Daniel Stern Lighting for my JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Daniel Stern Lighting for my JK

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Daniel Stern Lighting for my JK

Well, I put a crowbar in my wallet and spent the money on a pair of Cibie 7" headlamps, a pair of 75/65 Osram bulbs and a Daniel Stern lighting harness. Total was about $350 (with shipping). Came in two packages - one arrived in 2 days (USPS) and the other arrived in about 6 days (also USPS). Total time to install was about 75 minutes. It's still daylight, so I have not had a chance to test them out and see what kind of improvement they provide (or to adjust/aim them appropriately). In the meantime - here are some comments:

a). Pre-sales tech support was awesome. In-depth and thorough answers to my stupid questions were provided without any hint of...I dunno what the world I want is - but I felt like I got personal and friendly service. A+.

b). Items mailed promptly and order was correct. A+.

c). On the wiring harness - I dunno what EXACTLY I was expecting in terms of the harness. I figured it would be high quality since it cost about $125. I was really tempted to skip this and make it myself - which I could have done a lot cheaper for sure - but it sure was nice to have something ready to use right out of the box. Quality exceeded expectations too. Nice work, and long enough to do the job without being a pain in the *** due to being a few inches short. Overall, A+.

d). The install was not very complicated and took about 75 minutes. I took my time and wasn't in a big hurry. No real big problems with the install either. I did waste about 20 minutes trying to run the wiring for the driver's side light through the front of the Jeep - near the grill. I couldn't get it through some tight spaces though and gave up - and ran the wiring across the firewall and them up the driver's side to the light. After I did this, it occurred to me that is probably what he intended - but the instructions didn't specify. Also, I didn't bother to mount the relays to the firewall - they're just sort of stuffed behind the battery. I will mount them properly in the near future when I am doing some other electrical work in that area.

e). It was a REALLY tight fit getting my Rugged Ridge Euroguards (2007-2008 Jeep Wrangler - Rugged Ridge Headlight Guard) installed on these Cibie units. I did get them on, but I'm not entirely satisfied with the fit. I'm concerned that they may negatively impact the adjustment process too. I guess we'll see - but I may end up taking them back off. Just an FYI.

I guess that's about it. I am looking forward to darkness so I can try them out. I have big expectations for an improvement in my lighting - I hope I am not disappointed.

cibie_web_4.jpg   cibie_web_1.jpg   cibie_web_2.jpg   cibie_web_3.jpg  

Last edited by waterboarder; 09-15-2009 at 05:52 PM..
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Menard666

I bought the exact same kit as you, the same bulbs as well which is what Dan recommended. I am still waiting for them to arrive (I'm in Canada), but am glad to hear you are happy with the quality of the products. I would like to hear what you think of them after you've driven at night.
Menard666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've been using the Cibie lamps for years - first on my old '76 F150 and now my TJ. They are nothing short of spectacular and it makes me wish my daily driver (Dodge Stratus) had good old fashioned round lights (or at least rectangular ones) instead of the crappy, underperforming aero lamps so I could upgrade the darn things easily and safely. Also, I agree that Daniel is great to deal with and will work hard to earn your business - he's who outfitted me with my lamps for the TJ.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Initial Impressions
Big difference! With the stock lights, it was absolutely necessary to have the fog lights on with the low beams, in order to see anything at all - and the high beams were completely useless (so I never used them).

With the new lights, the low beams are awesome! No longer necessary to use the fog lights - and in fact - they don't add much new light. The high beams now DO SOMETHING and it is actually possible to see. No longer need to use my PIAA lights as high beams - and in fact - they add very little new light - just more fill off to the sides.

I still need to fine-tune the adjustment on the lamps (which is up/down only, no left/right), but so far, I can see a big difference.
Unread 09-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
edwin907

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Initial Impressions
Big difference! With the stock lights, it was absolutely necessary to have the fog lights on with the low beams, in order to see anything at all - and the high beams were completely useless (so I never used them).

With the new lights, the low beams are awesome! No longer necessary to use the fog lights - and in fact - they don't add much new light. The high beams now DO SOMETHING and it is actually possible to see. No longer need to use my PIAA lights as high beams - and in fact - they add very little new light - just more fill off to the sides.
A while back I made the same upgrade with the Susquehanna harness and DS's Cibies. And I made the exact same comments!
It's the best money you will spend on your Jeep!
08 Silv Rubicon 6 sp, 20% Side/50% Fr Tint, OME HD 616/618 Spring/Shock, Full Traction Trackbar/Control Arm, JE REEL 1310/1350 Shaft, Hutchinson Rim, Crown Br Lin, 35" Toyo MT, FabFour F/R Bump, Teraflex Slider, ARB Diff Cov, Warn M8000, Powertank CO2, SC Flashpaq, Galaxy DX939/Cooltec/3' Firestick/IC-92AD/Larsen 2-70/IC-F60, KC Slim 6"/Rally 8", Tuffy Console/Govebox Insert, Rock Krawler Tie Rod/Drag Link, Cibie HeadLight, Volant SS Exhaust, Rock Hard Skid, Teraflex SS, AEM Intake
edwin907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
naplesrubicon
2008 JK Wrangler 

