Cut exhaust crossover or deal with it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cut exhaust crossover or deal with it?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
bobwilson2020
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cut exhaust crossover or deal with it?

I need advice from people smarter than me...

I'm in the process of replacing throwout bearing, clutch, PP, etc. and in a how-to the poster wondered after the fact about cutting the exhaust crossover section under the transmission, then re-attaching with a couple of exhaust clamps. This got me curious but I can't find anyone else who's tried this.

That makes me think it's not the best idea. If it was, there would be more stuff about it.

Here's what I'm thinking:

PROS
Accessing/removing the trans would be much easier
Not having to remove the exhaust would be much easier
Changing trans fluid would be somewhat easier (I made a tool for this, so that's hot a huge PRO)
It's below all O2 sensors so I doubt they would be affected.

CONS
Increased chance of exhaust leak
Two cuts could add flex (Would pass. side need a hangar?)

I'm sure I'm missing some pros and cons, or I may be way off in my thinking, so feel free to add your thoughts. All thoughts and help is very appreciated!

bobwilson2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
bobwilson2020
2007 JK Wrangler 

If anyone needs to know vehicle stuff:

2007 Wrangler X
Manual trans (or I wouldn't be doing this)
2-door

I thought that was in my profile to the left but I'm not seeing it. First post noob issues.
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

I did it. Only one cut. Joined it with a coupler and clamps. No problem, and made dropping the transmission much, much easier.
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
bobwilson2020
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan View Post
I did it. Only one cut. Joined it with a coupler and clamps. No problem, and made dropping the transmission much, much easier.
Thanks for the info. Where was your one cut?
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson2020
Thanks for the info. Where was your one cut?
Driver's side just past the transmission drop point.
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
bobwilson2020
2007 JK Wrangler 

With that cut location, removing the passenger side seems to be the harder of the two sides. But easier than both together I'm sure.
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson2020
With that cut location, removing the passenger side seems to be the harder of the two sides. But easier than both together I'm sure.
The nuts are captured on the top side of the manifold. A long extension or two makes the passenger side relatively easy to remove.
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
bobwilson2020
2007 JK Wrangler 

I grabbed an extra extension last night for this exact thing.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.