Dam i figured out why my jeep cant have 2.8diesel arrrgh - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Dam i figured out why my jeep cant have 2.8diesel arrrgh

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 08-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #16
newguy66

2008 JK Wrangler 

No redesign of the 2.8L.

Thanks for the info Ghostship.I kinda knew deep down that the JK was not going to see a diesel anytime soon.That sucks big time!!! Oh well, I'll wait and see what the 2007 Grand Cherokee CRD looks like.

newguy66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #17
pbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy66
We already have ULSD and all grades of Bio Diesel here in North West Florida.What do you mean by......''That's why you won't be able to get one until October.''
You may have it, but I don't (Omaha, NE). I don't think the EPA will let them sell the diesels without universal availability of the appropriate fuel - the new MB 3.0L CRD is specifically designed to run on diesel with sulfur content of 50ppm or less (the european standard), and a fuel with too much sulfur will destroy the engine and/or the emissions equipment.
Unread 08-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #18
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
Your the tard that said you already ordered one.

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #19
MT3Geiger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

2" BB, 1" BL, 33x12.5x16 Boggers, Cobra 75, KC 130W slimlights, OR Fab Rock Doors, and some poison spyder diff guards
MT3Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2006, 05:46 PM   #20
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostship
Yes, that date is NEVER. DC has already announced that it is not economically feasible to redesign the 2.8L CRD to make it compliant with 2007 EPA reg's, much less for the 2008 changes and beyond. That's why they are no longer using that engine in the Liberty, and why it's only used in the JK for export only.

DC has not announced the 3.0L CRD for the JK, nor have they announced a Flex Fuel Engine option for it. Any post to the contrary is pure speculation at this point.
Add to the internet buzz the fact that Cummins has officially announced a long term deal to provide a complete line-up of light duty diesel engines for passenger cars, light trucks and SUVs to a major U.S. auto company. They have not said who yet, but industry speculation is on Chrysler considering that they already have ties to Cummins.

Diesel passenger vehicles powered by blended or full biomass fuel is an ideal long overdue in the United States. I don't buy the auto press myth that American car buyers are fearful of diesels because of the crummy GM models in the early 1980s. Hell, many current car buyers weren't even driving back then much less had any experience with the stinky Olds and Caddy smokers. Biodiesel is probably the very best stepping stone that we can use on our path away from fossil fuel and internal combustion.
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBA
Add to the internet buzz the fact that Cummins has officially announced a long term deal to provide a complete line-up of light duty diesel engines for passenger cars, light trucks and SUVs to a major U.S. auto company. They have not said who yet, but industry speculation is on Chrysler considering that they already have ties to Cummins.

Diesel passenger vehicles powered by blended or full biomass fuel is an ideal long overdue in the United States. I don't buy the auto press myth that American car buyers are fearful of diesels because of the crummy GM models in the early 1980s. Hell, many current car buyers weren't even driving back then much less had any experience with the stinky Olds and Caddy smokers. Biodiesel is probably the very best stepping stone that we can use on our path away from fossil fuel and internal combustion.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a lot of talk a year or so ago that Ford would be using Cummins in a F150 model. They do own a great deal of the company.
Unread 08-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #22
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a lot of talk a year or so ago that Ford would be using Cummins in a F150 model. They do own a great deal of the company.
That never made it past rumor stage. There was a small Navstar (V6?) diesel in the works for the F150, but that went by the wayside for some reason. Probably too much estrogen content from the marketing department.
Ford had some interest in Cummins years ago, but by the late 1990s Cummins purchased all that stock back, so the Blue Oval doesn't have any ownership of Cummins.

Now if they could get CAT to talk to them........
Unread 08-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #23
pbrutsch

Quote:
Caterpillar doesn't have any interest in automotive diesels. The smallest vehicle you can get a CAT in is a Ford F650 or the Chevy/GM equivalent
Unread 08-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #24
newguy66

2008 JK Wrangler 

Toyota and CAT?

I read that Toyota was considering a diesel powered Tundra.Engine of choice is
the smaller CAT.
Unread 08-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #25
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrutsch
Caterpillar doesn't have any interest in automotive diesels. The smallest vehicle you can get a CAT in is a Ford F650 or the Chevy/GM equivalent

CAT has had some nifty small marine and industrial diesels over the years that could fit in automotive applications.

It's too bad that they won't throw a hat in the ring - competition is good.
Unread 08-08-2006, 08:34 AM   #26
tolnep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy66
I read that Toyota was considering a diesel powered Tundra.Engine of choice is
the smaller CAT.
i've heard toyota tundra rumors too. not about cat though. in the tacoma world there is a huge desire to see a diesel 4x4. bring back the hilux etc.

if toyota puts a diesel in their larger truck they will start finally to chew away at the one market no foreign automaker has attempted. the larger worktruck.

if they throw in a diesel tocoma they wont be able to keep them on the showroom floors.

i would expect to see a diesel in wranglers at some point.. if for no other reason to just compete with other manufacturers.
tolnep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #27
newguy66

2008 JK Wrangler 

diesel tocoma.

Never thought of that,a diesel powered Toyota Tocoma.Or a diesel powered Nissan
Titan,Frontire,Pathfinder and Xterra.I hope it does not happen anytime soon.I would be a crushing blow to the BIG 3.
Unread 08-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #28
zband
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That never made it past rumor stage. There was a small Navstar (V6?) diesel in the works for the F150, but that went by the wayside for some reason. Probably too much estrogen content from the marketing department.
Ford had some interest in Cummins years ago, but by the late 1990s Cummins purchased all that stock back, so the Blue Oval doesn't have any ownership of Cummins.

Actually that deal just went to Dodge. Apparently Cummins is going to be supplying Dodge with their new smaller, diesel engine. The specs look good, from the article ...

"....4.2-liter V6 that will develop 190 horsepower and a mighty 455 ft-lbs. of torque. The second is a larger 5.6-liter V8 that will generate 260 horsepower and an even mightier 597 ft-lbs. of torque. Both engines will be SOHC with four valves per cylinder and feature Piezoelectric fuel injectors, like the kind Ford is rumored to be using on its next Powerstroke diesel, and variable nozzle turbochargers..."

Actually I posted this info in this threadasking about the possiblity of this engine (possibly part of the mopar family) possibly being a "crate engine" that on could purchase from the company. Jeep drop in?
zband is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #29
pbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zband
Actually I posted this info in this threadasking about the possiblity of this engine (possibly part of the mopar family) possibly being a "crate engine" that on could purchase from the company. Jeep drop in?
Those engines might be a little hard to put in a Jeep.

These sound like the same engines mentioned in this PDF. Note how the V6 weighs almost 700lb and the V8 almost 800lb.

In comparison the 2.8L I4 CRD and 3.0L V6 CRD are both in the 450-500lb range.

Those Cummins engines are meant for the likes of a Dakota, Durango/Aspen, and the full-size trucks.
Unread 08-10-2006, 12:38 AM   #30
Polaris

who told you about the 3.0L diesel? When is your "ordered" JK coming in? Why are you such a persistent asshat?
ORIGINAL Black Jeep Club Member #34

ThePointbreak.org | Mods and Wheeling pics
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.