Custom homebuilt aux. lights under $200 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom homebuilt aux. lights under $200

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Custom homebuilt aux. lights under $200

I wanted some good aux. lighting that would compliment my Cibie Z-beam headlights, didn't find anything, so I made my own.
These lights are built using Hella H-4 headlights, with two switches in the cab for operating the high/low beams.
I bought the buckets from speedway and repainted them. The harness was built by rallylights.
I also took the time to remove the cheapie harnesses from previous lights.

005.jpg   008.jpg   013.jpg   017.jpg   018.jpg  

Unread 01-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

The cab work was easy, I did have to make a jumper wire for the second switch. Left switch is low beam, right switch is high beam...

It did get messy at times.
021.jpg   023.jpg   024.jpg  
Unread 01-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Getting three 14g wires into the buckets was a challenge, I had to ream out the stem in order to get them in, and pull like crazy.

Last pics are after completion, it's very cool to have high and low beam aux. lights. It got a little cold for pic taking....
026.jpg   027.jpg   029.jpg   030.jpg   034.jpg  

Unread 01-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

These are all under $200 too, and there is a lot less work to be done:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...&pmx=200&srt=h

I guess you just love making your own stuff?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

They look great Joel
Having the option of beam patterns as well as using standard off the shelf bulbs makes them very user friendly.
I'll link this in the F.A.Q. when I get a chance
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Very, very nice and great job. I’ve never heard of high and low beams for auxiliary lighting before, very ingenious. If I remember correctly you had talked a while back about building some lights, are these the ones? I think that goes without saying but I need to know just to clear things up things for my overloaded old brain.

I think your phrase “It got a little cold for pic taking....” is an understatement at best.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
These are all under $200 too, and there is a lot less work to be done:

I guess you just love making your own stuff?
Why rain on someone’s parade? Even if you can buy something for less you don’t get the satisfaction of creating a product that is unique and original. Don’t know if you have ever fabricated something for your Jeep but if not give it try, you’ll be amazed at the amount of work it takes from the dream stage to final product, even the simplest of things take a lot of thought.

These lights that Joel made are no hack job and are put together very professionally. Creating/fabricating something yourself is extremely rewarding. A lot of times it’s not about the money but instead…well maybe you wouldn’t understand.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Very, very nice and great job. I’ve never heard of high and low beams for auxiliary lighting before, very ingenious. If I remember correctly you had talked a while back about building some lights, are these the ones? I think that goes without saying but I need to know just to clear things up things for my overloaded old brain.

I think your phrase “It got a little cold for pic taking....” is an understatement at best.
Yes John, these are the lights that I was talking about. Thank you for the compliment too, the high/low beam option is incredible, crazy amount of light from these H-4 Hellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Why rain on someone’s parade? Even if you can buy something for less you don’t get the satisfaction of creating a product that is unique and original. Don’t know if you have ever fabricated something for your Jeep but if not give it try, you’ll be amazed at the amount of work it takes from the dream stage to final product, even the simplest of things take a lot of thought.

These lights that Joel made are no hack job and are put together very professionally. Creating/fabricating something yourself is extremely rewarding. A lot of times it’s not about the money but instead…well maybe you wouldn’t understand.
Well said! These H-4's will blow away those lights from Q-Tec...

I did enjoy working out all the details, lots of second guessing..lol

As far as the cost, the harness was only $92, both buckets were only $50, the rest of the stuff I already had, so my cost was $142. But you're right, it's not about the money!
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
SteveBad
2011 JK Wrangler 

Lookin' good! Hey, what's all that fluffy stuff covering your rig ?
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Very nice! Like having two vehicle's worth of forward lighting!! Should provide an excellent, proficient source of extra light when needed.
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBad View Post
Lookin' good! Hey, what's all that fluffy stuff covering your rig ?
Bad timing...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2U5H View Post
Very nice! Like having two vehicle's worth of forward lighting!! Should provide an excellent, proficient source of extra light when needed.
YES...four headlights, crazy amount of light. Now I'm working on better mounting brackets. These have so much forward light that they need aimed perfectly so as to not blind oncoming traffic.
Unread 08-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was just staring at my KC pencil beams I have lying in the garage and thinking how great having Hi/lo aux lights would be. Thanks for this write up definately something I'm going to look to do in the future, I already have a h4 harness, the lights and bulbs, all I need now is some E-codes that'll fit.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #13
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
I was just staring at my KC pencil beams I have lying in the garage and thinking how great having Hi/lo aux lights would be. Thanks for this write up definately something I'm going to look to do in the future, I already have a h4 harness, the lights and bulbs, all I need now is some E-codes that'll fit.
This was a fun project(except for the snow!) Since you have most of the stuff, it'll be a breeze....

Post up some pics when you finish, I'd really like to see them.
Unread 08-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
This was a fun project(except for the snow!) Since you have most of the stuff, it'll be a breeze....

Post up some pics when you finish, I'd really like to see them.
Yep! Might be a little slow. Classes just started and textbooks are more $$$ than I expected they'd be.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
bigbentx

Nice write up. Might be worth trying myself. GO STEELERS!
bigbentx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.