Dana 35 vs. Dana 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 35 vs. Dana 44

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-11-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
bperrypa

Dana 35 vs. Dana 44

A question for the saavy please. What would be the difference (capability) of the Dana 35 vs. the Dana 44 axle. I've got a Sahara ordered, not built yet (BX) and am wondering if its worthwhile to make amendment to the build spec to include a tow package. Is more, better ?? I want to offroad, not necessarily rock crawl, and am not planning to tow.. Is the upgrade significant ?

Thanks for info/help

bperrypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The D44 is probably THE most important option to get from the factory if you plan to wheel it at all. Unless you plan on swapping out an even tougher axle down the road, the D35 is not the way to go.

It remains to be seen how the new and improved D35 is, but on the TJ it was weak. With a D35 you would generally be limited to 31s or smaller, and no locker. Sure there are lots of people running a locker and 33s, but it is just a ticking time bomb IMO.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

its worth it to get the Dana 44 from the factory, if you want to get it down the road, its going to cost you a lot more money that it would have initially.

the 35 was the weak link in TJs when going bigger

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
doojer

I never plan on towing much, but I knew if I was planning on wheeling my Sahara (which I was) I'd want the Dana 44.

Is the difference between the D30 fronts in our Saharas and the D44 front in the Rubi just as significant? I kind of assumed that since I wouldn't be lifting my JK, I wouldn't really need the D44... at what point does the stronger front axle become a major factor?
[B][URL="http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9"]2007 JK Unlimited Sahara[/URL][/B] - [COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Jeep Green[/B][/COLOR], Auto, 4:10, D30 front/D44 rear, RockCrusher Diff Covers
doojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
neZZr

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doojer
Is the difference between the D30 fronts in our Saharas and the D44 front in the Rubi just as significant? I kind of assumed that since I wouldn't be lifting my JK, I wouldn't really need the D44... at what point does the stronger front axle become a major factor?
On a TJ, the only real difference is the ring/pinion. The shafts and everything else are the same. I believe this is true for the JK as well, but I don't know for sure. The front axle should be good to 35" tires for either the D30 or D44. Upgrading to chromoly shafts will give a little insurance.

On the JK the axles have been improved over the TJ axles, so I'd say that the D30 should be just fine unless you plan to go 37" or larger. Any bigger and you wouldn't want any of the stock axles IMO. Few people have really tested them out with large tires yet to know for sure.

I'll be Savvy someday!
Unread 12-11-2006, 11:24 PM   #6
Karamba

Quote:
at what point does the stronger front axle become a major factor?
At the moment you engage a front locker.

With Sahara you get a fairly capable electronic limited slip, and in your shoes I would skip the mechanical limited slip in the rear and upgrade later to a selectable locker in the 44 if you find that you need it. Apparently many folks are finding out that the electronic stuff goes quite far, with a rear selecable you should be fine for a lot of stuff.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 04:01 AM   #7
JoiseyJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bperrypa
A question for the saavy please. What would be the difference (capability) of the Dana 35 vs. the Dana 44 axle. I've got a Sahara ordered, not built yet (BX) and am wondering if its worthwhile to make amendment to the build spec to include a tow package. Is more, better ?? I want to offroad, not necessarily rock crawl, and am not planning to tow.. Is the upgrade significant ?

Thanks for info/help
I thought all Sahara's had the D44 and that the tow package just gave you 4.10 gears in the rear? Maybe just the Unlimited's?
07JK Sahara Rescue Green
JoiseyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #8
doojer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
At the moment you engage a front locker.

With Sahara you get a fairly capable electronic limited slip, and in your shoes I would skip the mechanical limited slip in the rear and upgrade later to a selectable locker in the 44 if you find that you need it. Apparently many folks are finding out that the electronic stuff goes quite far, with a rear selecable you should be fine for a lot of stuff.
Thanks. I actually did skip the LSD rear so that I could add a true locker down the line. I was hoping to lock the front eventually, too... in another thread I was told that my D30 should be able to handle a locker alright. What is the danger of running a locker on my D30? Would upgrading my shafts eliminate that danger?

