Dam i figured out why my jeep cant have 2.8diesel arrrgh - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Dam i figured out why my jeep cant have 2.8diesel arrrgh

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 08-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
4.0v8eater

Dam i figured out why my jeep cant have 2.8diesel arrrgh

New emission standards make it expensive to meet EPA regulations. So ive been told it will come with the 3.0 diesel. I hope its got good gas mileage.

4.0v8eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
newguy66

2008 JK Wrangler 

Jeep 2.8diesel

I have been told that the JK will not get the new 3.0L diesel.The engine and trany
are to big and will not fit.The Grand Cherokee and Commander will get the new 3.0L
diesel 1st quarter of 2007.It's funny,I was in Amsterdam last month and saw new model Grand Cherokee's with CRD'S.
newguy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Your the tard that said you already ordered one.
Unread 08-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
jhtolatc
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
Your the tard that said you already ordered one.
Sounds like he's trying to back out of the corner.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member #1944[/B]
jhtolatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
newguy66

2008 JK Wrangler 

Diesel engines.

While we are on the subject of diesel engines.I found this silly video of a yuppy dad
and his loser son driving the famly Mercedes.Its call ''Diesel in the USA''.I don't think
this is the same Mercedes diesel the Jeep Grand Cherokee will have on 07.Enjoy.

http://www.daimlerchryslertvmedia.co...9/content.html
Unread 08-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Location: royal oak michigan (hometown of DR. JACK KEVORKIAN)
Dont flame me for getting too far off topic here. I heard on the radio that BMW is coming out with a new diesel that gets 35 mpg when you ride it hard and gets over 50 mpg when you baby it. the reason i bring this up is other auto makers are making performance diesels that meet US EPA standards.

I used to drive a "freightliner" van made by chrysler (like UPS and FedEX sometimes use). it had a 5 cyl mercedes diesel engine in it that kicked azz. it got over 25 mpg (I usually had over 1200 lbs of cargo in it) , had enough torque to pull a house, and didnt smell like diesels typically do. I would give my right arm for that engine in a wrangler.
Unread 08-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
dirtbagofva
2010 JK Wrangler 

Auto makers are not real happy with the EPA...The fuel that is required (15ppm) is not at the pump yet....so where are you going to fil up?
Unread 08-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
pbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagofva
The fuel that is required (15ppm) is not at the pump yet....so where are you going to fil up?
The cutoff date is Oct 1 2006. Funny how they keep saying that the diesel WKs (and the MB vehicles with the same engine) will be available for purchase in the US in October...
Unread 08-07-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
pbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy66
I have been told that the JK will not get the new 3.0L diesel.The engine and trany
are to big and will not fit.
Correct, if a US JK ever gets a diesel it'll be the VM 2.8L CRD just like it's Euro bretheren.
Quote:
The Grand Cherokee and Commander will get the new 3.0L
diesel 1st quarter of 2007. It's funny,I was in Amsterdam last month and saw new model Grand Cherokee's with CRD'S.
European Grand Cherokees have had diesels for the better part of a decade... I think they got a MB 2.7L I5 diesel in 1999.

Europeans have higher quality diesel fuel... those engines will die on the garbage they currently sell in the USA, and if the engine itself isn't damaged the engine computer won't let the engine start due to the damage to the emissions equipment.

That's why you won't be able to get one until October - that's when you are guaranteed to have ULSD at the pump.
Unread 08-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #10
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0v8eater
New emission standards make it expensive to meet EPA regulations. So ive been told it will come with the 3.0 diesel. I hope its got good gas mileage.

Troll....

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #11
zband
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes , pbrutsch- I too have read ( although I have to search for the link) that the Wrangler will get an updated VM 2.8 (US spec) not the 3.0 MB. But personally I don't think its because of size. Anything IMO can be made to fit, rather I think the wrangler will end up with the 2.8 is the issue of cost. I am sure that 2.8 is a cheaper engine than the MB. Remember the GC is the "premier" SUV for DC- so it can have a more expensive engine and the bean counters assume that the public will pay for it. The wrangler on the other hand will top out in the low 30 K. Anything higher than that any your in GC price territory.
zband is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #12
newguy66

2008 JK Wrangler 

That's why you won't be able to get one until October - that's when you are guaranteed to have ULSD at the pump.

We already have ULSD and all grades of Bio Diesel here in North West Florida.What do you mean by......''That's why you won't be able to get one until October.''
Unread 08-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #13
newguy66

2008 JK Wrangler 

Updated VM 2.8 (US spec)?

Zband,has DC given a ''release'' date for this engine?
Unread 08-07-2006, 09:59 AM   #14
zband
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, its just Internet speculation. I wish there was something more concrete. But speculation, rumor or whatever you want to call it, the diesel line up for Jeep is important- because in the next 3 years (and again in 2011) CAFE standards are going to rise, this time CAFE will include trucks and SUV's. Jeep is in a poor position because 95% of their vehicles are SUV's/trucks so they will be forced (its about time) to increase their MPG over their entire fleet, because ultimately Jeep is pulling down the numbers for DC. So its the diesel that will save them - at least in the next 3-5 years. Of course they could be developing some new, super, hybrid engine, but again, anything like that wont see the light of day for the next couple of years - and will be expensive - so rule out use in a Wrangler. I really cant see jeep going in any other direction. At least for now.
zband is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #15
ghostship
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Zband,has DC given a ''release'' date for this engine?
Yes, that date is NEVER. DC has already announced that it is not economically feasible to redesign the 2.8L CRD to make it compliant with 2007 EPA reg's, much less for the 2008 changes and beyond. That's why they are no longer using that engine in the Liberty, and why it's only used in the JK for export only.

DC has not announced the 3.0L CRD for the JK, nor have they announced a Flex Fuel Engine option for it. Any post to the contrary is pure speculation at this point.
ghostship is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.