JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Custom Build: JK Electrical Panel (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/custom-build-jk-electrical-panel-589165/)

waterboarder 07-31-2008 11:57 PM

Custom Build: JK Electrical Panel

5 Attachment(s)
Introduction
As you may know, I have had a CoolTech 5 switch panel installed since December but it has not been wired up to anything. I've been waiting until I determine all of my electrical needs so I can, hopefully, do it all at once and do a nice and clean job of things. Well, I believe I am there.

FWIW - previous electrical related mods leading up to this include:
  1. Custom bumper-based reverse lights (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/blogs/%user_name%/-a.html)
  2. Re-wiring my stock fog lights to use a relay and higher wattage bulbs (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/blogs/%user_name%/-a.html)
  3. Preparing my rear bumper for the Mopar 7-pin wiring harness (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/installing-mopar-7-pin-trailer-adapter-brake-controller-jk-586378/)
  4. Installing a magnetic switch to operate my garage door opener (http://blogs.jeepforum.com/texasdog/...h_part_1_of_2/)
  5. Making and installing a wiring harness for this switch panel (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/cooltech-5-switch-panel-jk-wiring-583577/)
  6. Acquiring a Tekonsha P3 electric trailer brake controller.
Having done all of that, and some additional thinking about my electrical needs (including planning for future mods), this is what I've come up with.

Drawbacks
I realize it isn't ideal or perfect, but this is the best I could do. It's not water proof, but I really don't see that being a problem for me. If it turns out to be a problem, I can re-do the panel with waterproof connectors or encase all the connections in clear silicon goo. Also, changing a fuse will be a real pain in the ***. Unfortunately, there isn't much room in the engine compartment for what I wanted to do and install options are rather limited. Hopefully, I will not need to change a fuse very often.

Features
I've now re-wired my stock fogs to have an alternate switch, so I can turn them on when the headlights are off, or if the high-beams are on. I've eliminated all of the oddball wiring that came with my PIAA lights (relay, ignition tie-in, switch, etc.). I can turn them on at will as well. I've also improved the crappy wiring job the dealer did on the Mopar Remote Start (MRS) install, with respect to the wiring to the TIPM, wiring to the battery and the relay it uses. I can now turn on my reverse lights via a switch, in addition to having them come on automatically when in reverse (trailer reverse lights will do whatever the Jeep reverse lights are doing). I can now activate a trailer accessory (undefined at this time) via a switch on the switch panel.

To Do
With this switch panel now in place and my previous electrical work, I am now ready to install the Mopar 7-pin wiring harness, run my additional electrical wires to the rear, and install the trailer brake controller and its associated wiring. That will complete my immediate mod plans. Future plans include backup and forward cameras and an LCD pop-up screen for the cameras.

Cost Info
Total project cost info, excluding previous work that uses the panel, is about $200 as follows:
  1. (5) Cole Hersee Relays SPDT 40 A 12V RC-400112-NN $20.85
  2. (2) Bussman AMG 100/300A Fuse Holders $40.30
  3. (1) Blue Sea 12-space fuse box $50.00
  4. (2) FUSE 125A $13.70
  5. (1) Cole Hersey 30062-20 Circuit Breaker, 12V 20A Type 1 $19.47
  6. (2) Diodes, NTE5812 $3.13
  7. (6) Plated Wire Lugs, 8GA $2.70
  8. (1) 18"x24" Plexiglass (a lot left over) $14.84
  9. (1) set of stainless steel hardware $10.00 (est.)
  10. (1) set of misc wires (not including harnesses) $10.00 (est.)
  11. (1) set of misc. wire connectors $10.00 (est.)
  12. (1) set of assorted fuses $10.00 (est.)

FWIW, the wiring harness I made for the 5 switch panel cost about $20 in wiring and related materials.
The reverse light solution was under $25.
The fog light switch mod was under $5 in miscellaneous wiring materials plus the cost of the new yellow bulbs ($25, plus $6 shipping).
The garage door opener mod was about $15 in wiring materials ($10 for the reed switch).
The CoolTech switch panel with switches was $85 (plus $12 shipping).
The Mopar 7-pin wiring harness was about $80 from the local dealer (they had 1 in stock).
The Tekonsha P3 electric brake controller was about $145 (with shipping).

