Custom Build: JK Electrical Panel - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom Build: JK Electrical Panel

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 08-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #16
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just because you priced out an expensive, sub-optimal solution, doesn't mean that DIY is not the way to go (:

waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #17
rubrock

True...it's pricey stuff....hey...why not use quality parts. (not sure Painless is quality).
I built both of my bumpers and swing gate because I wanted something custom..but it took me weeks of cutting, welding, grinding, machining and I had fun doing it.
I got what I wanted out of the project that someone else did not make.
Was it cheaper..hell no! I could have bought three sets of bumpers for what I put into mine. But if someone has what I need and it suits the bill...hey I will pay for it to free up my time to go wheeling.
My 1947 flat fender had kept me very busy..but there was not a lot of aftermarket goodies for it, so I fabricated parts for it. The same thing with my 1978 CJ-5..lot's of work.
But I will tell you, there are lot's of cool stuff for my TJ & JK out there and I could get off the trail and hit the road with air conditioning and cruise control on!
So what I am saying is, I to love to fab my own stuff. It gives me the appreciation for the guys who go ahead and make the aftermarket equipment (like the small guys like spod). I understand why things cost so much for these guys to build, especially if it's made here in the US.
I'm just standing up for the small guys..that's all.
Like I said, your project is very nice and it is what you wanted. Spod does not have what you wanted. For others, yes, maybe no, but to me the price for their system is justified my project.
rubrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #18
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

Forgive me for the stupid question, but I'm trying to figure out how many amps the stock fogs draw. Planning some mods for my (yet to be delivered) new Rubi and can't find the specs anywhere. Are the both running on a 30A fuse?
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #19
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjk View Post
Forgive me for the stupid question, but I'm trying to figure out how many amps the stock fogs draw. Planning some mods for my (yet to be delivered) new Rubi and can't find the specs anywhere. Are the both running on a 30A fuse?
The stock fogs cannot take much. I tried putting a slightly higher than stock bulb in there and it didn't work. The way to get around this is to make the fog light mod described in the wiring diagram above. Essentially, you wire the stock switch to a relay, and use the relay (which draws directly from the battery via a fuse) to power the fogs. If you go this route, you can put in as much watts to the fogs as you want - provided you use a suitable relay, wiring, and fog bulb - and still use the stock fog switch to operate the thing.

From my experience, you can't really upgrade the bulb in the fog lights without making the relay mod.
Unread 08-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #20
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog View Post
The stock fogs cannot take much. I tried putting a slightly higher than stock bulb in there and it didn't work. The way to get around this is to make the fog light mod described in the wiring diagram above. Essentially, you wire the stock switch to a relay, and use the relay (which draws directly from the battery via a fuse) to power the fogs. If you go this route, you can put in as much watts to the fogs as you want - provided you use a suitable relay, wiring, and fog bulb - and still use the stock fog switch to operate the thing.

From my experience, you can't really upgrade the bulb in the fog lights without making the relay mod.
I was planning on using Xmitter 6" bars in their place.

http://www.visionxoffroad.com/products/led/xmitterbar/

These things only draw 2 amps each. The stocks gotta draw that much, right?
Unread 08-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #21
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I was planning on using Xmitter 6" bars in their place.http://www.visionxoffroad.com/products/led/xmitterbar/

These things only draw 2 amps each. The stocks gotta draw that much, right?
Oh, yeah, sure. But those things are not going to fit in the stock fog light openings, so why disable the stock fogs to use this switch, rather than just running another switch? Maybe I don't understand what you mean (:
Unread 08-04-2008, 01:39 AM   #22
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog View Post
Oh, yeah, sure. But those things are not going to fit in the stock fog light openings, so why disable the stock fogs to use this switch, rather than just running another switch? Maybe I don't understand what you mean (:
When I replace the bumper, I am planning on using stock wiring to run the Xmitters on the new bumper. I'm gonna have the new bumper built with fog cutouts for the Xmitters and wanted to ensure that I'd be good with running them on the stock wiring.

Looks like it'll be fine...
Unread 08-04-2008, 01:50 AM   #23
OhanaTrails

texasdog,

Brah, you got some skillzzz! Looking good! Definitely gonna solicit your assitance once I hit the "light mod" phase of my build up

Stock Jeepney
OhanaTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 03:37 AM   #24
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
When I replace the bumper, I am planning on using stock wiring to run the Xmitters on the new bumper. I'm gonna have the new bumper built with fog cutouts for the Xmitters and wanted to ensure that I'd be good with running them on the stock wiring.
Oh, I see. Well, with that plan, yeah, you should be fine. If those new lights are really drawing only 2A, you will not have any problems at all. Look forward to seeing your results (:
Unread 10-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #25
Pylot7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Texasdog I just want to say thanks and a big jeep wave to you!

I studied what you did and created a panel similar to yours mounted on a piece of plexiglas with four relays and room for two more. Hooked it all up to a Daystar switch panel.

Works great! Looks professional! And I know that all of the circuits are fully fused so nothing is going to burn down.

With all of the potential for electric add ons for a Jeep an aux fuse panel is just about mandatory and getting it right is not hard if you have a great example to follow along.

Thanks again for all of your explanations and pictures! See you on the trail
Pylot7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #26
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks really nice! I'm going to be setting up something similar for my XJ so I'll tell you how it goes. From OTRSTTW I'm getting a replacement switch for my rear wiper, momentary switch for defrost, E-Fan override switch, fog switch for my bumper lights, lightning bolt switch for my inverter, and a "work light" switch for my roof rack lights ,

In the end I'll end up custom fitting the panel into the factory area and I'll use some of your diagrams to help me set it all up. Good news is defrost and wiper wiring is already right there, and e-fan override is hooked up to the e-fan relay so I only need a three relay setup. Anybody have some advice on where to stash a relay board for an XJ? I was hoping to keep it in the cockpit just for waterproofing reasons.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #27
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Very clean ,did you put an Optima in ? a Premere power alt ? I really like how tight that looks . Very cool !
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #28
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Where did you order the Cole Hersee relays from? I want a couple haha

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #29
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

I miss Tex......

The good ol' days.......
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #30
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

do you really?

someone misses him....

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.