Cracked freedom top where wing nut bolt is - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cracked freedom top where wing nut bolt is

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
basto
2013 JK Wrangler 

Cracked freedom top where wing nut bolt is

Anyone ever crack a freedom hard top panel at the bolt hole by over tightening it? It looks when I tightened up the bolt on my new 2013, andthe nut on the inside seems to have pulled loose allowing the bolt to hit the inside of the panel and crack it. Waiting to hear if my dealer will cover it.

basto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nope.Future advice, dont overtighten it so its practically bonded the two together. Snugly fit will do just fine. I drove around for a day (highway included) without the sound bar bolts until I realized I forgot to put them back in, nothing bad happend.
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basto View Post
Waiting to hear if my dealer will cover it.
they better cover it. If not, make a scene. As far as I know there is no torque values for it anywhere in the manual. Hand tight means just that, hand tight. Not sure if Chrysler has an arm wrestler testing those but I still cant see how it should be able to get cracked already on 2013.
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
billy mo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did this happen with the rear hard top on or just running the freedom tops? If just running the freedom tops, make sure the plastic feet are in the down position. I know a couple of people that didn't pull them down which pulls the freedom tops lower and allowing for the bolt to go through the fiberglass.
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
basto
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy mo View Post
Did this happen with the rear hard top on or just running the freedom tops? If just running the freedom tops, make sure the plastic feet are in the down position. I know a couple of people that didn't pull them down which pulls the freedom tops lower and allowing for the bolt to go through the fiberglass.
The back was on.I have taken hem off my 2010 a hundred times without an issue. I think it is a defect.
Unread 09-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
basto
2013 JK Wrangler 

After dealer review and talking with chrysler on the phone 3 times they finally said it was under waranty. I tried to get them to over night a panel, or take one off a stock unit but no luck. May panel should be here this week.
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
crossedx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankinyj View Post
I drove around for a day (highway included) without the sound bar bolts until I realized I forgot to put them back in, nothing bad happend.
I bought my jeep a couple months and the first time I pulled the front tops off I never put them back. I don't know if it matters, but I was planning on just leaving it that way so its quicker to pull off and put back on... Unless someone can tell me why that's a bad idea.

Edit: I hit the post button and then realized you were probably talking about the bolts that hold the front of the hard top on and not the big screws for the small front tops.
crossedx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.