Damp carpet without rain, help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Damp carpet without rain, help!

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
CMcKillen
2009 JK Wrangler 

Damp carpet without rain, help!

I just bought my first Jeep in mid December 2012; I noticed that the carpeting was damp on the driver and passenger sides of the vehicle but attributed to the snow. I gave it time and all the snow has melted and my area has had a dry spell (about a week and a half). I checked today and my carpets are still wet (border-line soaked). What should I look for that could be causing this/ a solution. I'm just paranoid that the constant dampness is going to rust-out my bottom prematurely.

Specs:
Wrangler 2009 Sport X, 6-speed, freedom-top

CMcKillen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The mildew would be a bigger concern. Find the leak then work on fixing it. Have someone else spray with a hose while your inside looking and feeling for the leak. If you don't have access to a hose go to a manual car wash. Probably a damaged seal on the hard top panels.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was thinking AC condenser but seeing as you are in NY at this time of the year, I guess no?
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Possible if he's running the AC compressor with the heater to defrost the windows from all the moisture.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

Mine are damp also. Thought they got wet and the rubber floormats keep it soaked. Lifted the carpet and the white pad holds the moisture the most. Going to let it stay up for a week and check to see if it drys up some.

Did see it rain a few weeks ago when I had the hardtop on, and see it dripping from the forward top corner of the passenger door. Rain was blowing from that direction.

Thinking about rino-lining it, like some of the others have done.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Jeep are water tight like the 50 year old aluminum boat.

Mine leaks. I've given up. I put truck bed liner and ripped out carpet. Look around the corners near the front mostly comes in around the very top left of door. On passenger right top corner. Also look around B pillar if soft top. Rear tailgate soft top or hard top. Also with soft top you'll get water come through the Velcro at top of side window. Hard top where the front panels meet the rear along the seam.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

I keep a spray bottle of mold/mildew preventer handy and spray the carpet and seats down often. I also run with all drain plugs removed and doorless often so the moisture doesn't bother me. No mold or mildew.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

................Depends...........................

Sorry that isn't very helpful. You could try running a dehumidifier inside or leaving some dessicant inside to dry it out. Check the drain plugs and make sure they are installed.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
carpet , help needed , wet driver's side floor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.