Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Custom built dual 8" sub enclosure (10" coming soon)

26K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  Jeeperay 
#1 ·
The guys at the shop I work at just got done making a custom sub enclosure that fits under the seat of a 4 door JK. It will house (2) 8" or 10" down-firing subs.
A national sub box manufacturer contacted us to make the first prototype so they can start producing them. We designed and fabricated the 8" enclosure for one of our customers (see pics) and will be making the 10" box for actual production.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks good. I'm interested in one of these, in the dual 10" version. Might I suggest the "JEEP" lettering go in the middle of the back seats instead of off to the side. What is the internal airspace? Can you cut the holes different diameters to accomodate different sized 10's, like a JL Audio 10W6v2? (Assuming there is enough depth) I'm interested. I have a JL Audio 10W7 in a Pro Wedge inclosure which isn't enough bass for me and takes up too much room in the cargo area.

#4 ·
that's very cool. i'd be interested in one of these.
when i bought my jeep from carmax i was supprised to find that the guy who owned it before me upgraded the rest of the speakers and had installed a kicker amp in the storage bin in the trunk. looks like he took the sub/s with him though. i definately don't want to lose the storage room in the trunk area so this is perfect for my needs :)

#8 ·
True, the box inhibits the complete folding down of the rear seats. There is only enough room for shallow mount 10's, not JL's. The customer had a dual 8 box and an amp in the cargo area and he wanted to free up the space. We made the custom enclosure under the seats and mounted his amp under the dash on the driver kick area.
I live on the outskirts of Whitehall on Duck Lake Rd.

It's a Jaap thing... You no understand.

#11 ·
calys003 said:
Is it one enclosure or is it two? What is the inside cubic feet?
I'm not sure about the cubic feet, but I could get that for you. My coworker fabricated it so I don't have all the specifics. It is a single enclosure with two openings for subs. I've been made aware that I shouldn't be conducting "business" talk on here unless I'm a vendor. My intentions aren't to sell these on here so I apologize if I came off as a spammer or something. I'm merely just sharing a Jeep related thing with everyone.

#12 ·
bobrio said:
You got pictures of the amp install under the dash, I am trying to locate a amp for a speaker install.
I have a pic on my computer, so when I get to it tonight I'll post it up for you. I know it wasn't the easiest thing to do as the guy who made the box installed the amp. Needless to say, he's not the smallest guy to ever lay on his back and try to hold an amp up while driving screws in with a drill. Big guys aren't made for small Jeeps. Lol

#13 ·
I had a under seat enclosure like that in my old Chevy CC. It hit pretty hard w/ the right subs. I was running Elemental Designs. I would be interested in this box, if it comes to market...

I'd like to know internal air space and max mounting depth...

#21 ·
I'm guessing the rear seats had to be unbolted to get that box under there? You should also look into making a box that's only under one of the seats so that the other seat can still be folded down. I would really hate to lose that functionality.

I'm guessing that since the rear seat of the two door resides in between the wheel wells, the available space is too limited for a pair of subs, but it may still be feasible to make a single sub enclosure with some space for an amp to be mounted onto it.

#22 ·
I think that since the seat in the 2dr rides directly on the floor there's not just "limited" space... there's NO space to build a box of any type under it.

#24 ·
You have inspired me. I have built a dozen or more enclosures and had almost forgotten the shallow mount MBQ 12" sub in my garage without a home.

Maybe I can build a single enclosure for the 60% side of the fold down portion of my back seat...hmmmm...

...gotta love the forums...:cheers2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.