Crashed my JK into a tree last August.. still problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Crashed my JK into a tree last August.. still problems?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

Crashed my JK into a tree last August.. still problems?

Hey all,

While offroading last year, I went through a mud pit and the windshield wipers never turned on (my bad) and next thing I knew, I had hit a tree... Well I effed the alignment up really bad and if i hit the brakes they would pulsate and sound like crack crack crack when i hit the pedal.. and randomly, even after replacing the right lower control arm (it bent badly) and getting an alignment AND even new tires, every once in awhile, the jeep will still not track straight, and the brake clicking occurs once in every 100 pedal depressions (guesstimate) .. and occasionally while driving (only happened twice), but when Im driving the traction light will randomly flash and a significant pulsating can be felt through the steering wheel, exactly how it pulsed when I had effed up the alignment the first time... how do I check for other damage because to my naked eye, everything LOOKS normal.!? thanks

ctappan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
TheMercenary556
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like a great time to trade for a 2013
TheMercenary556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

lol there's nothing wrong with the 12's & I have wayyyyy too much money in it to do that :/
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Is the steering wheel straight? That will cause the brake clicking which is probably abs. The alignment should have fixed this.

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennis1 View Post
Is the steering wheel straight? That will cause the brake clicking which is probably abs. The alignment should have fixed this.
x2
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennis1 View Post
ESP, which activates the ABS to "correct the path of the vehicle from the current 'slide' that it thinks its on"
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

The steering wheel, despite two alignments , never tracks straight. If the steering wheel is straight, the vehicle will barely aim to the left. Happens 75% of the time. The rest of the time it tracks normally
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
tacjeep99

Sounds to me like you need to get your axle checked over thoroughly to make sure that it is not bent, the upper ball joint hasn't been screwed up and make sure your drag link is adjusted properly. If your control arm was bent badly enough to need replacement then there was probably other damage as well. They may have fixed what was readily apparent without checking further.

You say it doesn't track right, I would also have the frame alignment checked out. I had a CJ-5 that didn't track right. The PO told me he slid off in a ditch while going down the road but it was "ok". After I drove it for awhile I knew there was something wrong with how it drove. Took it to a friend of mine's frame shop. The frame was tweaked and needed to be straightened. He fixed it and it drove great after that.

I hit a rock with my TJ and knocked the front end out of alignment. The Jeep dealer said they could align it, but there would still be a slight pull. They said the upper ball joint needed to be replaced. I had them replace it, align it, and it drives perfectly, and the steering wheel is aligned like it should be.

In short, by your own description, I think you have more hidden damage than you realize. I would get the axle checked to make sure it isn't bent, check the ball joints, and if the problem is still there, I would consider getting the frame alignment checked. When you hit something, the weakest point might give, but the energy from the hit does transfer throughout the vehicle via the frame, axle and body.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

oh my god.. lol thank you this was exactly the response I was looking for ^^. driving down the parkway today, my whole dash lit up and the speedo dropped to zero and the jeep pulled violently to the right and just pulsed....scared the sh** out of me!
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
tacjeep99

Whatever is wrong with your Jeep is fixable, you just need to get the problem figured out. I would start with the ball joints and front axle check first and if that doesn't solve the problem, get the frame checked.
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

hello in whitehouse, my first thought was your front axle is crooked. that is the first thing i would have checked. then the steering wheel. if those two items are ok, i would move on to the steering shaft and steering box and continue to the front end components. did you fix this yourself or have it done? if you had it done, you need to go back to the place that did the repair. involve ins company if you need to.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

unfortunately I did it myself.. and yes I DO remember the axle sitting crooked prior to the new control arm..you think it may still be the case???
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

and if so, any ways to check if its crooked or not? sorry for the repeated response haha
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #14
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

yes there is a way to check it but not something i have done or can explain. hopefully someone else can jump in and explain, or you might need to get to a good body shop and have them give it the once over.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
tacjeep99

You need to take it to a frame and alignment shop. They have the tools and the measuring gages to determine what is going on with your jeep. A body shop, unless they do inhouse frame repair, may not have the right measuring tools to evaluate if your axle or frame is damaged. Base on your latest description of the damage, there is a high likelihood your axle is tweaked, and possibly the frame.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.