wow i might be wrong but i think someone may have left some extra soap up there in alaska from the exxon oil spill try and snatch a little for that rig of yours ....jokes aside nice lights
warranty issues so far: replaced mygig,replaced amp
replaced front right u-joint replaced throw out bearing fixed leak in t-case fixed door latches
-------------------------------

mods so far:
mopar heated seats, mopar slush mats, mopar door visors and bug shield, gentex self dimming rearview mirror with map lights,add on factory footwell lights and underhood light, bestop black spare tire cover, silverstar headlight and fog bulbs, amsoil fluids and filters, 20% tint on front doors, flat black painted antenna, front and rear grab handles, mopar freedom top bag, homemade CAI, magnaflow muffler, drilled mirrors, mopar factory keyed locking gas cap, prestone antifreeze flush kit, mopar black plastic door sill protectors,gloss black painted keyholes,black painted(inside)hardtop,coastaltech mic. TO BE CONTINUED
naplesrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naplesrubicon View Post
wow i might be wrong but i think someone may have left some extra soap up there in alaska from the exxon oil spill try and snatch a little for that rig of yours ....jokes aside nice lights
Huh???????
Unread 09-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

He is saying your Jeep is dirty.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBTJ View Post
He is saying your Jeep is dirty.
Oh. Well, that's what happens when a vehicle is driven. Not everyone can afford to have a driveway trophy.
Unread 09-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks great T-dog. Might have to try this one myself!!!
6.7 HEMI, ProRock 60's, Atlas 4 speed t-case, on board air, Teraflex long arm plus ACOS, 37 inch Maxxis Trepadors, 5.38 gears, AEV bumper, Custom AEV hood, Warn 9.5, Nemesis aluminum sliders and fenders, Or-Fab front cage, Poly Performance rear cage, Hutchinson Beadlocks, PJ rear bumper, HD Teraflex track bars, tantrum rock lights, woods shafts, corbeau LG-1 seats, Chaser Trailer........TIME TO PLAY!!! Colorado Jeep Club member #177
Brent_f70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_f70 View Post
Looks great T-dog. Might have to try this one myself!!!
Thanks (:

I got these installed in time for my upcoming road trip (leave tomorrow afternoon/evening). Going to Denali National Park (finally won the road lottery). I'm sure I'll have a more thorough lighting report by the time I am done with that trip (:
Unread 09-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
FlyingJeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

I want to do that same light upgrade... I've heard nothing but GREAT things about it.

Previous Jeeps:
--1998 TJ Sport 4.0L - Gunmetal Blue '01-'09
--1997 TJ S 2.5L - Lapis Blue '96-'00
--1975 Jeep Wagoneer - Blue '93-'95'
FlyingJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
jimmyzwheelz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzJeep View Post
I want to do that same light upgrade... I've heard nothing but GREAT things about it.
Nice, thorough write-up...thanks! I'll be interested in your comments after your road trip.

The only detail missing...where did you buy the kit?

Thanks again...

Jimmy
jimmyzwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzwheelz View Post
Nice, thorough write-up...thanks! I'll be interested in your comments after your road trip.

The only detail missing...where did you buy the kit?
Sorry. I thought everyone knew (: The topic of this thread is "Daniel Stern Lighting for my JK". I got it from Daniel Stern Lighting (http://www.danielsternlighting.com). (:

I took it for another spin last night and have some additional comments.

a). I think that this is the first time in my life I have driven ANYTHING at night and felt like I had adequate lighting, without using fog lights and/or aux driving lights. It's such a huge, huge difference.

b). My very expensive PIAA driving lights are now basically worthless. With these Cibies installed, the PIAAs make virtually no difference in the lighting, whether I have the high beams or the low beams on. It is only a very, very slight difference with the PIAAs on, and not enough to really make much difference. That's my first impression - I'll have more time to look at this on my road trip, where I will experience some truly dark roads.

I guess that's it. (:
Unread 09-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
jimmyzwheelz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post

b). My very expensive PIAA driving lights are now basically worthless. (:
I wouldn't say that they are worthless. At least they look cool as heck mounted on the AEV bumper! Very nice setup indeed!!

Oh, thanks for the link to Daniel Stern. I'll go check 'em out!

Jimmy
jimmyzwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.