excellent job...

Thank you for taking the time to do this write up....
Unread 12-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Quentin_T
2008 JK Wrangler 

Definitely post back after a windy day, interested to see how they do.

Nice write up too
Quentin_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
photoomaha
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have been using them for 4 months and there is a huge improvement. I used to be scared to death meeting a Semi on a two lane highway, the hood would flutter so much. Now it barely moves. A fairly inexpensive improvement that actually works really well for me.
photoomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice job
I did mine about 6 months ago and they work great.
I thought the hood was going to bend the first time I latched them
Didn't bend and no more flutter
I'll add this to the F.A.Q. for future reference

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
DANJEEPO8
2008 JK Wrangler 

Was looking for some small inexpensive things to buy for the jeep, and now i'm going to try these on your guy's advice...
Thanks.

Unread 12-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

How are these different from oem hood latches...

Sorry I just don't get it other than the daystar logo
JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
DANJEEPO8
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD140 View Post
How are these different from oem hood latches...

Sorry I just don't get it other than the daystar logo
It's a hard plastic that won't give like the OEM....\\\
Unread 12-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Not really hard plastic, They are actually urethane rather than the softer rubber that comes stock.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #12
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

and they sure do work better...I have had mine on for well over a year and still no hood shake...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #13
redrom01
JCOB-4-LIFE

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
and they sure do work better...I have had mine on for well over a year and still no hood shake...
I'll have to agree with that Ive had mine for two years now and they are still going strong. I think they are a must have if your going to do much highway driving.

______o00o
/__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---l_l__l----[ ]llllll[ ]
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)__

-Current Jeep-
2007 JK Rubi (Steel Blue)
Searching for an MJ

|¯¯l,[___],
l---L--OlllllllO¬
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
redrom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
bluegrassguitar
2011 WK 

OK, then...the hood is not supposed to flop up and down??

Dang, all this time and I thought it was the famous Jeep Wave!!
bluegrassguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #15
bbkoz

I left the bounce. If I time it right, my washer fluid actually sprays the windshield, and doesn't fly over the top like normal.
bbkoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.