Today I decided to brave the cold and install the Daystar Hood Wranglers I got for Christmas.
I know, I know, someone did a writeup on Webshots, but here at Jeepforum we aren't happy with using crap from another website; we like our own poorly written writeups. (Actually, I think we do a pretty good job around here
) So without further ado, here's mine.
2 Channel Locks or Vise Grips
2 Phillips Head Screwdrivers
A razor knife
First, open the latches. As you can tell, mine are covered in road grime and a little snow. Here's what we're dealing with:
The Daystar instructions say to remove the nut that's holding the bottom of the latch to the vehicle. Not only is this unnecessary, but it's darn near impossible to fit any kind of wrench in there. See it way in there?
Instead, two pairs of channel locks or vicegrips can be used to free the pin holding to wranglers in place. Some people have said that they had trouble doing this, but I found that if you use a razor knife to cut the plastic part of the pin a little, breaking it becomes much easier.
Insert the razor knife between the wrangler and the mount. Cut in a sawing motion until metallic resistance is fealt. There's a metal pin inside of the plastic. There's no need to cut through this. Don't dull your blade on it either.
Rotate the pin a little each time to cut all the way around it.
Once the plastic part of the pin is cut, breaking is easy with two sets of channel locks, one on each side. Since I'm not three-handed, I could only hold one set while taking the pic
Grip firmly and rotate the ends in opposite directions.
Here's what's left on the Jeep with the OEM wrangler removed:
Now down in the warm basement, the upper part of the latches can have their pins removed. I didn't need to do any cutting for these as there was much more room to work. Same deal as the bottom parts. Two sets of channel locks, twist in opposite directions and break.
The new wranglers install with a screw-together pin. Slide them together and use two screwdrivers to tighten. It's pretty self explanatory. Just make sure that the end of the wrangler that's flattened is towards the bottom bracket. In other words, make sure you're putting the rounded end in the upper latch. Here's a pic assembled:
Back out on the frozen tundra, the wranglers install to the lower bracket with the same type pins as on the top part. Screw them together, but make sure you put the assembly back on the vehicle the right direction. This is the incorrect, backwards
way to do it, lol:
Anyway, it was a quick fix. Just undo the screw and flip the assembly around. No big deal. Another note: don't crank the screws down super tight just yet. It'll make closing the latches the first time a little easier.
Once all the parts are assembled, re-latch the hood. A word of warning: These suckers are tight! It will be a little bit of a wrestling match, but they will close. Over time they'll loosen up a some. Don't forget to tighten up the screws too. Here's the finished product:
All in all it took me about 25 minutes to do, and that was with the picture taking. I haven't driven it yet, but I imagine the hood flutter will be gone for good with as tight as these suckers are. Money well spent, in my opinion!
Hope this helps!