dang rattling trany - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > dang rattling trany

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
bayoumade
2011 JK Wrangler 

dang rattling trany

Has anyone here with any model jeep wrangler have a history of a rattling noise coming from the transmission poss. that stops when u touch the clutch pedal?? Ive read threads on this issue and seen that it occurs randomly across many year models. Ive had a new throw out bearing and pilot bearing put in under warranty at dealer got it back it was louder than ever. So ive taken it back. The mech is saying I need a new clutch that there is too much end play between the clutch and the bearings i guess? weeellll this crap started at less than 30,000 miles. I doubt if the clutch was worn then lilke it maybe now at 50+ thousand. I've never had any clutch symptoms like slipping, or not shifting of loss of pedal. so i dont believe a properly designed trans. needs to keep a fat clutch just to make the damn bearings or what ever not rattle. Not to mention the freaking clutch costs 300. and the two bearings they say they need to replace cost 22.!!
Im not and can not pay that and all I want is the noise fixed!!has anyone else had this problem and had it successfully fixed? because ive also read where people had it repaired and it just came back. Also when the clutch pedal is pushed in and also when it comes back up it makes a loud creaking noise that is audible both inside and outside of the vehicle. any ideas??? Thank u

bayoumade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

kind of like this? I took my jeep to the dealership several times and was told there wasnt any problems and that it was normal. IThis wasn't a light rattle. I could easily here it when in a drive thru or parked. It would go away if i pressed in the clutch or rested my hand on the gear shifter.

Last edited by JLC08JK; 07-03-2014 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Fix youtube embed
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

Exactly the noise mine makes at ilde, i thought it was the head at first but when i push the clutch in and rev it, its dead quite. I hear its normal for these ****boxes of a transmission. Im taking mine in soon to see what they say about it. Other than that its not no noise driving and shifts fine most of the time lol, sometimes 3rd and 5th scratch a little. Nature of the beast i guess, 32k and no break downs yet.
rubicon17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

My 05 TJ did the exact same thing, never had a problem. Gotten used to it by now so the 13 it doesn't bother me.

Anyone I've heard of taking it to a shop/dealer is told normal or is sold on a ton of work that doesn't fix it. It's simply the design of the transmission.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Lammy

2014 JK Wrangler 

One of the many reasons I traded my 6speed in for an auto. JK's cost way too much money for a rattling transmission.
Lammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
bayoumade
2011 JK Wrangler 

Rattle

I do not believe for one min. This racket is normal! It sounds like a washing machine full of nuts and bolts. Yes very similar to the you tube video here only its not as muffled. Its more metallic. Its ridiculous. And so far ive taken it to two different jeep dealers and both say its the throw out bearing. I wish i had 300$ for a clutch to prove them wrong. But at least i havent gotten a "oh thats normal" bs yet. Im probably going to call corp. line. Its bs. Thanks guys.
Unread 07-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I argued for days with them over this finally said fudge it. It's bound to eff up before the warranty expires. Then, I'll,well my dad since he currently owns that jeep tell them : nana-nana, boo-boo, stick your head in doo-doo
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
bayoumade
2011 JK Wrangler 

Unfortunantly dont let them tell u its covered under drive train warranty. Cause i was told that. 5yr or 50,000. Not. Its covered under the original 3 yr 30,000. But they are still covering it under a good will warranty cause of the misinfo. Regardless they are trying to say its the throw out bearing. They replaced it. Still rattles. Now they trying to say the clutch is so worn that theres too much play between the parts. Cough BS! Well. Id buy into that if the noise had just started. I have 53,000 on it. But the noise started back when it was only 21,000 or so. So now theyre trying to force me to pay 300$ for a damn clutch i dont need. Claiming the noise will then stop. Well f them. Im going to get an after market clutch kit put in for less and i bet that will stop it. Mopar parts and chrysler design is the damn problem. Thy both suck. And this is my 2nd wrangler w stupid design problems. Like a 98 4 cyl. With a managold that constantly sheared the manifold bolt off inside the block and ran around w a loud exhaust leak. No fix. Nature of that manifold. Yeah nature of mopar.
Unread 07-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'd pay the $300 for the clutch with the condition of no money if it doesn't fix it.
number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
bayoumade
2011 JK Wrangler 

The 300 is for the part only. But the clutch isnt slipping or anything. The labor is covered under the warranty for the throw out bearing problem. I say its not the clutch because the noise has been around since before clutch had hardly any wear. So my issue is i throw 300$ at this problem needlessly. Im out the $ whether it stops the noise or not if i do that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.