Cylinder 4 Misfire/CEL on - can I still drive it? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cylinder 4 Misfire/CEL on - can I still drive it?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

They didn't give you a printout showing what was replaced?

73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #17
streetrod2001
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Should have given a printout, just had the left head replaced on my 12 model due to the misfiring on cylinder 6. Roughly 30K miles on it when it started idling a little rough and throwing the code.

streetrod2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I seen the print out on ours. you get a new head with valves. the needed gaskets. fluids...etc....they did not show the cost is black lined.? odd

we had a gm throw a water pump at 14K. I figured not a big deal. the warranty covered it the paper work showed the cost too. total for a water pump on a 2008 LNF2.0di and labor @8<!!! hours...1200+$!

I bought a crate 454ci with forged everything stock 12.75 compression for 2200$ back in 1983, NEW. Ya and today I get a water pump?
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
No such things as "soft codes",there is pending codes.
kinda like saying there is no such thing as Apples - only Washington Reds.

From the very first on board computer management systems on US vehicles in the mid 80s, SAE (following EPA mandates) specified TWO types of malfunction indications within the architecture - soft fault and hard fault. SAE used those terms to follow the same terminology that computer programmers use for code type in the pRom (in computer programming hard code is instruction that is run as is - soft code is shaped by user input such as "enter license activation"). In automotive architecture soft faults being codes that are "out of range" for a brief period with the allowable period of out of range before writing as hard being dictated by EPA - while hard faults being caused by a sensor or solenoid that is Open, shorted to ground or shorted to power!

With OBDI the soft fault codes (and in OBDI they were specifically called soft faults NOT pending) were NOT displayed with flashes of the mil at 5Xkey cycle - only the hard fault codes were. And you knew there were soft codes because the light would randomly flash three times (most manufacturers - some used a five flash sequence)...

With OBDII (following fast growing Japanese standards) came adding the term pending to most of the soft fault codes - simply because both soft and hard codes became readable in live time - a "soft code pending write as hard" was shortened for clearer communication at service tech level (as were conflict and suspend - different types of soft faults). As well as the ability to SEE this code before it does become hard.

Kenworth, Lamborgini, Volvo all still use the term soft fault (and in their architecture some soft fault codes are further sub setted as "non essential" such as change oil, change air filter etc)

Yes Jeep (chrysler) uses the term pending for all of the displayable soft faults their system is capable of writing as hard - so you are correct - that is the term one should use when discussing Jeeps in particular (and all of the big three for that matter). But what about conflict and suspend? BOTH also soft faults with conflict and suspend only able to be read with a Mode 6 capable diagnostic tool!

PENDING:
A condition where the Task Manager/ Diagnostic Executive does not run a monitor “pending” the "self resolution" of a condition that has stored a DTC and turned on the MIL.

SUSPEND:
A condition where monitor test results are not recorded, since the PCM is still waiting for test results from another monitor.

CONFLICT:
A condition where a monitor does not run because another monitor is running.

However when discussing computer control system overall - it is VERY correct to use soft and hard (and aftermarket programmers like Holley, MSD etc are setup as soft and hard in THEIR terminology - the MSD Atomic EFI does NOT have pendings - it does however store soft faults for reading through the handheld). Hence the parenthetical comparison to pending I used in my post - referring to soft (pending) codes so that even someone reading at a detail level more refined than the high level overview I was making would understand... and as such even soft (conflict) or soft (suspend) would be acceptable ways to communicate the coding's value to overall system function...

bottom line pending codes ARE still and always will be soft (out of parameter) fault trouble codes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.