Let me begin with apologies to the original poster of this idea, over on JK-Forum. This is in no means meant to step on his toes, and I have to give full credit to him for posting this idea first... The original post can be found here: DayStar dash panel mod
I made a few tweaks, and wanted to document the mod a little better for those attempting it.
- Daystar JK Dash Panel
- Bungee Cord variety pack (Bought at Lowe's)
- Black Anti-Slip Drawer Liner (Purchased at Target)
- Rubber Grommets (9/16 OD x 1/4 OD, Lowe's)
- (2) 1/8" Wire Rope Clips (Lowe's)
- (4) 10/24 Nuts with Nylon inserts (Lowe's)
- Spray Glue (I used the 3M Super 77)
- Masking or Electrical tape (to put on drill bit)
- Paper Towels
- Sharp Razor Blade (knife or raw blade)
- straight edge ruler
- Pick Set
- Flat Screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver
- needle nose pliers
- socket set
- Drill and drill bits
1. Here's what I started with:
2. In the Bungee Cord pack you will find this cord, if you are like me, it will be at the bottom of the can, never getting used:
3. Using the needle nose pliers, pull the knot out of the back of the plastic ball...
4. Then cut the knot off the ball.
5. As you can see this is the perfect color and length:
6. Here is the hardware I used:
7. The dimensions for the inserts are as follows:
Bottom Insert: 2" x 5 1/2"
Top Insert: 2" x 8 1/4"
8. Using your straight Edge ruler, cut to the dimensions... I did not glue them at this time, but here is how they look placed in it.
9. The backsplash measurements are as such:
Back Splash: 8 1/4" x 1 3/4"