Daystar Dash Panel Mod - Complete Write-Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Daystar Dash Panel Mod - Complete Write-Up

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 11-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
vjr021
2009 JK Wrangler 

Daystar Dash Panel Mod - Complete Write-Up

Let me begin with apologies to the original poster of this idea, over on JK-Forum. This is in no means meant to step on his toes, and I have to give full credit to him for posting this idea first... The original post can be found here: DayStar dash panel mod

I made a few tweaks, and wanted to document the mod a little better for those attempting it.

Items Needed:
  • Daystar JK Dash Panel
  • Bungee Cord variety pack (Bought at Lowe's)
  • Black Anti-Slip Drawer Liner (Purchased at Target)
  • Rubber Grommets (9/16 OD x 1/4 OD, Lowe's)
  • (2) 1/8" Wire Rope Clips (Lowe's)
  • (4) 10/24 Nuts with Nylon inserts (Lowe's)

Materials Needed:
  • Spray Glue (I used the 3M Super 77)
  • Masking or Electrical tape (to put on drill bit)
  • Paper Towels

Tools Needed:
  • Sharp Razor Blade (knife or raw blade)
  • straight edge ruler
  • Pick Set
  • Flat Screwdriver
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • needle nose pliers
  • socket set
  • lighter
  • Drill and drill bits

Let's Begin:

1. Here's what I started with:

2. In the Bungee Cord pack you will find this cord, if you are like me, it will be at the bottom of the can, never getting used:

3. Using the needle nose pliers, pull the knot out of the back of the plastic ball...

4. Then cut the knot off the ball.

5. As you can see this is the perfect color and length:

6. Here is the hardware I used:

7. The dimensions for the inserts are as follows:
Bottom Insert: 2" x 5 1/2"
Top Insert: 2" x 8 1/4"

8. Using your straight Edge ruler, cut to the dimensions... I did not glue them at this time, but here is how they look placed in it.

9. The backsplash measurements are as such:
Back Splash: 8 1/4" x 1 3/4"

vjr021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Green08

Funny, I have had this for a long time, put the drawer liner on from day one, never thought about the bungy cord. I need to get this on now, this will make this perfect. Thanks...
Green08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
vjr021
2009 JK Wrangler 

there was more to this, but I was cut-off before I could finish it.
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
vjr021
2009 JK Wrangler 

10. I used the width of my small ruler and went in 1" on either side, marking the location with a straight pick.

11. Using your tape, section off the drill bit (I used a small one to start and went up to 5/8" for final hole) This is to prevent you drilling through the back of the back splash, which will really piss you off!!!

12. Result:

13. Now work the rubber grommet into the holes, be sure to check the back, sometimes the edges get bunched up, this will cause the grommet to not lay correctly. Here's how it looked:

For me, this was the biggest change, as I could not locate the grommets SJG used, and I thought the black rubber looked better, IMHO

13. Pull the bungee through one of the holes, and lightly singe the ends with a lighter, this is to prevent them from falling apart.

14. With the rope clamps, I threw out the included nuts and went with the nylon inserted ones, this is to prevent the nuts from loosening up due to use and vibrations later one.

The fitment is tight, but they will go on, you might not be able to use your sockets to fully tighten them down, I had to use my pliers at the end.

Unread 11-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
vjr021
2009 JK Wrangler 

15. This si the tricky part... You have to pull some tension in the cord when clamping on the other side... this will allow you to clamp the cord about 1.5 inches out from the hole, giving you some room to work. When you let the tension out of the cord, it will spring back and suck the clamp in the space...

16. Next I laid out some paper towels and sprayed one side of the liners. Let dry for about 15 seconds, then place on the panel.

17. DONE!!

18. Follow the install instructions Daystar provided and here is the result:

Before:

After:

Unread 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to have to do this! My Daystar Dash panel looks like CRAP it's so old. Did they fix the bend at the bottom of it? Looks like it's not there anymore.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

I like it but I think I might of just tied knots in the bungee instead of all the hardware.
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

does this sit on top of that existing center piece or do you have to remove it and insert the new one?
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #9
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
I like it but I think I might of just tied knots in the bungee instead of all the hardware.
I was thinking the same thing, but I think he did that because it would be somewhat hard to get the knot in the right spot. I'm going to run wires through mine so I can hook my MP3 or phone to it =)
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #10
cj-ing-rj
1974 CJ5 

Good call on the bungee. Do you have the compass option in your JK? If so did you still attached the module to the bottom side of the Daystar dash or did you need to relocate that???
cj-ing-rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Maybe I'm an idiot....but what do you hold with the bungee?

Great finish work
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
echo1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Maybe I'm an idiot....but what do you hold with the bungee?

Great finish work
A phone comes to mind. Something like the iPhone propped up letting you see a map or what have you.
echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #13
Butterbuddha
Fix it till its Broke!

2010 JK Wrangler 

The knots will hold just fine, ask any kayaker
Unread 11-30-2010, 01:57 AM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I think you did an excellent job. Look fantastic.
Unread 11-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #15
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Great work!! I did the same thing minus the grommets. The grommets make it cleaner looking, I might have to grab some. I did just tie a couple knots in the bungee, works fine. I also added a couple led lights to get a bit of light up front.

Tags
daystar dash tray , diy , JK Wrangler , modified daystar dash , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.