Additional Install Info:
Panel is held in via friction. There is plenty of it - it's not going anywhere. It's of course also secured to the battery via the cables, but that's not really the primary mechanism for holding it in place (:

Technical Details
Panel plexiglass base is 8x11 inches.

The silver tape you see is Shureflex SF-683. It's a heat resistant tape, good for 200F. Under that in most places is the standard plastic split tunnel stuff, which is rated for 250F.

14GA on all wires, except 10GA on lines connecting to battery and line from 125A fuse to fuse box.

Switch Panel Relay Bank info:
Switch Relays: Cole Hersee SPDT 40A 12V # RC-400-112-NN

Mopar Remote Start (MRS) Relay Info:
Tyco V23134-A1052-C643 12V -+06191
As configured during dealer install (which was a crappy job):
Green from cabin: 85, Gray to TIPM: 30, Red to Battery: 86/87,20A fuse

125A Fuse Holder:
Bussman (rated for 300A)

Circuit Breaker:
Cole Hersee 30062-20 Type 1 Auto Resetting 20A
Trailer brake controller power wire. The P3 install instructions specifically call for a 20A type 1 circuit breaker.

Fuse Box:
1 MRS Relay 20A. Relay supplied by dealer install.
3 Garage Door Opener 10A. Genie hand-held unit, modified. See notes.
5 Rear 12v accessory outlet 20A. Will install outlet in cargo area.
7 Backup Camera XXA. Future modification/install.
9 Forward Camera XXA. Future modification/install.
11 LCD Screen (for cameras) XXA. Future modification/install.

2 Switch 5 (yellow wire to switch) Relay XXA. Reserved for future modification/install.
4 Switch 4 (red to wire to switch) Relay 20A. Mopar 7-pin trailer harness hot wire.
6 Switch 3 (blue wire to switch) Relay 20A. Bumper reverse lights, alternate trigger.
8 Switch 2 (green wire to switch) Relay 30A. PIAA Driving Lights.
10 Switch 1 (brown wire to switch) Relay 30A. Stock fog lights (see note below).
12 Power to switches (black wire) 10A. Switches in 5-way panel (see note below).

Fuse Box Line 3 Notes:
It's a total guess as to how many amps this unit draws. I can always change the fuse if I run into problems.

Fuse Box Line 6 Notes:
Install dual-diode segment, with one line connecting to this line and the other connecting to the tail light reverse line. Note that IF you are using high wattage custom reverse lights (mine are not high wattage) you should connect this wire and the stock tail light wire to a relay trigger pole, and then use the relay to trigger the lights (you'll need to run another power line from the battery for the relay, or try tapping off the one you already ran and connected to the trigger pole).

Fuse Box Line 10 Notes:
Relay activation input line (brown) splits into two, with an in-line diode on each. One end connects to switch #1
in switch panel. The second end connects to the stock fog light wiring switch, via the load line to the right
light.

Fuse Box Line 12 Notes:
This line splits into 5 lines, with each one connecting to a a switch power line in the switch panel wiring
harness (in the engine area). I could have run one power line into the cabin, and then split into 5 just
before the switch panel. This would have saved wire and made a smaller harness - but I didn't do it this way.

Wires to run to rear of Jeep:
1). Mopar 7-pin hot wire (existing wiring harness) Red (fuse box #4)
2). Mopar 7-pin Trailer Brake Wire (existing wiring harness) Blue (brake controller)
3). Mopar 7-pin Ground (existing wiring harness) White (fuse box #4)
4). Bumper Reverse Lights Yellow (fuse box #6)
5). 12v accessory outlet Green (fuse box #5)
6). Backup Camera Brown (fuse box #7)
7). Ground White (fuse box ground)

Pictures
See attached. 5 in this post, 5 in the next post, 4 in the post after that.

waterboarder 07-31-2008 11:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pictures
See attached. 5 in previous post, 5 in this post, 4 in the next post.

waterboarder 08-01-2008 12:00 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Pictures
See attached. 10 in the previous two posts, 4 in this post.