I appreciate the info!
[B][URL="http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9"]2007 JK Unlimited Sahara[/URL][/B] - [COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Jeep Green[/B][/COLOR], Auto, 4:10, D30 front/D44 rear, RockCrusher Diff Covers
doojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #9
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Does anybody actually know exactly how and what Jeep did to beef up the new D35 and D44 axles? I've heard both are now stronger than their TJ counter parts but I've not heard anything beyond that. For instance, does anybody know:

Torque strenth ratings for the old and new axles?
Axle shaft diameter?
The specific "upgarded" areas of the new axles?

Not trying to be a smart ***, just trying to figure out what it was that was upgarded on the new axles.
Unread 12-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
Karamba

Quote:
What is the danger of running a locker on my D30?
It will be easier to break, but obviously your mileage may vary. I would not bother with a front locker unless your trails are not passable with just a rear one and the electronic limited slip... And that does cover quite a lot of trails.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
Does anybody actually know exactly how and what Jeep did to beef up the new D35 and D44 axles? I've heard both are now stronger than their TJ counter parts but I've not heard anything beyond that. For instance, does anybody know:

Torque strenth ratings for the old and new axles?
Axle shaft diameter?
The specific "upgarded" areas of the new axles?

Not trying to be a smart ***, just trying to figure out what it was that was upgarded on the new axles.
It was either (or both) Peterson's 4 Wheel and Off-Road and/or JP Magazine that gave specifics on the axles a few months ago.

Here's what I remember (sorry for the lack of numerical data):
  • Front axles are now high pinion, both the D30 and the D44
  • Rubi D44 axles are 32 spline - I'm not sure if non-Rubi models get the 32 spline rear or not.
  • D44 has a larger ring gear (maybe the D35 too, but I'm not positive)
I'll try to locate the article or some better data, because I can see this is not really helping much.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #12
neZZr

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
It was either (or both) Peterson's 4 Wheel and Off-Road and/or JP Magazine that gave specifics on the axles a few months ago.

Here's what I remember (sorry for the lack of numerical data):
  • Front axles are now high pinion, both the D30 and the D44
  • Rubi D44 axles are 32 spline - I'm not sure if non-Rubi models get the 32 spline rear or not.
  • D44 has a larger ring gear (maybe the D35 too, but I'm not positive)
I'll try to locate the article or some better data, because I can see this is not really helping much.
Larger ring gear??? How can they change that and still call it a 44?

I'll be Savvy someday!
Unread 12-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #13
XJ2Timer

4 Wheel & Off Road April 2006.
Dana 35 is now a non C clip captive bearing style with stronger shafts, strengthened tubes and bigger pinion and pinion bearings. Front Dana 30 has bigger pinion and pinion bearings and bigger axle joints and stub shafts and also features a captive unit bearing so the stub shaft can be removed if needed. Rubicon's front Dana 44 is now a reverse pinion design, has stronger tubes, a bigger pinion shaft and bearings, bigger 1350 series U joints, better axles and a captive unit bearing. The rear Dana 44 features bigger pinion bearings and pinion, a larger ring gear by 10mm, bigger tubes and 32 spline 1.4 inch axleshafts.
Unread 12-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #14
bperrypa

Talk about good/bad timing.. I call today to get the tow package added (for the axle) and I'm a day too late.. I'm now in 'D' mode. Ready to build and no changes.. it was "Yippee!....no, aw damn..." LOL. Build first week Jan.. Delivery late January.
bperrypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #15
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr
Larger ring gear??? How can they change that and still call it a 44?
I agree - Dana should have renamed the axles since there were so many changes made.

I can only imagine the complications this will cause for driveline shops/gear vendors. Its crazy how many D44 variations there are.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.