crazy shuddering ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > crazy shuddering ?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
JaredBoys
2007 JK Wrangler 

crazy shuddering ?

ok so a few days back I was running through a construction site and ran over a series of bumps in a row.. Straight road, no incline... it started to shudder like the frame was breaking in half... I slowed down and it stopped when I got down to about 25 mph or so... I thought about it and wrote it off to maybe the TSB freaked out b/c of the short series of bumps and whatever...

well today on the way home i'm going about 45-50 mph and around a slight turn ran over a few bumps and again.. felt like I was going to lose control... WTF... anyone else having a problem like this? love this jeep but what the heck man... I had the recall for the TSB thing done months ago... It is weird how all of the sudden this has happened twice in a week. I've had the jeep for about a year, 13k miles and nothing until now.

HELP

99' Cherokee Sport 4 dr, Red
JaredBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
91Jeep07

I've posted before with this problem also... happened to me last summer, took it to the dealer & they asked me to re-create the problem, which of course, I couldn't. Scenario was about 40mph around a slight corner 7 hit a small pothole which sent the front end into a wobble, had to brake about 10mph to stop the shuddering...not sure what the answer is yet.
91Jeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
EmbarkChief

"death wobble"

Well Documented.
EmbarkChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
91Jeep07

"Deathwobble" is not well documented by Chrysler though, most of the previous posts on it occur on lifted jeeps, not on stock suspension.
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

"Death Wobble" is really only a term used by us...and maybe some other enthusiast groups.

Basically, your alignment is out pretty bad and needs to be corrected. Once corrected, you are good to go.

Easy fix.
2007 JK Wrangler Unlimited (Black), 4" SuperliftRanchoExpress Lift, 36" Super Swamper Irok's covering 16" ProComp's, AFE CAI, FlowMaster 40 Series, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, Rock Hard line of undercarriage skids, Warn Powerplant, Shrockworks Mid-width front bumper, Dana 44 Front
tx-Skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

could be the ESP coming on over the bumps, but I would put money on death wobble.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
91Jeep07

It has nothing to do with the alignment loose bots, etc..., had mine checked & was straight as an arrow, ESP would & should not come on over minor potholes, there was no tire slippage to set it off.

From what I could tell, the bump is enought to set the coils resonating
Unread 03-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
TampaJK2008
2008 JK Wrangler 

you just aren't hitting the bumps hard enough...
TampaJK2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
JaredBoys
2007 JK Wrangler 

no lift and i don't see how it can be out of alignment already. bone stock

Unread 03-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Check trackbar tightness. Get tires rebalanced. Those are the 2 major reasons for death wobble.
Unread 03-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
chrisgardner73
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyone View Post
Check trackbar tightness. Get tires rebalanced. Those are the 2 major reasons for death wobble.
Agree! Mine was trackbar related!

This seems odd for a stock JK though!?!?! You would think that it would have come off of the line good to go. However, I found loose bolts here and there when mine delivered...
2007 Rubicon Unlimited / Skyjacker 2.5" Lift / Teraflex Track Bars / JKS Discos / 35x12.50 BFG MT's on 17" Steel Rims / AIRAID CAI / Borla Exhaust / JET Stage One Chip / AIRAID Throttle Body Spacer / Xenon Flares / Garmin Trail Guide / KC Lights / Husky Liners / Alpine iDA-X001 iPod Head Unit / CB / I think that I have a problem....

Just Jeeps of Omaha
chrisgardner73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
JaredBoys
2007 JK Wrangler 

feels tight in the front.. I did notice if you grab the track bar (the one with the steering stabilizer on it). It will rotate up and down a bit. I believe this is normal b/c of the ball joints on the ends. Then again, could be very wrong to have any play at all in it. Can anyone else confirm their front bar does the same thing... I don't see how that could have already developed a problem. I don't take it off road nearly as much as I would like to.

Thanks to anyone that can check theirs for me

Unread 03-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #13
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredBoys View Post
feels tight in the front.. I did notice if you grab the track bar (the one with the steering stabilizer on it). It will rotate up and down a bit. I believe this is normal b/c of the ball joints on the ends
That's not your track bar that's your tie rod and yes it moves due to the ball joints.

Definitely sounds like you were experiencing death wobble. Things to check:

alignment
wheel balance
front track bar bolts for tightness

Best thing to do is have a friend sit in the driver seat and turn the wheel rapidly from side to side. While he/she does this get on the ground and watch all of the bolts in your steering components to see if there is any play (ie. bolts or the bushings that surround them moving from side to side).

If you do notice any play then tighten 'em up.

Use the search feature and you will find about a gazillion threads documenting the cause and effects of death wobble and how to get rid of it.

Any Jeep with loose steering components and or a bad alignment or wheel balance is susceptible to death wobble. It's just the nature of the beast.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.