BiGEN 08-01-2008 05:11 AM

wow... very cool.. thats to high tech for me.. ummm u need to clean the inside of ur jeep.. lil dusty.. lol

BadTime 08-01-2008 08:09 AM

Wow, I've read plans for government weapon systems less detailed than that. Very complete.

N2rock 08-01-2008 08:12 AM

Damn! That is sweet! Nice work! :2thumbsup:

SaharaBlackNo1 08-01-2008 01:23 PM

Which switch is for the ejector seat? Which one is for the rocket launcher and which one is for the oil slick?

That is really, really cool. I don't even understand most of it, but it's really cool. lol I admire the fact that you have the ability to do that and not blow up your jeep. Me, I wired up fog lights and started a fire installing the switch. lol If I attempted what you did, I'd burn my jeep to the ground along with half a city block I think.

Brent_f70 08-01-2008 03:02 PM

T-Dog,
Check out this site for JK switches....Maybe too late but these are really cool and made for the JK.
http://www.4x4spod.com/

waterboarder 08-01-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent_f70 (Post 5523550)
T-Dog,Check out this site for JK switches....Maybe too late but these are really cool and made for the JK.http://www.4x4spod.com/

I've seen that. Have you seen their price? As my mod list demonstrates, I like a premium solution as much as the next guy, but over $400 for some switches? Daaaaammmn.

But even if it were free, it still leaves me substantially short of the functionality I need. All their solution gets me is a setup for 6 switches. I'd still need 6 more fused outlets, plus a 20A Circuit breaker for the trailer brake controller.

rubrock 08-02-2008 01:51 PM

More than just switches...

[QUOTE=texasdog;5523856]I've seen that. Have you seen their price? As my mod list demonstrates, I like a premium solution as much as the next guy, but over $400 for some switches? Daaaaammmn.

For sure this system may not be your solution and I admire your talent to put this system together. (your tally is about $450.00, not including the trailer braking unit). Based on your build pictures..I can see that you would really have an apreciation for the quality that goes into the spod.
I think it's more than just switches though.
It is a complete power distribution system with lot's of circuit
protection, inline circuit breaker, 6 fuses, 1 inline fuse for the switches, 6 diodes for each accessory and six Contura III rocker switches made by Carling Tech.
But for six circuits and a power distribution unit they carry, not too bad when you break it down to all the components involved to make it. Plus each harness on this kit is individually wrapped with high temp abrasive resistant nylon wrap. All the sheet metal is powder coated or anodized. Only 2 8AWG multistrand cables going to the battery...a joy for the stealships maintainance guys.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...o/IMGP3195.jpg
These are just some of the quality connectors used:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../spod-11-1.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...o/DSC04945.jpg
The JK kit:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Source_2-3.jpg

Just another review:
http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.p...highlight=spod

None the less...you did a fricken awesome job on your electrical project!

waterboarder 08-02-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubrock (Post 5526783)
Quote:

Originally Posted by texasdog (Post 5523856)
For sure this system may not be your solution and I admire your talent to put this system together. (your tally is about $450.00, not including the trailer braking unit).

My tally is about $200 for the panel project - another $97 if you want to include the cost of the CoolTech switch panel. If you're getting $450, you must be adding stuff that is not part of the panel that is the topic of this thread or adding it up wrong (:

Quote:

I can see that you would really have an apreciation for the quality that goes into the spod.
Absolutely. I think it is an amazing product and I would love to one.

