Currie Antirocks on a stock JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Currie Antirocks on a stock JK

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
ben_badassjeeps
Vendor

Currie Antirocks on a stock JK

There was a thread going awhile back (found here) where a forum member was asking as to whether or not Currie's Antirock swaybar system could be installed on a stock JK.

I had a set of front and rear Antirocks that was sitting on the shelf for awhile in inventory and much to my wife's chagrin, I figured it was time to take them out of inventory and put them on our Jeep. My Jeep (2010 JK Unlimited) is for the most part completely stock with the exception of having aftermarket Genright bumpers and rocker guards. I'm running the stock 32" BFG mud terrains with the stock 17" wheels.

A few things that came up during the install that were worth noting:
  • It's not a bolt on job and you'll definitely need a second pair of hands to get it done.
  • Plan to need at least 4 1/2 hours to get job done. Go slow and do it right the first time.
  • There will be some minor modifications needed to the Jeep, such as re-routing your break lines and possibly trimming your front or rear bumper to allow for clearance of the swaybar arms depending how flush your bumper(s) sit to the frame.
  • The swarbar links need to be as short as possible. IIRC the kit comes with the 6 1/2" links and our mechanic would have liked these to be even shorter (even after trimming) to ensure that the arms wouldn't come in contact with the front body mount when fully stuffed.

Initial impressions:

I think every thread I've ever read on Antirocks suggests that you'll end up with more body roll than with the stock swaybars. In my experience so far, I find that the new Currie system is stiffer than its stock counter part and its on road and highway handling has been on par if not better than the stock system. I certainly don't get the body lean around corners that I was expecting and I'd be hard pressed to really tell the difference between the two. I'd even go as far to say that I would have no problems letting my wife drive the Jeep with our kids in the back. It's rock solid.

Where I did notice a real significant change was of course off road. I took the Jeep to a local spot just to check clearances and make sure everything was dialed in and had a little fun while I was at it.

One of the first things I noticed when going into corners with lots of bumps and dips, was that I no longer have that side to side rolling wave feeling that I used to have with the stock system. The Currie swaybars allow for all four tires to stay firmly planted on the ground.

Next I tried climbing a few obstacles to see how things looked when fully stuffed. To be fair, I've never liked disconnecting my swaybars. I know it only takes a few minutes to do and it allows for more flex, but I always found when off camber that my Jeep felt tippy and unstable - a generally uncomfortable feeling.

With the new system, I get almost just as much flex as with the stock system (disconnected) and it feels far more solid than it ever did. I'm also really happy that I opted to do both the front and rear system as it really feels well balanced. Overall I couldn't be happier with this system and I have to admit that even though Currie system certainly isn't cheap, it's by far the best mod I've done to this stock JK.

I didn't get chance to take pictures on my first trial run, but I promise to head out and take some photo's later this afternoon for you all.

If you have any questions, or would like me to price out a set for your rig, let me know!

Cheers,

Phone: 778-435-2169
E-mail: ben@badassjeeps.com

Use the coupon code: "jeepforum2014" for a 5% discount on all of our Currie Enterprises, Genright Offroad, RiverRaider Offroad and RCV Performance Gear!
ben_badassjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Very nice write up man! Did you trim the plastic fender well near the upper coil bucket? I've noticed that the top of the sway bar end link likes to hang on the plastic. I took a carpenters knife and just cut off that part that hangs down.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Cool! Thanks for the review.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
ben_badassjeeps
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
Very nice write up man! Did you trim the plastic fender well near the upper coil bucket? I've noticed that the top of the sway bar end link likes to hang on the plastic. I took a carpenters knife and just cut off that part that hangs down.
Can you take a picture of what you're talking about?

I haven't trimmed the fenders yet but I did have to notch out a small section on my aluminum genright stubby bumper to allow the arms to clear.

Use the coupon code: "jeepforum2014" for a 5% discount on all of our Currie Enterprises, Genright Offroad, RiverRaider Offroad and RCV Performance Gear!
Unread 09-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_badassjeeps View Post
Can you take a picture of what you're talking about?

I haven't trimmed the fenders yet but I did have to notch out a small section on my aluminum genright stubby bumper to allow the arms to clear.
So you want me to cut my nap short, put on my shoes, go outside into the furnace? Man, the things I do for this community...
Unread 09-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
ben_badassjeeps
Vendor

LOL.

Priceless.

Unread 09-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Finally....iOS8 sucks *** pretty badly, cant upload pictures online to the forums or photobucket.
img_0257_zps883bfd37.jpg  
Unread 09-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm very happy with Currie Antirocks front and rear on my 2 door JK (used as a daily driver). I noticed on the initial drive that it may have just slightly more sway at the start of a turn or swerve but it's very minimal. After driving for a few days it feels completely normal if not smoother than stock. I have no issues throwing it into a turn or swerving to miss a deer or road kill.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So you want me to cut my nap short, put on my shoes, go outside into the furnace? Man, the things I do for this community...
Unread 09-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
ben_badassjeeps
Vendor

Quote:
Finally....iOS8 sucks *** pretty badly, cant upload pictures online to the forums or photobucket.
Thanks LVCapo!

I didn't notice the links hitting the fender liner, but I'll flex it out and double check for sure. I was hoping to get out yesterday afternoon to take my pictures, but it's been pissing rain for two days straight. The spot I go to turns from a sand pit into a mud pit, which while fun, sucks to get stuck in.

Unread 09-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
ben_badassjeeps
Vendor

So I was taking a closer look at my clearances and it looks like I did hit my body mount with my arms while wheeling. Sucks to put a little nick in the shiny new aluminum arms, but better to find it now rather than blow something up right? I'm tempted to notch out the body mount a little, but our mechanic didn't want me doing that as it can compromise its strength.

Pics to follow.

Unread 09-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #12
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Does it feel steady on the freeway when passing or getting passed by 18 wheelers?
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
ben_badassjeeps
Vendor

Yoda,

I was driving on the highway today and passed many trucks. Its road manners are definitely predictable and it feels rock solid on the road.

Unread 09-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks very much for this thread.....I looked at these, but assumed they would be unsuitable to a regularly driven, near stock, JK that spends a lot of time on the road as a DD.
Look forward to any further pics.
How long did you end up with on the links...front and rear?
LeighP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #15
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
Thanks very much for this thread.....I looked at these, but assumed they would be unsuitable to a regularly driven, near stock, JK that spends a lot of time on the road as a DD.
Look forward to any further pics.
How long did you end up with on the links...front and rear?

A misconception made by many. They do handle and feel different, but they are completely comfortable and suitable for the street and daily driver use in my opinion. I think the disclaimer that Currie has in the description scares many away and by the time it makes it to the forum they are terrible for a DD.

I consider the Antirocks front and rear one of my most favorite mods next to 4.88 gears and Truetracs.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.