Cracked sheild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cracked sheild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
kylejeap
2013 JK Wrangler 

Cracked sheild

Well, took about five months and I got my first ding-crack on the windshield. Normal, I suppose. Had it filled. Does someone make a shield of plexi-glass of some sort that offers more resistance to cracking??

Unread 07-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Google windshield protection. There are several films available, though I haven't used them.
I would consider it though since my wife and I both had to replace windshields this year. $$$
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
kylejeap
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Google windshield protection. There are several films available, though I haven't used them.
I would consider it though since my wife and I both had to replace windshields this year. $$$
I think my GEICO insurance covers window replacement on the comprehensive. I'll check someday soon.
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
xSoFx
2006 WK 

My father had this new product sprayed on his windshield when he bought his 2013 Ram 2500. It was kinda of like bedliner for the windshield, you could say. It can withstand a 20gauge shotgun blast from 20 feet away, or so they say. Pricey though, around $500. It's like a military grade epoxy of sorts.
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
kylejeap
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSoFx View Post
My father had this new product sprayed on his windshield when he bought his 2013 Ram 2500. It was kinda of like bedliner for the windshield, you could say. It can withstand a 20gauge shotgun blast from 20 feet away, or so they say. Pricey though, around $500. It's like a military grade epoxy of sorts.
Gulp!
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'd never broken a windshield before in my life....and now I'm on my third one since February...Farmers covers one a year per policy.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejeap

I think my GEICO insurance covers window replacement on the comprehensive. I'll check someday soon.
Most cover under comp unless they have a glass protection coverage. It varies by state. I have USAA and comp covers the windshield replacement. I keep my comp deductible at $100.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
kylejeap
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post

Most cover under comp unless they have a glass protection coverage. It varies by state. I have USAA and comp covers the windshield replacement. I keep my comp deductible at $100.
I'll have to check out my comp tomorrow morning. The Wrangler I owned in the late 90's I don't believe ever chipped nor broke.
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

I cracked mine before I hit 1000 km. And the bogus insurance with "full glass coverage" carries a $1000 deductible on my plan! Plus I would lose all my safe driving discounts by making the claim
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Geico has glass insur.
I'm going on my second windshield(damn rocks!)
My first one cost 100.00 for a OEM replacement
They do offer a 50.00 replacement thats not and OEM window
I need to call to have it changed again my crack is about a foot long now.
MY NEW JEEP- 2011 JEEP JKUR, Body Armor front bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic winch line,XRC Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, Terafex 2.5in spring lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks,GY 315/70R17 Duratracs, 4.88 G2 gears, Cobra 75 CB

MY OLD JEEP-1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 33" BFG's, 8K winch, SYE, Viking soft top, onboard CO2 and all the recovery straps and equipment
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
T00THD0C
2013 JK Wrangler 

A semi threw a rock at mine last week, put a big star right in my line of vision. I thought I could get it filled but it keeps getting bigger. Getting it replaced next week.
T00THD0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Don't waste your time with films, sprays, and other crap to put on the windshield. You're just throwing money away. When it cracks, just get a new one. Yeah, it sucks, but that's life.

The newer windshields ('11+) are actually thinner than the '07-'10 models, so they're more prone to cracking. My '07 took more rocks to the face than Whitney Houston and never split. I've already gone through three windshields on my '12 in the past 12 months.
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
vegasrubi
2013 JK Wrangler 

rock hit the JK going about 55mph... crack got larger the next morning

Safelite AutoGlass did the OEM replacement work

AAA insurance - Zero glass deductible
it took about 5 mins on the phone to file claim and get appointment

( they would have done mobile install if I had wanted )

broken-winshield.jpg

"It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices"

ROF
vegasrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Safelite is seriously the ****. Very professional and come to you!

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
kylejeap
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00THD0C View Post
A semi threw a rock at mine last week, put a big star right in my line of vision. I thought I could get it filled but it keeps getting bigger. Getting it replaced next week.
My deductible on Gieco is $1000, so if I get a new one in the future I'll pay out of pocket. What is the average cost of a new windshield. Also, can I get a thicker one on my '13? Thank you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.