Quote:

I think it's more than just switches though. It is a complete power distribution system with lot's of circuit protection, inline circuit breaker, 6 fuses, 1 inline fuse for the switches, 6 diodes for each accessory and six Contura III rocker switches made by Carling Tech.
I realize this. But at the end of the day, the functionality provided is 6 switches. The system lets you turn 6 things off and on. (:

I think their product is a great one. Had I not spent a lot of money on other mods, I might even get one. But even if I did, it still wouldn't be enough for my purposes because it doesn't provide enough accessory hookups (only 6 instead of 12) and has no 20A circuit breaker dedicated for the electric brake controller, and no provisions for hooking up the relay for the Mopar Remote Start system. Even with a spod, I'd still have to develop the rest of the functionality I needed myself anyway (:

Thanks for your compliments (:

td

rubrock 08-02-2008 02:14 PM

Your right...I did tally the other components...DuH!
May I ask how long it took you to build your unit?
One of the interesting features of Jeep modifications is the high-level of execution of electrical modifications. While everyone should strive for a top-notch design and installation, it's scarily common to see hacked-up electrical jobs (search the forums), mostly on trailered rigs but sometimes on daily drivers as well. For folks that depend on their rig's reliability in remote locations, that is not an option!
So what ever you do..just do it right the first time!:
Ooops...
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...edamage008.jpg

waterboarder 08-02-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubrock (Post 5526850)
Your right...I did tally the other components...DuH!

Yeah, not really fair - since I would incur those costs no matter what I connected them to (:

Quote:

May I ask how long it took you to build your unit?
I wish I had kept track. Let me look at the receipt for the plexiglass....OK, that's dated 7-25-2008. So, even if I started on that date (and I don't think I did, it was the day after), I finished on 7-31-2008, so that would be one week at most - but I think it was 6 days. That was with working on it off and on, mostly in the evening when I felt like working on it.

Quote:

One of the interesting features of Jeep modifications is the high-level of execution of electrical modifications. While everyone should strive for a top-notch design and installation, it's scarily common to see hacked-up electrical jobs (search the forums), mostly on trailered rigs but sometimes on daily drivers as well. For folks that depend on their rig's reliability in remote locations, that is not an option!
I agree. Hell, I live in Alaska. Definitely do not want to be in the middle of nowhere at -20 or colder and break down somewhere. That's why I decided when I got my Jeep that I'm only going to make any particular mod if I can make it near-factory-like in appearance and performance. I realize that my electrical panel is a bit funky, but without sheet metal bending skills and tools and special electrical connector building tools, it's about the best I could come up with. (:

On the spod - while I realize its switches are high-quality, I don't really care for them. They're huge and take up a lot more space than more simple toggle switches do. Had they used toggles instead of rockers, they could have fit a lot more switches into that little space. I also don't really like the "between the visors" location too much. Both of these critiques aside, had their product cost half as much, I might have seriously considered it and still built my own for the remaining functionality required (:

Sweeney 08-02-2008 05:06 PM

What's that wire in the middle do?

Kidding... nice work!

rubrock 08-03-2008 09:49 AM

Do it yourself kit

I am a Do-It-Yourself guy and I love fabbing up cool toys for my rig, so I started pricing out a "Do-It-Yourself" kit for me for a 6 circuit accessory switching system:
Painless Performance 6-Pack Relay Bank $241.95 (24 wires to hook up) plus many wires running to the battery and all over under my hood.
Cirkit Boss $89.95
West Marine Contura Rocker Switch, SPST Off/On $14.50 x 6 = $87.00
Miscellaneous connectors $15.00 (about 26 )
Wire $15.00 (I think I'm under on this estimate)
Wire wrapping like split-loom of about 15 feet $9.99
and so far I'm up to about $460.00 without shipping costs and time!
And then waiting for all the parts to be shipped to me. Then my driving to Radio Shack a few times ($4.09 a gallon of gas) for the connectors and wire.
I know a six circuit is a bit much, but I figured:
Air-compressor
Rear Light(s)
Rock-Lights
Offroad lights
Map lights
Under hood utility light(s)
And I know I will be adding something else down the road!

Now I had to ask myself, what is my time worth? I could work a few extra hours of O.T. doing what I'm good at..Damn, I should be out wheeling with my buds!!!
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Bear_Run_1.jpg
Hell...give me the phone number of spod..

The time now is 06:10 AM.